Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Good LORD look what these Buick taillights sold for!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I hope at that price he waves the 26 dollar shipping price!

-Brent- likes this.
  2. Sporty45

Sporty45

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

egads likes this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those guys used something like esnipe to put in a bid that they thought would easily win. One did....and his bid was put in last. Sold!!

ffr1222k likes this.
  5. Look at the bids who would up the bid from $152 to $1300? Two guys didn't bid it up to that it jumped $1150 in one bid. If you look at the automatic bids the guy that did that had the high bid of $154 before he bid himself up to $1300. Not likely.

Sporty45 and 210superair like this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I watched guys bid up a 57 F100 grille bar to about $600. The next one on ebay only had two bidders. What happened to all the guys who wanted the first one?
    The second was in better condition and went for only $510

7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have Looked for the Small Pecker for a roadster , Surprised no reproduction,

I have had The max bid in pass jumped to max bid , @ that time I checked the bid history, I can not remember the amount of last bid , But it jump skipped over the last , Thinking it would of been a few dollars of last bid of bidder , No went to my max , Called Evil Bay ,asked questions, @ end had to pay the Max.

8. I wasn't going to post here, but now you guys have me worried about a faulty 'max bid' system.
    Haven't bought that way for a long time, but who knows, I may need to one day and this is a concern.

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

On my 31 coupe… got them about 4 years ago, paid about $150 for the repo chrome bezel, lens, and original buckets. Jeez :eek::rolleyes:

10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Looks to me two guys who bid a number they thought no one else would top.

That often works, but not this time.

12. Sporty45

Sporty45

Like K13 said, the losing bidder jumped at the end from $152 to $1385 in one step. Who does that? Not saying it was the seller at fault, it just looks fishy to me to see a jump like that, makes no sense.

-Brent- likes this.
  13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Those lights are probably going on the $48,000 34 3w from the recent ND auction.

14. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wow, looks like I should think about selling some of the extra stuff I have at these prices.

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

The guy that lost with the 1385 bid has been bidding on quite a few taillights lately.

Just wonder if it was a mistake? His bid 4 seconds earlier was only $120.00, rushing to get a new bid in at the end and meant to go $138.50 but rushing and put the decimal in the wrong spot? Maybe the high bidder did the same seeing he bid at the auction end too.

If the highest bidder was a legit bid, wonder how high of a bid he actually put in?

Anyways that is why I still like running auctions instead of buy it now on older items. Just takes the right 2 bidders to hit a homerun for more than what you might consider listing it at.

We will have to wait and see if they get relisted

16. Squablow

Squablow

If you understand how eBay's bidding system works, the big jump in price makes a lot more sense. You can put in a very high bid but still win for a much lower amount, eBay will bid on your behalf. So if the second high bidder put in $1385 (possibly by mistake) that bid may have been put in days before, and the second someone put in a higher bid, it jumped up to that high bid plus the next bid increment, which is $1410 (going in $25 increments above a certain point, probably over $1000). eBay shows the bid happening one second before the high bid, but that doesn't mean that's when it was entered, that just means that's when eBay put in that price on their behalf.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would just look for alternate tail lights that would look good on the car. Lots more to choose from.

X-cpe likes this.
  18. Squablow has it exactly right. Moving-animated-finger-pointing-up.gif
    It's a bidding technique that usually works to acquire an item at the high end of the "normal" range.
    The winning bidder's mindset is, "I'll win but I'm crossing my fingers that one or two bidders will only bump the price by $10 or $20 more". In this case, there was a 'perfect storm' of two dudes pulling the same trick. (By looking at the time stamp of the bids, both players high bid within a second of each other so neither saw the other guy's cards.)
    The fact that we don't see the high bidder one-upping any bids previously makes me think he (both) swooped in at the last minute rather than rely on automatic bidding.
    I've done the crazy high bid (like no more than 2 digits) a few times for some lowish-cost items. If I'm outbid by a crazier high bid, I just feel relief and not regret because I was hoping to win without being pushed that high.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The affordable Pines Winter Front alternative.

Bob

20. I've had this happen. High bidder backs out, second bidder doesn't want it. Relist and get a message from some guy that will pay way less if I make it a buy it now. Don't know if that's the case here.

vintage56 and -Brent- like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This is why some restorations cost over 100 grand. Or a fender bender happened. Go find some taillights. We need them now. The shows coming up soon !

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm!! Lemme see. Not saying that an auction site would stoop to doing something as low as telling their computer to watch any particular auction and set their limit $5.00 lower than the other guy's max limit but then, ya never know?????

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe I'm mistaken, but by my count, bidder 992 did 8 one-ups. #'s 6 and 7 were considerably more than his original $1 and $2 jumps. It also appears that some other bidders got in before him with identical bids which would account for the series of bids where he doesn't appear.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Nothing fishy going on, if you look at the dates and times the bids were put in you can see exactly what each bid was and when it was put in. Those $2 increments are one bidder having a higher max bid than the current bid price, and another bidder pushing that price up in $1 bid increments.

If someone is really confused here, I can lay out each bidder's max bid and explain why each one shows up when it does.

And I'd bet any money that the last two bids were meant to be either $135 and $141 or $185 and $141, either bid would lay out perfectly in line with previous amounts at the last minute.

This is a perfectly normal auction with no shills or shady computer stuff going on, with a couple of fat fingered bids right at the last minute.

Fordors and -Brent- like this.
  25. Fordors

Fordors

eBay had a profit of $10 billion last year, they do not need to resort to that type of thing. I believe it happened just as @Squablow said, simply last minute fat fingers.

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

That seller has sold some nice stuff for some nice money. I cannot believe the prices for some of those spotlights he has sold. He sold 1 for over $4200 (yes, it was paid for).

Oh, I see a different seller also has similar tail lights up for $950 right now and that seller has other pricey tail lights besides those, some are around $1400-$1800. Guess it is time to start selling those type of items again.

27. RmK57

RmK57

Does ebay still show all the bidding? Bidder 493 could have had his proxy bid set at $1400 but ebay isn't showing every single bid from $152 to $1400.

46international likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

They are showing all the bids, there was only 2 bids after the $152 high bid, when it jumped up almost perfectly by 1 decimal place. Hence my theory that this was incorrect bid amounts added. If the bids had gone up by a hundred or so, multiple times, I would believe it was intentional bidding.

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Screenshot_20210929-080641_eBay.jpg

Here's what the guys are talking about.

Sporty45 likes this.
  30. lostmind

lostmind

Somewhere in a tote box I have 5 or more lenes, I better post them up.
    Didn't have a lot of interest the last time.