Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 sport build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by "Casey K", Sep 13, 2021.

1. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Hello all.
    Finally traded up to a model A.
    Bought it here on the classifieds a week ago!
    What I have read online about the car is that it was hot rodded in the 50s in the northwest. It has a 39 mercury flathead and transmission. Banjo rear. I’m not 100% for sure in that yet.
    upload_2021-9-13_16-57-3.png Came from Cali.
    upload_2021-9-13_16-57-43.jpeg Arrived home in utah.
    upload_2021-9-13_16-59-21.jpeg Fist things first remove fenders and put the skirt on. Plan out the chop. 5” I think.
    upload_2021-9-13_17-0-42.jpeg Chopped the doors and
    upload_2021-9-13_17-1-38.jpeg Did a little photo shop.
    upload_2021-9-13_17-2-22.jpeg All welded up.

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You used a weed whacker to chop your top! Man you are good! LOL!:D

Outback, Stan Back, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  3. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Noticed on the first drive that my turning radius was massive. I knew something was wrong with the box or some type of interference. I looked a little closer and noticed the steering linkage was smacking the radius arms. I asked my father-in-law if I could heat the arms to give me clearance and he said it’s a really bad idea to heat steering parts.
    Looks like it’s from when they raking the axle back 7 degrees.
    Any ideas on how to get this back on the road?
    upload_2021-9-13_17-19-25.jpeg Definitely too close!
    upload_2021-9-13_17-19-58.jpeg Another angle.
    upload_2021-9-13_17-20-57.png This is want I was talking about bending..

chryslerfan55, Vic Walter and Stogy like this.
  4. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Hell yeah!! Tooo easy!

Stogy and GordonC like this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've heated and bent several steering arms with no problems, just let them cool naturally and they're fine.

Stogy likes this.
  6. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Thanks Model A Gomez. I will have to give it a try then.
    I need to run a radiator fan.. I have a 59AB engine.. seems fairly simple. Replace a pulley with a pulley fan? And direction would help!
    upload_2021-9-14_17-39-6.jpeg Here’s the engine.
    upload_2021-9-14_17-39-40.jpeg Looks like I have the room..?
    upload_2021-9-14_17-40-10.jpeg Also got my glass cut today!

Hope to be on the road soon! Couple hiccups but nothing major so far! Loving the build.

upload_2021-9-14_17-42-2.jpeg Also picked up some spokes. I need to decide if I want to run them or not!!

Also need to decide if I’m going to paint this car or leave it!???

7. Just heat the arm till it moves ( use a bit of leverage). Let cool naturally.

Stogy likes this.
  8. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

So back on the radiator fan.
    I have been looking around and I have read that if I get a 34 generator with the fan assembly that should fit the 59AB.

let me know what you guys have done or what you think about this.
    Thanks!
    upload_2021-9-16_8-52-46.jpeg I got the windshield in!

Hope to bend the steering arms this weekend.
    mill be starting on the belly cleaning and degreasing prepping for Eastwood rust encapsulater.
    I have gutted the interior, sanded and stained all the wood. I will be putting the Eastwood product inside as well. Looking for seat covers at the moment. The rear seat is new so I’d like to match the front seat to it. Any pointers on that would be appreciated.
    upload_2021-9-16_8-57-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-16_8-58-10.png
    I have sent out emails about getting the top finished. I’m thinking black or a grey. What are you guys thinking? I’ll probably keep the paint as is.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yay a Sporty that's staying a Sporty...yay!!
    Love what your doing @"Casey K"...;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Bondo Slinger and "Casey K" like this.
  10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Nice start. Listen to the folks that have done the stuff.

Get it sorted out before you start with top, tires and wheels.

jim

Stogy and "Casey K" like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Why don't you buff the paint and bring it out of it's hibernation and paint to match the areas that need it...The spoked rims were more a prewar deal but were still being sported in the postwar years into the very early 50s but solids were by then favored for strength...depending on your brake drum situation you may have to run adapters to seat the wires correctly...it's not a huge expense and actually quite common to do so...

I'm sure you've seen this but it's a perfect example of a prewar Coupe and a Sporty at that...yours reminds me of it even though it's a 30. @nutrocker's coupe is another admirable inspiration but I think its chopped a bit more...but I'm looking forward to your giving this the Hotrod touch it needs...

SCoupe.jpeg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

chryslerfan55, 48fordnut and hfh like this.
  12. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

so very true! Thanks for the pointers on the wheels! I still haven’t decided on taking it back in time further! Definitely enjoy the history of these cars and the evolution! For paint I’m thinking to just throw a clear coat over what’s there now. I have a large list so I’ll be tackling the sweat equity’s first and also have to listen to the car to tell me what it wants!
    Thanks! Yes I love both of those cars and there are definitely a huge inspiration! I wish there was more info on the old race car, chopped!?! Back in the day! Love it!

chryslerfan55, 48fordnut and Stogy like this.
  13. 97

I think the cut and welded wishbone is worse than the cure by bending Even with the fishplates over the weld. I would replace the wishbones and the stub axles with 37-40 parts and drop the Model A axle . The steering arms will probably need bending slightly but it will be better than those welded bones on there now.
    You could just replace the axle with one from a 32-36 Ford which will give a slight drop but still replace those bones with some that have not been cut or bent in the middle!
    check out @ Binger 's special coupe
    [​IMG]
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/first-build-thread-29-ford-special-coupe.971505/

chryslerfan55, Jet96, Oilguy and 2 others like this.
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

should find a '33-'36 axle pretty cheap, all use the same spring, shackles, perches etc. ...
    memory says '35-'36 have a little more drop to them...

"Casey K" and 48fordnut like this.
  15. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I think the pulley off a 32 to 38 generator will fit your generator, I had to have mine bored to fit the 1960 Ford generator I'm using. There are a couple on ebay and C W Moss sells new ones, there are also pulleys for alternators out there. There are several lengths of fans so need to set the engine and radiator to figure out which one will fit. I'm using a short fan, can't tell you the year (think 37-38) but have about 1 1/2" to the radiator.

IMG_0495.jpg

16. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Sir Gomez.
    Are you saying just pop off the existing Lilly and replace it with something that accepts a fan.
    upload_2021-9-19_20-12-18.png
    something like this?

48fordnut likes this.
  17. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if you make a detailed list for each little project, you can cross something off that list every day...
    a motivator just crossing something off....
    eventually you will run out of things to do... go casey go !

Outback, Stogy and A 2 B like this.
  19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The pulley pictured is for an alternator. C W Moss Ford Parts has the pulley for the 6 volt generator pictured on your engine. It is a direct interchange then you need to find the fan, several on ebay and check swap meets. If you decide to go 12 volts you can use a GM alternator with the pulley pictured. Speedway has the alternator bracket, mocked mine up that way but had a 12 volt generator off my 60 T-Bird and it's more traditional. C motor 012.JPG

20. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Sweet I’ll dig into that Gomez! That helps a ton! Getting closer!

Stogy likes this.
  21. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Still looking into the generator/pulley.
    My stock pulley shaft looks threaded but I’ll have to pull the generator and check it out when I get time. I’ll either replace the pulley or the full generator. Full generator will be way more expensive so hopefully I’ll get the pulley figured out.
    I have been getting a lot done on my list. I’m really excited to get the original lights back.
    upload_2021-9-28_21-19-33.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-28_21-19-50.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-28_21-20-53.jpeg

upload_2021-9-28_21-21-40.jpeg

brEad and Stogy like this.
  22. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is...I know what's on the page after these...Turn Key, warm it up put into gear...and drive whilst letting out a few Yeehoos...you've gotta be excited...I know I am...;)

24. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

you know it! It’s dangerous at the moment but that’s part of the journey!! Enjoy finding it, building it and driving it! All of it is addictive!! Give me more!
    thanks brother

Stogy likes this.
  25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Awesome find man. Look forward to seeing it done and some action shots...

Stogy likes this.
  26. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

The car came with a aluminum radiator and I got an extra radiator that may be for a 59AB. Dose this look like an original flathead radiator that I can use. I want to keep it fairly correct to the 50s. let me know what you think.
    chugging along with the list as well.
    upload_2021-9-29_20-58-37.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-29_20-59-30.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-29_20-59-56.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-29_21-0-13.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  27. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

I really do like that red Sport coupe. It seems like they've been overlooked. Do you have a plan for the top? I once built a roadster top out of conduit and light sheet metal and then glued fabric over it and it came out pretty nice. Good luck with that project it's very fun!

28. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

Thank you sir!
    I’m digging the red coupe too! I’ll keep the paint for sure, least for now!! as for the top.. I’ll be attempting to sew one up this winter on my down time. I’m a little nervous about it, but I’m doing my research so I hope to do it myself. I got a quote for $2700-3500.. not bad but out of my price range. material should be about 1/8 that so I’ll give it a whip whirl.
    thanks for checking it out!

Stogy and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I got the top for one of my other cars by going to my local fabric supplier for auto upholstery here in town, they has some left over Audi conv. top material that had some blemishes, picked 3 yards up for 50 bucks...
    Tip is to take a few small pieces and practice sewing those, get the machine and yourself dialed in before starting it. for the long pieces, don't forget to pin it together...

Look forward to seeing it done...

Dig the red myself...

30. "Casey K"

"Casey K"

wow that’s a great idea! That makes me excited for the project. I know it’s going to be a big one but the project itself is the fun part right! Thanks for all your input fellas! Life’s long life’s good!

Stogy and stubbsrodandcustom like this.