Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Concrete blocks for getting more lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rladams65, Sep 26, 2021.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

I guess working under a car/truck with just a bumper jack is still a no-no!

(I have spent many hours under there back in the 60's when I was full-of-come-and-bullet-proof!)...I did chock the wheels most of the time!

Cinder blocks still a bad idea!
    6sally6

2. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I have a pair of 12X16" end cut wood header beams, cut them from a house tear down. Stay safe.

olscrounger and Rickybop like this.
  3. ken bogren

ken bogren

I'm leary of any riser that is taller than the base is wide/long.

b-body-bob and Squablow like this.
  4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I stack two wheels on each side of the car with a good 4x4 running across under, Thats in addition to my regular jack stands

Rolleiflex, VANDENPLAS and Rickybop like this.
  5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I was in construction most of my life and never an actual cinder block other than very old buildings...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. Jackstands yes. Blocks never.
    FB_IMG_1627215360103.jpg

7. GTS225

GTS225

You know what would be great? If somebody (ahem!) happened to have full-size patterns available to offer up.

Just sayin'.....Roger

VANDENPLAS, Blue One and Just Gary like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

IMG_1716.JPG

Good to go? Not so good?

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Always use something safe, like me! B836DF36-5284-41CA-BDEB-AB66D9CFC855.jpeg

Bones

10. Budget36

Budget36

@Boneyard51

You’ll be fine Bones, just put a little gravel around the center support on the left that fell over;)

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wow! Ok! I hadn’t noticed that! Thanks, I don’t want to get myself killed!:)

Bones

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Oh great! Now my house is gonna fall! Damned ol concrete blocks! Hey @Boneyard51 , you got any drawings of how ya built that? I'm thinking i ain't gonna have to bend over to paint rocker panels anymore! :D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

If you were to put the blocks in a mortar bed, then put a mortar bed on top of them, and set the stands in the mortar bed, then the blocks would probably work fine.

It's all about concentrated loads. Blocks can't withstand them. Houses don't make them. So blocks work fine to hold up houses, but not cars.

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

IMG_1716.JPG
    No problem! - If it fails you just roll off to safety.

16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That picture reminds me of when I was in Mexico about 5 years ago and walked passed a vacant lot with old carnival rides and old trucks with the wheels off and pulleys hooked to rear end to power the rides.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Uh.... i was joking squirrel ;) i was truly surprised that this conversation is still rolling on!

Boneyard51, 57 Fargo and squirrel like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I figured you were, but it was also time to offer some explanation, in case someone didn't get your joke

19. Country Joe

Country Joe

20. Since we're on the subject, in the fire service we use plastic cribbing, made from recycled plastic. Good shit, and it has a diamond pattern molded into it so the blocks interlock with each other. But for years we used wooden blocks. Even for our step cribbing. But, with both materials, a hole drilled in one end with a rope handle makes them easier to handle, and retrieve from under a car.

21. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Lloyd I was going to write about composite cribbing but you got to it so thanks.

22. Hi Not to jack this talk but I lost a very good friend when he used concrete blocks to temporary hold a Jeep up. Worked with him for years and a real great guy and friend. He retired moved to Florida and was killed using concrete blocks 6 months later. He knew better to do something like this but as others have said something caused them to crumble! We all do dumb things from time to time but you might not recover from this situation. Thanks

Boneyard51 likes this.
  23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Nope, a single concrete bock can support about 1500 pounds per square inch......you need to use two heavy wall two core blocks on a solid level surface like concrete or black top. Cores are in a vertical position, no space between the blocks A single board, thick plywood is ok ,board placed on top of blocks covering both blocks. If more height is needed the blocks need to stacked like wood cribbing but no more than two blocks high ...I have seem temporary supports in construction like this supporting the weight of many cars. I am not suggesting to do this but to say blocks cant support the weight is false...

Boneyard51 and firstinsteele like this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Some people juggle with knives too, but I`m not gonna do it. I own 5 sets of jack stands and not a single concrete block.

Boneyard51, gimpyshotrods and Truck64 like this.
  25. chopped

chopped

I wonder why mobile homes all over the south don't come crashing down every day.

26. clem

clem

Maybe CMU are different in the States, but over here :

Concrete CMU in housing and other construction only have the strength from the reinforcement steel and solid poured concrete inside them.
    The block essentially acts as boxing for the poured concrete inside.

OP asked about concrete blocks, not CMU or cinder blocks.
    (although I suspect that is what he was probably referring too).

solid concrete blocks with engineered reinforcing steel and engineered MPA rating will be fine. - if you can lift them into place ………

let’s see if we can get to 4 pages…….

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Cement and concrete are not the same thing. Cement is made with concrete.
    Concrete is strong, and if rebar, wire, etc is used, it binds stronger.
    Cement is a heavy duty Plaster of Paris.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

@clem posted while I was waiting for my service to come back on my phone!

Good explanation

clem and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was my understanding from engineering school in the US.

Anecdotally, I have had concrete blocks break into pieces while trying to put them on the cart at the home center, by hand, gently.

clem, Boneyard51, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Bottom line is I don’t give a poop if we’re talking cinder blocks or super duper concrete blocks and neither should anyone else here.

It’s a stupid distinction to bring up in the discussion as is the suggestion that “real” concrete blocks should be okay.

Truth is that under no circumstances should concrete blocks of any kind be used to support a vehicle that you will be working under.