Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need pic of 32 roadster with 3” chop windshield

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by free07110, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont do IG , but my son sent me this picture , any one have any useful info on it?? I found @swanwaco32 on here but no info on roadster.
    A5B40BF4-1F49-44CD-A4B2-C1BD0ADDC2FA.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    garage2small and Big Al like this.
  2. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is John Swander’s roadster. I don’t know how chopped it is though- I’m betting 4 or 4.5”… @CTaulbert do you recall?

3. SDS

SDS

REPORT...finally received my UPI grille insert give it a shitttteeee rating - but in a completely different way than the Vintique unit I sent back to Brookville.
    The Vintique unit had crooked bars and the spacing in-between rows of bar varied from one to the next, up and down. The surround looked nice, but didn't fit into my Brookville grille shell (would have taken some shell massaging to get it to fit in (no big deal).
    The UPI unit I just received fit into the shell, but it was an extremely tight fit (even after some hammer massaging). The big problem with the UPI unit is that the surround is VERY janky looking...the curves are not gradual and have abrupt bends (almonst kinks). The peak in the center, underneath the radiator cap trim is almost non-existent in in this insert. Net-net, the gap between the shell and the insert is grossly inconsistent - gap gets small, then large several times as you go around - NOT the gradual, flowing bends you'd expect.

4. ratrod0

ratrod0

5. ratrod0

ratrod0

Yes they are a little, the seat is the original take out every other spring you will be fine

6. SDS

SDS

What chop is yours and is it laid back any?

7. glennpm

glennpm

SDS, at your height, I'd strongly suggest you don't chop 3". If you put a top on, you will have to have just a foam pad for a seat in order to see out the windshield and will have an uncomfortable time working pedals effectively. Any hills or dips, you will not be able to see oncoming traffic. I'm 6-1" with a 2" chop, a and I wouldn't want 3".

8. NJ Don

NJ Don

Here' a 2" chop that's been laid back 2" at the top of the frame by elongating the bottom hole until I got the 2" sweep.
    That's a Bop Top that has the side bows shortened to fit the sweep.
    You can see from my avatar that I'm now using a DuVall style ... gotta try them all! DSCF0044.JPG

blvdbill and hfh like this.
  9. SDS

SDS

Thanks guys, 2" laid back a little it is,

10. SDS

SDS

I like your body/wheel paymt combo...what brand/line paint is that?

11. NJ Don

NJ Don

SDS, here's some photos of the 2 paints. I'm not crazy about the brand of "hot rod black" in the photo, but I had to use it to match the original spray job. I would go with "Restoration Shop's" hot rod black if I had to do the whole car.
    DSCF0564.JPG DSCF0565.JPG DSCF0566.JPG

12. SDS

SDS

Thanks!
    Are you happy with the longevity, UV resistance(has it chalked-up) and oily fingerprint resistance?
    How was it to lay down an even coat? I was planing to use Hot Rod Flatz or Kirker, but some guys mentioned it is very sensitive to having a constant air-pressure and CFM.

13. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

8F1061AF-836E-47BC-978C-F1F797ADA7D1.jpeg 54AFB2A5-2F65-4760-8B04-7DA37616D957.jpeg Brookville and Rodwell in our shop

AULIZ likes this.
  14. SDS

SDS

15. NJ Don

NJ Don

SDS,
    1st, I'm not a pro painter. The car was painted in the matte black when I bought the project.
    The AU23 was sensitive to gun pressure and tip size. When I used their recommendations it was not bad. Get a regulator to fit the gun inlet and you'll have less problems. I also added a filter before the regulator as I was having contaminant problems. At that point the gun becomes pretty long. I only painted the cowl area and grill shell. The paint seems quite durable with no chalking. Oily fingerprints are a problem with the whole car and you have to be careful with what you use to clean it. Bugs and such seem to really stick to the matte finish. People seem to like the color combo but I might consider a gloss finish sometime.

16. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

Correct

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had trimmed 3/4" off and dressed each end of the header while stretching the canvas over the wood, I would be able to stow my top in the boxed-in trunk. It would have made no difference in how the top fit the stanchions and w/s frame.

18. SDS

SDS

Good to know...I plan on getting that top too.

19. SDS

SDS

Okay, based on everyone's advice, I've ordered a 2-inch chop windshield assembly. I'm planning on sliding the bottom holes in the body so that I can lay the windshield back a little bit. How much slotting are we talking here? Elongate the hole The same width as the whole? Half a hole? The metal which reinforces underneath the hole is pretty thick.

Thanks

20. NJ Don

NJ Don

SDS,
    It doesn't take much. See picture. My bottom stancions were stainless steel and I had to grind some material off the contact area to make them fit nice and flush. I used a 4" grinding wheel and kept taking off material until I got a nice flush fit. I might have taken off about 1/16" at the most in the center area. Go slow until you have a nice fit and you have your 2" sweep. I measured the sweep by measuring from the top tang behind the door opening to the top of the upper stancion. I also made new gaskets for the lower stancion from inner tube, worked fine and helped keep it form moving.
    DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0611.JPG

-Brent- likes this.
  21. NJ Don

NJ Don

Also,
    If you do get a Bop Top (great piece!) you might find the header doesn't fit in the trunk. My trunk area is finished and there was no way to get the header in there. I have a Glide seat that tilts forward and I cut the side panels so the header will fit behind the seat. When the seat is in its normal position you don't see anything. The rest of the dismantled framework does fit into the trunk.
    DSCF0197.JPG

DSCF0199.JPG

DSCF0194.JPG

22. SDS

SDS

Thanks for everything and your last two posts - that was very pertinent information and great photos! I'm now pretty straight on what to do and what to expect when I get the windshield frame parts.

23. NJ Don

NJ Don

SDS,
    If you lay the windshield back 2" and buy a BopTop you will have to modify the header attachment brackets to fit the new angle of the windshield. If you like I can send you mine as a sample, or to buy, as I'm now using a DuVall windshield frame. Come to think of it I might as well sell the lower stanchions too, just a thought.

24. AULIZ

AULIZ

My 2 x ex. Deuce. Both 2" chopped windshield frames.
    Latest, brown, rod 3" chopped.
    A

acs-1.jpg stoker-833.jpg

alfin32 and SDS like this.
  25. SDS

SDS

Just "laid back my windshield" by 2 (quotations around that because it is NOT that simple).
    I've created a new thread entitled "Lay back your roadster windshield, NOT that simple...". If you're interested in seeing the pitfalls.

26. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

I'm interested in the pit falls. I could not find your thread
    [email protected]
    thanks Bill

27. SDS

SDS

28. trooper3

trooper3

Here is a 2 1/2 in 100_1338.JPG

29. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

How do you guys chopp the glass itself?
    Using regular or tempered glass?
    Can somebody measure glass only without frame?

30. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

A little over 3”, posts laid back, and the front header extended 1 3/4”, and lowered over the frame 3/4”. 82E89DD4-FB04-4931-A274-A1F8FDC5F3E9.jpeg F8BFC823-F215-4196-926F-B1E76689075E.jpeg

V8-m and A Boner like this.