Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. I will have to ask about it. She just called it a sting ray with no mention of the engine. She knew the engine in the pontiac because the 421 emblems were removed. She was looking for them thats what led to finding the 396 one. Im on emergency call for the hospital for the next week. Im going to try and go back this weekend with my pontiac friend. He wants to help me get the door open to get the vin.

OahuEli, kidcampbell71, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  2. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

No, the emblem found is passenger car. The '65 396 Corvette emblem differs.

Passenger car emblem.
    [​IMG]

'65 Corvette emblem.
    [​IMG]

Stogy, Elcohaulic, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  3. Now that is strange. Clearly they didn't give a rat sass about the Pontiac so why would they bother to remove and keep the 421 emblems? Interesting though, since the 396 emblems don't belong to the Vette, there just may be something else desirable lurking in the bush, shed, garage, basement, hay loft, dining room, torture chamber, dungeon etc :)

Any fear of deer ticks/lyme disease in your neck of the woods?
    Edit: YIKES, a quick Google search found this map.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  4. Quote: "I haven't mentioned it yet but the Vette came with a 34 Plymouth five window coupe. It was bought by the guys girlfriends grandmother brand new. I just have to go get it".

So, if I understand this correctly, the 34 Plymouth Coupe is at this farm with the Pontiac, have they/you been able to locate the coupe yet?

WC145 and Stogy like this.
  5. Theres no limit to the amount of strange things going on at this place. Going from one vette (57) to finding another (the silver anniversary) to now hearing of a 66. The whole thing about the hand in a jar. It doesnt surprise me that the emblems from the cars were removed and put in a plastic container. It had emblems from all kinds of cars. Mostly pontiacs along with some farm stuff. This was found outside.
    The place is so over grown it most likely kept it from being stumbled on earlier. Besides the cars there's all kinds of antiques laying around.
    The supposed 34 turned out to be the 39. Its so rusty i wouldnt drag it out of there for lawn art for my place. If someone collects old farm machines pm me. I want one piece for my place. The rest needs to go.

WC145, Stogy, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Umm...... My bad!....:oops::(:oops:

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Now back to the 57. New shocks are on. Several parts seat covers; shackles; tail pipes; gas tank straps are on back order. This has put a halt to the 57s progress. Im running out of things that have to be done. Now im moving on to the 66 chevelle project. Follow that progress on the look what followed me home thread.

OahuEli, Stogy, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  8. I just got back from the farm. I brought a pontiac expert with me. The keys in the trunk didnt help. The door key was broken off. He has a flashlight and saw the three pedals. Looks like column shift. Suzzie showed us more stuff including the silo machine that took her arm. She said a taxidermist lived down the road. She took it there in a dunkin donut box. Thats how it got preserved. You cant make this stuff up.
    The 66 vette was sold without a title. They recently found the title while cleaning up and sent it to the guy. I asked about the color. Its just like the 57. White with a red interior. 20210917_152009.jpg 20210917_154005.jpg 20210917_153732.jpg 20210917_153745.jpg 20210917_155858.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Tickety Boo, OahuEli, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  9. 20210917_154152.jpg 20210917_154231.jpg This is the silo thing that took her arm. The guard was removed for repairs and not put back on.
    Come on some of you thought this was b.s.
    I cant say i have ever been on such a strange car hunt in my life. It turned up three vettes in two barns and a few pontiacs. Still havent found the arm. Im still looking.

Baumi, Stogy, Elcohaulic and 5 others like this.
  10. Column shift means it's not a four-gear I assume. Were you not able to pop the hood?

11. The second story of this building has collapsed onto the front of the car. It will need to be dragged out. Its a very unsafe situation. My pontiac guy said the same thing. Most likely a three speed. He couldnt believe all of the stuff there.

OahuEli, Stogy, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  12. What was supposed to be a 34 turned out to be a 39 and its junk.

13. Back to the 57. The seat covers finally showed up along with the tale pipes and radiator. I might just be able to get a few rides in before the weather turns bad.

Stogy, catdad49, milwscruffy and 4 others like this.
  14. Man I wish I were closer- lots of early Farmall parts (I have '37 F12)!!!

WalkerMD, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Parts are finally are finally starting to arrive. The radiator and fan are in. The exhaust showed up. The new shackles and gas tank straps show up tomorrow. I should get the seats back later in the day tomorrow as well. Once all these parts are on its time for a ride. Im sure the brakes will need a final adjustment so it stops without pulling. The leaves around here are starting to turn colors. I might get a few nice fall color rides in. That will be all for a while on the vette until spring. I will hit my goal of making it road worthy again this year. Next year will bring new challenges to make it look better without destroying its worn in look. Mostly minor things. The right hubcaps and new antennas along with the side trim are part of the plan. The view out of the windshield is the same without that stuff. So im hitting the road without it. 20210923_202324.jpg

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great progress!

Stogy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. Thanks. I got the hood support freed up and mounted. I didnt even know it was there. It just blended in with all the other dirty parts.

kidcampbell71, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

If you have the hood up and it’s windy, make sure the latch caught otherwise it may slam shut and scare the beejeeums out of you! Happy Motoring, Carp.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Stogy, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. noboD

noboD

I just wanted to thank Jones ST. publicly for the tip on the Maguire's. The stuff really works good, is bringing my 100 year old paint back. It's slow but is doing exactly as he said. No smears or streaks.

Thor1, Stogy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

Hope you get the right gas line filter and ts for it to clean up the passenger inner fender, Corvette central or another vendor will have the set. 56-61 are same. Looking good.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Ts what do you mean? Im not following you.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

2ED67950-0E4C-4721-AD6E-A9F892C831BE.jpeg

He must be referring to the factory filter and fuel lines. That T fitting may be unobtanium at the local NAPA store.

23. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I think he meant correct fuel filter and T-fittings
    So you could get rid of the fuel block and rubber lines running to the carbs on the passenger inner fender well.

loudbang, racer-x and Stogy like this.
  24. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Fordors and I were typing at the same time and he was faster.

25. Its a old eelco from its racing days. I get it that its not correct. Im not sure what im going to do with it.

loudbang, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  26. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

That Eelco fuel block appears to have ports to feed more than 2 fuel lines. Does it?

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ouch! :D When I built the Ford 429 in my avatar I had to use big block Chevy studs for the roller rockers. (this was in 1996) Never told my Chevy buddies 'cause I would never have heard the end of it.:rolleyes::D Love this story, subscribed!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Thor1, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. If i want to restore it to stock it will reauire alot of detailing. The driving season in wisconsin will be ending soon. I want to drive it and enjoy it after all of the work i put into it. Im sure during this time i will find some more things to do. I will come up with a plan on things i want to work on next spring. During the winter i have the nitro coupe to get ready for next season. I also have my frame off 66 chevelle project in full swing. When i put the floor in my shop i put the heating tubes in. I have not hooked it up because im cheap. I wanted to spend the money on car parts. Not a heating bill. With all thats going on i made up my mind that im turning on the heat. I will be able to get more done not being bundled up like a eskimo.

WC145, Thor1, Woogeroo and 10 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My last few shops have been heated...it really helps in the rust belt regions immensely...and properly installed systems are fireproof as well for piece of mind...in floor is the best I believe...you will have to dance to a different bundle this year...maybe a T-Shirt and Jean's...;)

30. AmishMike

AmishMike

Laugh of the day: your cheap on heating the garage. Those 3 project cars are all done on the cheap? Guess u putting money on the important stuff. When my son was about 16 he made a classic statement we still tease him about: “ girls just suck money away from my cars”. Following & love all 3

Thor1, swifty, Stogy and 3 others like this.