Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Happy Equinox***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

2. Outback,
    No idea on the engine in the foreground- it almost looks like a mirror image of an early Chevrolet or Olds 4... the other 4 cylinder in the background looks like Renault!

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Needle and seat (Viton) ordered from Mike’s Carburetor. Malpassi Petrol King regulator ordered from CB Performance. Carter low pressure pump ordered from Jegs. I’ll start with the needle and seat and let you guys know how it works out.

Jet96, johnneilson, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Its interesting lil engine, the one in the background is Vauxhall.

Jet96 likes this.
  5. 97

No thanks, I know who Clings are I don't use kits for anything , if I want to use a 39 gearset behind a banger I put the gears into a B case. I don't want a serpentine belt, it just confused me as to why a Model A one . I still don't understand how three pulleys don't line up with a Vee belt. I my minds eye a serpentine belt winds back and forth through multiple pulleys and allows some driven accessories or idler pulleys to run backwards and also requires a spring tensioner, which I can only see as over complicating a simple system.

Jet96 and Dustyp489 like this.
  6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Ca
    Well, sometimes doing a build, pulleys of different sizes, different belt width and diameters are encountered. In my case this situation existed. This kit came in handy. Plus kit has a multi bladed fan with pulley that stays together for high powered engines. This fit my needs on current build. I realize to each his own… choice, eh !

Outback likes this.
  7. 97

They all work the same ,
    the differences are in plumbing styles , i.e. fittings, and type of bowl glass or die cast aluminum and the type of filter supplied .
    Glass bowl or aluminum bowl, stainless or paper filter, and either 6mm (1/4 inch), 8mm, or dual 6 and 8 stepped hose fittings are the other variations in the combinations . The last two FKs listed ,
    30037FK67NPT and 30039FK67NPT have all the other attributes but are bored and tapped for 1/8 NPT fittings instead of fixed size tail fittings.
    I am not sure how it is different to others but the one with suffix AR in the part number is Alfa Romeo specific.
    I think the NPT one is probably most universally compatible for American applications , and I guess it will look tidy with screw in solid tubework. They all work the same though, and spare parts are available which can convert any of them to a different configuration. These things are old school, with old school owner maintenance and backup from the company.

Yes use them anywhere ,they are the most consistent and accurate regulator I have found . Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Alfa Romeo and other luxury and performance marques used them when they used carburetors.
    Weber and Dellorto would be 100% capable of manufacturing a pressure regulator, BUT they choose to use and recommend Malpassi! So yes I think they are the best available and will work with any carb.
    I think I would use an 85 with a pair of large twin barrel side drafts in a race setup just because there is likely to be more fluctuations , but I think any hotrod would be fine with a FK67 .

Jet96 likes this.
  8. 97

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Outback and Stovebolt like this.
  9. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I know @Binger runs a Malpassi setup on his coupe and likes it...

Binger likes this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

Serpentine belts transfer power better than vee belts and he offers a 6 bladed plastic fan,he packages both as a better cooling accessory drive with less parasitic loss...me? It looks like ass,and the 1/4 hp gain aint shit..its a model a for crying out loud...

97 likes this.
  11. Maybe that why it was the last one available...
    FWIW, I have one on a car, thats the way it came...
    When motor changed, so will the belt assy.

J

97 and Outback like this.
  12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have been using the Malapassi filter king unit for 5 years and have had good luck. I have the fuel pressure dialed down to about 2 PSI perhaps a bit less. I have not had any issues with fuel starvation. I have run it with both a single 97 and a pair of 81s. I got my unit from Merlin Motorsports in England. I think it was around $90.

13. 97

When Henry introduced the Model A he used a V belt , as an improvement to the flat belt used on Model Ts. , because now he had a generator to drive as well as the water pump!
    I can see a six blade fan causing issues , but I can't see the need for one.

14. guitarguy

guitarguy

Do you know if you are using the 67 or the larger 85 filter?
    Also what fuel pump do you run?
    Thank You

15. railcarmover

railcarmover

Sometimes I think they conjure up shit to sell..but hey, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

97 likes this.
  16. 97

I don't know which FilterKing @Binger is using, but the 85 refers to the diameter of the regulator diaphragm , not the filter itself. The reason I usually recommend the smaller one is that it is more the size of the original Model A watertrap and I think it looks more period correct . I think the larger one is better for multiple carbs on higher revving engines, but the 67mm one seems to work well on most street cars, especially bangers and flatheads. When I say high speed engines , I mean later model twin cam twin carb race engines like Alfas and Fiats and a few off topic engines . I have to add that most engines in that type are now efi.
    I have seen Ferrari V12s with multiple DCNF Webers running on one 85mm Malpassi FilterKing.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    guitarguy and Old Dawg like this.
  17. guitarguy

guitarguy

Thanks @97 , You once again have provided valuable info on fuel systems for me. This would be going on my Fronty T banger, but could have a stock-ish T motor in it's place too. Not sure if you recall our conversations, but I purchased a mid 60's SU HS-6 to use on the Fronty.

Old Dawg, Tribalmonkey and Dustyp489 like this.
  18. There's an old saying: "You can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks"! I think in this case YOU CAN! I've been trying to chase down a bothersome "crackle" my race engine gives out when taking a hard load at high RPM. It's not a complete miss; but sometimes gives out with a "Pop"! I've put new foam in the full cell; and new fuel line and a new inline pump/filter. We also took apart the Holley Low Pressure Regulator; found the diaphragm out of place (now the gauge makes sense). Just to make sure it's not ignition; I'm replacing the battery which showed "Weak" under a load test. If all that doesn't fix it; I'm thinking a Malapassi might "Do the Trick"! (Pun intended)

Dannerr, Jet96, Outback and 4 others like this.
  19. 97

John , I don't think any of us are past learning something new , I have learned much more from the HAMB than I have ever given.
    I have been using Malpassi regulators for over 40 years , I guess you could say I like them.
    They were developed for European race cars of a similar era to your car in the first place.
    I find the Holley regulator adjustment quite coarse and is harder to adjust down to constant low pressures accurately. They do a good enough job for later 2bbl and 4bbl Holley carburetors which have a bigger float with much more leverage , but the smaller float and bowl on Strombergs and even 94s make them vulnerable to smaller fluctuations which can leave the bowl low on fuel or flooding briefly . The Malpassi diaphragm is much bigger and responds quickly to control much smaller variations in demand and pressure.
    I think a Malpassi will enable you to use a higher flow float valve in your 97s to keep the main jets covered under high speed and load, but not allow high fuel pressure to force the needle from it's seat with fluctuations at lower load situations.

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. 97

Sure do, I cant wait to see the Sand Creek Special up and at it! The Malpassi will work on your SU if you are using a high pressure fuel pump, but I think in your situation I would find a SU pump. They can be temperamental too , most just need a new set of points , once they are working well they last a long time .
    There are solid state conversions but points are normally fine .
    They were available in 6v 12v either positive or negative earth . Nowdays new ones are dual polarity and everything has been "improved" including a damper/regulator. I have never used a new one , because nearly every English car up to the 70s used them, and there are still heaps around in NZ for a few dollars.
    http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spares.html

21. callcoy

callcoy

When I was last on here I was going to verify several things about Pete Arrdema's record setting Model A engine and his Streamliner. Pete, Kevin and both drivers didn't make it to the salt till late Sunday morning, so everything was rush rush to get them thru inspection. We didn't have time to chat, they made a pass with the 12 cyl. engine and qualified for a record; went into impound, then they discovered they had an internal problem, packed up and went home. I did talk to Kevin briefly but didn't talk about much with Pete, till today. I have been busy and just returned home a few days ago, so I am playing catchup.

As you know the streamliner is in Speedy Bill's museum, it does not have the record setting engine in it, that engine was put into the new lakester, and set a new record at over 190 mph. at El Mirage last Oct. That car now has the what Pete calls the 4 liter engine which is a DOHC Chevy type. The 12 cyl. engine is apart but is going back together and will run at Oct.'s El Mirage Meet, as of right now I will be there.

Pete told me today that an individual has been following Pete and his crew and has posted video's on Face Book, Pete says you can access this on Face Book by entering his last name. Sorry for the delay in getting this out.
    Steve

97 likes this.
  22. 97

Thanks Steve , I won't be in the US this year. I don't do farcebook but I can get someone to show me the page ...
    cheers
    CC8

23. Howard Tractor maybe

Outback likes this.
  24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I think I have the 67 size unit. I am running a Carter pump. I don't remember the number. It is a 12 volt one with the lowest volume. the pump was about $100 if I remember correctly. It is a bit noisy and noticeable because I am running it on my firewall.

guitarguy likes this.
  25. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

E116407C-0548-4F5D-8D52-04CEB3704C2F.jpeg

Here is a pic of the pump and filter from when I was putting my car together.

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Are you sure thats the inlet on the Malpassi ?

Dannerr and guitarguy like this.
  27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Yes. My car has run with it set up for 5 years.

Old Dawg likes this.
  28. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

It will run the way you have it, but the filter will not trap particles inside the filter element as designed, with the fuel going into the filter inside out

Dannerr, guitarguy and Binger like this.
  29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I looked and I think you are correct. Thank you. These instructions I found online are confusing. The angle of the inlet and outlet got me confused. Looking at the instructions the inlet is on the same side and I have mine hooked up wrong. You learn something every day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Dannerr and guitarguy like this.
  30. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

NICE CATCH !!

Dannerr likes this.