Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dropped Steering Arms by CE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Sep 18, 2021.

1. oz40

oz40

Hi Guys.. need some help with upto date information .. Who is making and supplying the CE dropped steering arms for the 37-39 ford spindles. as at Sept 2021. Similar as attached picture. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Pete & Jake's had them on their flyer along with the CE forged axle they are now producing.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Just got a set through Summit Racing which were dropped shipped from Pete and Jakes.

4. oz40

oz40

Are these dropped arms available with double eyelets for RHD version?

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’m sure you could swap them to either side. I can take a close up photo and some measurements later today.

6. Fordors

Fordors

I doubt they can be swapped side to side, they must have an offset to clear the backing plates.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

There is an offset on both sides.

8. Fordors

Fordors

OK, I’m not looking to pick a fight but the question is about CE steering arms. I have never used bolt on arms but just going from memory I still say CE forgings will not work for RHD without a dedicated forging.
    Anyone have pictures of CE arms that are RHD?

9. alchemy

alchemy

I think 31pickup means there is a taper on both sides of the tierod hole. You can see in the pic the arm is meant for only one side of the car. Oz should get up at 3 AM and call Pete & Jakes to get the details. ;)

10. From what I could tell; there is only one forging which is then bent for left or right, with the extra eye trimmed off. The two bolt bosses are also machined for left or right.
    I "converted" a set to R/H for a guy. Made a fixture to hold the arms securely and heated and bent them the other way. The steering eye needed a little extra tweaking. The differing thickness of the bosses didn't appear to make a difference when bolted up along with a Lockheed backing plate. After a trip thru the blast cabinet; they looked unmolested. Not a big deal to do; but I had another set of arms to use as a comparison as I was bending them. I'm up in the north piney woods now; but I'll see if I still pictures of the modified arms.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You will be heating and bending the ends to alien the tie rods so to get RHD you will have to cut and weld the second eye to opposite arm.

12. junkman8888

junkman8888

Seb, from what I hear in the land down under you're not allowed to cut and weld steering components, that's why he needs to find out if the arms can be swapped side-to-side.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they are forged. That /\ fine gentleman Rich B done did these for me.
    I found some oem rhd 37-40 spindles and then another set - so never used them.
    the extra drop arms are for 4'' axle drop with stock wishbone
    you can buy so-cal extra drop rhd steering arms
    they made them stock drop
    and both sets available to run flat caliper brackets for 73-77 gm calipers onto I think f100 rotors 11/ 3/4''

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

5868D844-3ED7-40E2-A929-6AE3E9B036DA.jpeg What I was saying is they could be bolted on either side, you may have to make up spacers, but you would have to rebend the arm horizontally to the right. Being that they are forged, it shouldn’t be an issue, with the exception of the rules of modifying chassis items down under. Krylon32 mentioned another place that had right hand drive arms. Another option is to use the tie Rod end that had the extra tie Rod hole in it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I deleted all my posts on this thread because sometimes it's like talking to a rock. Once more, Roadster Supply has plain steel standard and deep drop thru bolt steering arms for right hand drive. Good quality parts.

RICH B and Budget36 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Pete & Jakes #1108D is the regular (not milled for disc brake) bolt thru deep drop arms.

The Roadster Supply bolt thru arms work good with their aftermarket dropped axle; but may have clearance problems on an original dropped axle.

The tie rod end with the eye for the drag link does speed up the steering ratio (and effort) more than you may think.

Bending the arms like I did for nobby wasn't too hard to accomplish and CE arms, while not the prettiest, will clear most any axle. Bending them may not be legal down under.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021