Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking at a car in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink56, Sep 23, 2021.

1. ratfink56

ratfink56

Car here on the HAMB I'm looking at. Seller says he has a title but it will not go with the car as I live in another state. To be sold with bill of sale only. Is this how it's done? Or should I run? I am confused.

2. Budget36

Budget36

Seems odd. Why would the seller want to keep the title? Maybe seller wants to title another vehicle with it, which would/could cause issues with the vehicle when you try to title it.
    Did you ask him why he wanted to keep the title?

3. RUN, FOREST! RUN!!!
    A title IS required to avoid future claims and problems with title/registration in your state, or the state of someone you may sell to in the future. I don't understand why the seller would not provide it, and I would be skeptical of ANY deal they offered! A title protects you. Keep looking.

4. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Title proves ownership. You don't have the title, it's not yours.

Joe

5. ratfink56

ratfink56

We are still emailing back and forth. I assume when one of you Cali guys sells a car that's going out of state you supply a title if you have one.

6. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Agreed. Run away or at least get a better reason. And how would you register it in your state without a title? If it was a body or parts you were using to build a complete car it may make sense but if it’s a complete running driving car then I would stay away.

7. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve sold two vehicles “out of state” over the years. Both had titles. Both went with the vehicles. I didn’t see a need to keep either title.

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya.....don't bother.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Sounds fishy .

I would not buy a car without a title , or ownership papers.

they changed the laws up here in Ontario a few years ago snd made it extremely difficult to obtain a title if you don’t have one in your name .

Had a similar thing happen , my wife and her brother have a property in Portugal and a neighbour wants to buy it. Does not have a down payment.
    Wanted us to lend her the down payment and “ sell her the property for a higher amount.
    Then she would give us back the down payment as then the bank basically paid itself the down payment.
    Spoke to a few people over there and they all said it’s somewhat common and a grey area .

Yeah well, up here that’s fraud and I want no part of it. Find your own down payment then come talk to me.

sound like your seller wants to sell the car, then sell some “ historical documents “
    Might not do anything to you, but then again it might cause you all kinds of grief so why take the chance !

gimpyshotrods, -Brent- and Budget36 like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

There is a good possibility that there is some miscommunication happening as well.
    Since you mentioned the vehicle is listed on the HAMB for sale, maybe direct the seller to this thread for a proper explanation.
    If the seller declines, then report the post.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

13. firemangordy

firemangordy

Better make sure the title actually matches the VIN on the car.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to inspect the car yourself or have an appraiser provide you with a comprehensive report? Given the title question I wouldn't close the deal without one or the other or both. JMO

gimpyshotrods and hemihotrod66 like this.
  15. Some state DMV's will not except a bill of sale and require a title, you are up Shinola Creek in South Carolina with a out of state car and no title. HRP

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I d
    I always do!

gimpyshotrods and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sounds extremely fishy. As I understand it, a BILL OF SALE shows that a transaction took place BUT, it doesn't prove ownership in the Sate of Arkansas. A transfer of title is required. The person whose name is on the Title owns the car. unless the Title has been "signed over" to the new buyer.
    Look here:
    https://www.dmvbillofsaleform.com/arkansas-bill-of-sale-dmv-ar/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Where in California is this car? The seller keeping the title is a major no-go at this station. HAMBer or not, get the title or pass on it.
    A lender can keep the title until the loan is paid in full but this isn't a finance deal.

19. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

There is absolutely no reason for him to keep the title that makes any sense. If you do this deal, he has the money and he has the title, and you have .... nothing.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. If the vehicle is currently titled. You get the title with the purchase. You need the title to register in your state. Make sure the title and VIN match. This is just plain 1. And 2. Rules of buying a used car.

last if the car does have a title and it’s on Non-op you still get the title. You should get all paperwork related to the car.

Please post the car so we can roast it a bit too.

21. I've sold many vehicles out of California
    Title always proves ownership even when you have to transfer the California title to the new state or country I would be careful on this one unless you don't mind buying a car that actually has no title or record

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might this be referring to the plates??? Being a Brit in Britain I have to admit I don't understand the US system of plates, titles, registrations etc. I bought a 41 Chevy from a guy in Palm Springs Ca a few years back. A Ca buddy finalised the deal for me. At collection the seller started saying the plates were his and he wanted to retain them. That didn't happen. I got the car into the UK and the US paperwork for UK registration, so I was happy. On my next trip to the US I find the physical plates in my buddies garage. They were of no real use to me but I still don't really get it!

Chris

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. ratfink56

ratfink56

Still trying to get to the bottom of it. He sent me a nine digit number that is the vin.
    Here's a copy and paste from one of his emails.

Here all you need is a vin # and you can get it reg. I have a good 32 ford title from Arizona you could use.With vin tag.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

[​IMG]

25. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That's some shady shit IMO

chopped and gimpyshotrods like this.
  26. ratfink56

ratfink56

Latest email

Because I can use it on another car , that's why if it goes out of state I will sell it with the Arizona title.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Seller is in Cal, has an ownership from Ariz (one can assume the Ariz ownership isn't in his name), and has a VIN tag you can rivet on so he is essentially saying "I don't have the ownership from this car but I have papers and a VIN plate from another car so you can make it look like this is that car" ... that is fraud.

Also, since when did 32 Fords use VIN plates? I thought numbers were stamped into the frame ... I dunno o_O

Sounds like you are being offered a car with no ownership and an ownership with no car ... ah, no spank you ... guh bye :confused::rolleyes:

Who makes out the bill of sale? I can't see the guy in California giving you a bill of sale for a title that is not only in someone else's name, it is from a different state too. Unless we are missing a big piece of the puzzle ...

28. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Tell him to keep the AZ. title for his "other" car.

29. ratfink56

ratfink56

Just to close this out I passed on the car. PMed Ryan with an overview of the situation. Offered to forward the emails. Got a response almost immediately
    "Man... I stay away from that legal stuff... It's so different state by state that I Can't possibly know what's what."
    Car belongs to blvdbill. It's a 30 Ford cabriolet. Anyone interested in the emails PM me and I will happily forward them.
    I fully expect to be banned so I just want to say "It's been real, amigos."

chopped, gimpyshotrods and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So does the car have a Vin that matches a title he has?

Have a friend call him and say he's in Cal, see what he says then.

gimpyshotrods likes this.