Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Scintilla Vertex Magneto

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by De Konjel, Feb 7, 2021.

1. In a box of parts I got I found a Sincilla Vertex Magneto. I have no experience with this type of ignition.
    Can I use this on a Ford Model A engine? It looks cool. How does it work? Can someone give me an introduction to Magneto's. The only numbers on the data plate that I can read are 400-450-1000. IMG_20210207_185933.jpeg IMG_20210207_185941.jpeg IMG_20210207_190017.jpeg

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Anything is possible,
    It will need to be gone through, at that time they could add correct base, rotation, advance or whatever needed to make it work for you.
    Cap might be worth as much as the magneto as it sits if it's in nice condition.
    I wouldn't pay more than a hundred or so, considering how much work it needs.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Internet man, internet..! You'll find most all there is about them (Vertex) within...the internet.
    Not familiar with that shaft end configuration.
    What "box" did you find it in...a Model A, parts box ? If so, it might just fit, a Model A engine. What's left of the ignition wires suggest so.

Mike

4. It was in a box with other A parts so I assumed it would fit my A engine.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hold a wire end and turn it. :rolleyes:

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X2^^^
    Or Pull the cap off there will be a contactComing from the base about 2 inch long ,hold it with fingers or about a 1/4 inch from metal spin the cam gear with hand see if it arcs or light you up !!,

jaracer and jimmy six like this.
  7. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

^^^^ Scintilla shuffle!!

jimmy six likes this.
  8. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Please don’t hold the coil wire and turn it. That will juice you good. Looks like a model A and B magneto but it is missing it mounting plate/ clamp. The clamps I’ve seen are made of bronze. If it spins free and makes juice, run it.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

10. What are the advantage or disadvantages of this type of ignition?
    This is new stuff for me.
    Think I have to do lot of reading.
    Would love to see it mounted on the front gear cover.....

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The advantage of a mag is the faster it spins, the hotter the spark is, so it is well suited to high RPM applications.
    Another advantage is wiring it up. It is self contained so all that is needed to run the engine is a single wire to a kill switch ground.

The disadvantage(s) of a mag is at slow speeds the spark is weaker. In the past this meant gapping the plugs down to .015" to prevent fouling at idle. Nowadays some upgrades enable gaps around .020" (on gas). Also, a tach cannot be wired directly to the mag - it requires a sender box. Also, in NHRA racing, you must use a relay to the ground (shut off terminal) so the master shutoff switch at the rear of the vehicle will positively kill the engine when activated. Also, a separate RPM limiter is needed.

Here is a picture of a right angle gearbox I built to drive my mag, so it clears the intake manifold above.

adv23t086 (2).jpg

12. Hey there, anyone has Scintilla Magneto Manual, searched all the web couldn't find anywhere.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Vertex is the exact same unit

loudbang and Paul like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  15. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The Frenchtown Flyer said
    "The disadvantage(s) of a mag is at slow speeds the spark is weaker. In the past this meant gapping the plugs down to .015" to prevent fouling at idle. Nowadays some upgrades enable gaps around .020" (on gas). Also, a tach cannot be wired directly to the mag - it requires a sender box"

I remember trying an inductive coupled tach (like a timing light) on a mag and it did not work, but I still don't understand why it should not. Please educate me!

16. Fordors

Fordors

FA140379-7BDA-4C6E-8246-DA64A1B5E838.jpeg

In looking at that tag is that a zero above 400? I see 6 degrees above the 1000, and the number above 450 is illegible to me but I think that may be where the advance curve begins.
    Keep in mind that the magneto turns 1/2 of crankshaft rotation so the advance curve probably starts at 900 RPM and is all in with 12 degrees @ 2000 RPM.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Dizzy 's sister...

loudbang likes this.
  18. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

:D:D:):D:D
    Forgive my poor Aussie English… we were sent out to this colony partially for our misuse of the Queen’s English:p

magneto - maggie - mag
    Distributor - dizzy
    Points - contacts (never breaker)
    Condenser (rarely capacitor)

Cheers,
    Harv (mangler of grammar, not to be trusted with a verb). :D

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-3_5-0-3.png

Hello,

That is one of the funniest things I have read in quite some time. You are a character J6. Knowing 9 volts can give anyone a jumpstart for laughs, this Vertex Magneto holds and delivers a lot more power going to the spark plug wires. My brother was a funny guy. Working with him was a challenge.

But, since he was knowledgeable, it was a fun activity when both of us were working after school and on weekends, from morning until night. Our goal was to get the 1940 Willys Coupe built to compete in the B/Gas and C/Gas classes at Lion’s Dragstrip. The difference was added weight to go race in the C/Gas class.

upload_2021-10-3_5-1-11.png
    When we were getting to the initial start up point for the 671 powered SBC, he wanted to be the guy throwing the switch. When he fired up the motor, the revolutions and the noise was outstanding. It was as if we were in the pits at Lion’s Dragstrip. He revved up the motor a few times and then shut it off. He was smiling from ear to ear. It was his project and I was the valuable helper. So, he wanted to thank me for the great help that I contributed.
    upload_2021-10-3_5-1-47.png
    671 Isky Gilmer Belt/6 Strombergs/ and A Joe Hunt Scintilla Vertex Magneto spilling out the juice on our version of an SBC, for C/Gas coupe class racing.

He told me to take out the spark plugs and to replace them with a set of racing Lodge pink plugs. We had been given a couple of sets of Lodge plugs only to be used when racing. He wanted to get some fine tuning done and wanted me to replace the plugs. When I reached for the first accessible plug, he told me to take it out and check the coloring and ceramic. So, that was easy enough. We went through the whole bank and when we got to the last one, I was in a groove. Easy out, no breakage and great color on the plugs.

Jnaki

Now, the last one took some time to remove and when I had it in hand, he told me to put on the spark wire, look at the end, and check the electricity flow. When I grabbed the wire and connected, he turned on the key and a huge jolt came flying into my hand and arm. Luckily, I had put a canvas tarp below the open area near the plugs.

It was like a 1000 hot potatoes all at once and I actually jerked back with a flourish. He was laughing inside of the cab behind the steering wheel. What a character. That was his reward for me doing a great job on the 671 SBC motor. Now, we were ready. Then I asked what the %$#@!!! And he just laughed and said he wanted to check if the new Packard wires were working… yea, right! That Joe Hunt Scintilla Vertex Magneto packs quite a punch.

A good tune, right plugs, even burn and a powerful 671 SBC chugging the Willys Coupe to a 12.60 e.t. time by the end the day at Lion’s Dragstrip. It was good enough to be in the final C/Gas elimination run after a series of victories in the earlier rounds of eliminations.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Budget36 and kadillackid like this.
  20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Similar way I was introduced to the zap of a Vertex mag. It was hande to me without the cap on, and I was told that whatever I did don't drop it. The other guy spun the gear just as he handed it to me. Shocking!

jnaki and loudbang like this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Also Liquor Store- Bottle Shop.

Truck64 likes this.
  22. jaracer

jaracer

In my day all sprint cars ran magneto's. I was always told a mag didn't put out much voltage at low rpm. I was surprised to find that a small turn of the drive gear would cause a very hot spark to anything metal, a work bench, a file cabinet, etc. Many guys have gotten the shock of their life by dropping a mag in a small block Chevy with the distributor cap off.

23. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Bottle shop, or Bottle-oh.

The faster they turn, the quicker the points open. This "breaks" the magnetic field faster. The faster the magnetic field disappears, the higher the voltage. Having said that, spinning one with your fingers is more than enough to make you do the Scintilla shuffle.

Cheers,
    Harv

24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Being as De Konjel is in Europe, perhaps asking around the Antique Farm Equipment people would come up with some info on the post-WWII 4cyl Ford powered machinery : many of those used a Scintilla/Vertex for reliability(even if the battery "died" the motor would still be "in service") & the motor was a "modernized" Model A.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

loudbang likes this.