Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Traffic Light Viewer Fail

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shift Wizard, Sep 28, 2021.

1. At 78 years old I'm old enough to remember actually needing and using these prismatic wonders. In '54 when my dad purchased our new Pontiac family car, complete with a windshield visor, it was equipped with one of 'em. The viewer impacted me strong enough that I can still vividly recall all the details today. So fast forward 67 years and I send off for a fresh repop for my '50 Chevy truck that needs one due to having a big, bad windshield visor.
    What I received was so disappointing I sent it back for a refund. We have a couple of threads regarding 'Traffic Light Viewers' but from the comments so far it seems like many lack the experience to know how well the 'Viewers' should work. The problem is, these are clear, cast, plastic, and the repops aren't made with any attention to shrink causing them to have an inch wide dimple smack dab in the middle of the lens. So they are nothing like those originals. If you're old enough to remember what a Fench Curve is....... that's how the surface of the lens is supposed to flow from bottom to top; not the bent dogleg of these repops that render totally useless what should be the 'sweet spot' in the middle of the lens.
    Attached is an example of the distortion. We should be able to see actual definition, not an undefined smear. (I took some other photos, some of red lights, but this shot illustrates the problem best. Much of the image is sucked into a "wormhole" because of the misshaped lens.)
    Buyer beware. Save your money and get a 'survivor' original. Rant over. :confused:

DSCN2328.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    ratrodrodder, Lepus, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Costume jewelry is all it come down to for most so function doesn’t matter. That said, weren’t traffic lights hung mostly in the middle of the intersection back then as opposed to far right corner as done to day.

1927graham, Hnstray, Tman and 4 others like this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. dln1949

dln1949

In my chopped 29 tudor, I just wait for the guy behind me to politely signal me it's time to go.

Driver50x, Roothawg, blowby and 9 others like this.

5. I've never heard of these.
    What is the purpose of them.

Stogy likes this.
  6. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

My daughter got me one for a gift to use in my 31. Do you have a pic of what a good one looks like? My car is still in the project phase.

Stogy likes this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife's 55 has had one in it for the last 44 years--works well

8. squirrel

squirrel

It lets you see the stop light, the view of which is blocked by the roof of the car, or the sun visor. It's basically a prism on the dash, so you can see up.

fultonviewer1.JPG

9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I had the same problem with one of those new ones I bought. I fixed it by using the "new" mount that magnetically mounts to the dash and found an old lens that I attached to the mount. Works much better.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having a chopped A with the trademark visor many times I scrunch forward to get a look or look through the upper forward corner of the driver door window opening toward the light if it's over there...

I often thought one of these would be period correct and usable but it's more stuff...:oops:

11. 5window

5window

Got mine from Mac's years ago. reworked to to hang down from overhead. It's a good idea for a visored car.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please share what you did...

brady1929 likes this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

14. 5window

5window

Stogy likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that your inside roof reflection in the windshield or both hoodsides are up?...

brady1929 likes this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

Hood sides are Up.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

19. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I used a "see the light" one. sticks to the glass and has worked for 20 years.

Stogy and -Brent- like this.
  20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

YUP, I believe I have one of the same ones. Sits on my toolbox now, waste of time.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Form follows function, or at least it's supposed to.
    I wish the people that repop stuff nowadays would read the description of the part they're copying and follow it. Might help.

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

prd_lp_4.jpeg

I'd love if they worked like this because I will need the help in my coupe.

Stogy likes this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am intrigued to see the upside down pic as well. I have a 14” Fulton going on my ‘48 “Effie” so my eyes are going to need all the help they can get. I sold an old Guide one way back. Should of kept it.

-Brent- and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might need the periscope model...:)...that's a lot of overhang...maybe there was a disclaimer for the Fulton crowd...but they were certainly together in period that's for sure...

Jimmy six was right about traffic light location though...depending on location your results may vary...

I was in Buffalo a few times and many intersections I couldn't see the lights even driving the daily without hunching down and poking my nose forward...

brady1929 likes this.
  25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

137D82A3-02E5-4009-A059-9A001C3AB82F.jpeg

Bought this one years ago at Cantor Brothers.

Stogy, akoutlaw and -Brent- like this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have the cheap United Pacific suction cup mount viewer in my old Austin gasser, since I sit almost in the backseat when driving it, and it works great! No distortion, and easy to see the traffic light. Only issue I have is every once in awhile it falls off, and I have to stop and stick it back on the glass. Contemplated gluing it on, but afraid to make it so permanent.

Stogy and egads like this.
  27. catdad49

catdad49

If you think one of these is going to give a perfect picture of the signal light, that isn’t going to happen. You should be able to see a green or red light, that’s what mine does.

Stogy and egads like this.
  28. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have one that looks like the OP's pic. It has double vision. When I get the light in view the are 2 images. One on top, one on bottom. It is definitely glass. Some exuberant driving knocked the magnet loose and it chipped the edge of the glass. I put one of those strong rare earth magnets on it. It stays now. The one thing I really don't like about it is when you are driving into the sun and it hits that lens it likes to blind you.

Stogy likes this.
  29. 5window

5window

Here are a couple of not-very-good photos ut I think you can get the idea. I have an overhead console for the sound system so it's mounted on that. light 1.jpg light 2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  30. The junky one with the funky misshapen lens, that I returned for a refund, was branded 'United Pacific'.
    I've been trolling the 'net and I've seen some okay reviews for another brand. It's branded
    KNS Accessories KC3032 Deluxe Traffic Light Viewer
    I don't know if it's a guarantee of anything but it claims, "GM Licensed". One of the 'reviewers' posted a photo (below) that gives me a degree of confidence in better quality. I pulled the trigger and paid my moneys last night. Maybe it's the real deal and I won't have to send it back. I'll update after it's delivered.

DELUXE TRAFFIC VIEWER.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    milwscruffy, Deuces, catdad49 and 2 others like this.