Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Classics Not Safe Anywhere

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Sep 19, 2021.

1. indyjps

indyjps

That's horrible. Parked in the garage and still not safe

If the driver is uninsured, does this fall under owners auto policy, or home owners?

Deuces likes this.
  2. Back in the 1980's guarding Cuban refugees a Jeep was stolen by them on a Military post. I witnessed the jeep flipping at 50+ MPH throwing Cubans all over. Some being flung 10' into the air coming down bouncing off of the asphalt and get up running. Yea, Adrenalin can cause some crazy shit.

210superair and Deuces like this.
  3. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Adrenalin enhanced by alcohol is a great pain killer...like a 250 horse nitrous shot.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's a good question. People who flee the scene almost always have stolen the car? Think about it.

If that's the case, even if the car is insured I don't see why an insurance co. would pay the claim. A better question, is whether the guy had insurance on his collector cars in the garage. Homeowners has nothing to do with car insurance. Never the twain shall meet, pretty sure on that.

That's one reason why ya gotta keep your car registered even if you're not driving it. Because they don't ordinarily write a policy on inoperable or unregistered cars. I think you can work out special "non operable" policies and unregistered cars and things like that.

We see this issue here sometimes on project cars, and parts, whose value can be considerable, and garage fires or tree damage. I let registration lapse and insurance when I was stationed overseas and the car parked at my folks garage and the agency were big dickheads about it when I got back to renew They don't like that. They charged me a lot more, dinged me for that. I suppose I should have called them and worked something out, but I was younger and dumber.

The deal is cars and parts just are not generally covered under homeowners policies. The extra parts and pieces have to be listed or a "rider" policy or whatever. Ahead of time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    48fordnut likes this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's for sure.
    And kept moving.
    Like maybe the driver passed out with the cruise control on.

Deuces likes this.
  6. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

I've seen a few references to "was the guy drunk, or was alcohol involved?" Nowadays it's meth-heads. A few months ago my step MIL, a very sweet lady, was killed by a meth-head who crossed the centerline and hit her head-on. Witnesses said the POS crawled out of the drivers window (the stolen pickup was damaged so you wouldn't think anyone could survive), jumped a fence and took off running. He stole another vehicle, and as far as I know, is still on the lam. Meth will make a normal POS a superman.

7. Shame shame shame - happened to me - guy in a van pushed my Imperial into my truck and ran off. When I got home it kinda looked like they were both a few feet further and as I walked up and around the other side the quarter on the IMP was sticking out - neighbor came over and filled me in.

Deuces likes this.
  8. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

stillrunners and egads like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

583b98826ba2edcd7c904d36ea856aca.jpeg Looks like the Vette is ok, but that poor Nova...:( What a shame.... I hope they catch that crackhead.. :mad::mad::mad:

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's the next problem in that situation, these guys are basically "judgment proof", and sticking them in jail "to pay their debt to society" actually costs money for three hots and a cot and the rest of it. The only one paying is the poor taxpayer and everybody who buys insurance. The joy rides can take out some expensive utility equipment, all kinds of stuff we don't ordinarily notice, but costs a fortune.

There's a residential T intersection in town here, a house got hit enough times (Maybe 2 times is a charm, too?) the owner laid a row of 3 really large granite boulders just inside the road right of way. Can't blame him.

partssaloon and Deuces like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40

now thats an anomaly way out there , looks like a tornado inside that place..glad the residents were o.k. insure your cars properly...news reporters generally embellish stories or just throw words out ...and lie alot these days...

Budget36 and egads like this.
  12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Had a drunk driver lose control in front of my house. He crossed the road, took out 2 mailboxes, the rolled from hitting the curb, it rolled 75 feet and hit a big oak tree next door. There was a gouge in the tree 8 feet up. car came to
    a stop upside down. the driver crawled out and hid in my neighbors back yard. The neighbor called the cops and told him where the idiot was hiding. He was drunk, unhurt, suspended license, driving his fathers car. Idiot cop put down
    no insurance, fortunately my neighbor was pissed enough he found the father was insured. That oak tree has been hit
    at least 3 times in the past 10 years, the neighbor is a landscaper and has a row of boulders across the front of his house.

Deuces likes this.
  13. rc57

rc57

14. oldolds

oldolds

I bet the Corvette has plenty of damage from the shrapnel.

15. Deuces

Deuces

16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

This is a product of what is now referred to as the "catch and release program". This is not the first rodeo for this cowboy. I wonder if the car is stolen, will the owners of the stolen car be held responsible?

Truck64 likes this.
  17. Around here it is not only the drunks and meth heads.
    20210612_170427.jpg
    We average at least one per week. Speed with inexperience. This one was estimated at +50 MPH on a 35 MPH turn by the State Police accident examiner. Tank was half full and non baffled. No other vehicles were involved but the driver was taken by ambulance after the windshield was kicked out to extricate him.

Truck64 likes this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah about a year ago a "naked man" got into an idling tanker truck 18 wheeler hauling a load of biodiesel from a blending facility and went on a high speed rampage through city suburbia streets, ended up crashing into somebody's home.

The dollar amounts in damages are astronomical. Telephone poles, the guys house is totaled, the 18 wheeler and tractor are totaled, the HAZMAT cleanup crew charges, loss of 20,000 gallons of diesel, etc.

Just one whackjob gets a bad batch of bath salts or whatever. He'll never repay a $&@king dime of any of it. "He was experiencing a mental health crisis" is the usual refrain, or they'll come up with something. Keep 'em locked up if ya know they are froot-loops, m'kay??

19. twenty8

twenty8

Lucky the owner wasn't in there working on his cars...................:eek::eek::eek:

stillrunners, Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post #5 shows a blue Corvette on the passenger side of what was once a Nova.

Deuces likes this.
  21. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would you call the investigating officer an "idiot"? The driver had no insurance and the officer put down no insurance. Who's the idiot?

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The car was insured, the father owned and insured the car.

23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did the officer know that at the time?

24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Obviously not but he should not enter unverified info on an official police report, In CT all the police cars can pull
    up your insurance info from their in car computer.

25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He probably asked the driver for his insurance information and the driver replied that he did not have insurance. Therefore it goes on the report as not producing an insurance card. A report is not etched in stone as the gospel but a recording of the details of the case. They are subject to adding information any time.

Insurance laws vary but the fact is that the officer should not be called an idiot.