Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Medley Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hipojoe, Jul 24, 2021.

1. hipojoe

hipojoe

Is there any way to post a video of first start up? I am struggling hard with it!

2. You first have to have a YouTube account, post there, then copy and transfer to here. Kind of a pain in the butt.

3. Very cool, thanks

4. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

Its an honor to have you here !
    Your Dad is a legend to all of us !

Stogy and jim snow like this.
  5. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thats too bad, wanted to show a first start up in over a Half Century!

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great story! I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

7. hipojoe

hipojoe

Anyone know who might be able to rebuild a vintage STUART - WARNER tach? The one that has a battery and some other goodies in it, I dont necessarily need the vintage guts but would like it to function normally.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for sharing the family journey and history, I had one of this autographed T-shirts from 25 years ago forever, I wore it so much I wore it out.

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  10. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thanks for the number and kind words guys. It has been a life long journey, but we are getting it closer to becoming road worthy again just like 1955! Family and friends that race- build Hot Rods together - STAY TOGETHER:D

Stogy likes this.
  11. hipojoe

hipojoe

Just got some GREAT NEWS! A couple of days before Halloween 2021 - My dads car of his Dreams... Youth... Tom Medleys Hot Rod Coupe moved on its own power for the first time in 65 years A dear friend of ours is helping us out on this project and I hope to give him the accolades that he so deserves. Dad doesnt know it yet but when I take him over there his smile should be as BIG as the state of California where this cars history and my Dad... crossed paths so many decades ago. I will try to take many pictures and post them as soon as I get back from my date with Hot Rodding Nirvana! I feel Tom is nodding with approval and giving us that warm gentle smile he was known for. This ones for you Tom... and Dad !

The 39 guy, Nobey, Hamtown Al and 6 others like this.
  12. GREAT thread! Thanks for the history. I grew up with Stroker McGurk.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  13. hipojoe

hipojoe

Bringing it back to the way it was. Here a re a few progress pics. IMG_1060[1866].JPG IMG_1058[1864].JPG IMG_1057[1863].JPG

The 39 guy, Lil32, 4ever18 and 6 others like this.
  14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also----Not to mention that Tom was an avid fly fisherman!!!

15. hipojoe

hipojoe

A man of MANY talents... Editor, Hot Rodder, Photographer, Cartoonist, Upholster-er, WW2 bad ass, and now more added to that long list, a Fly fisherman!

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with that '39 crash box!---Been there & done that, sheared the "COB" & twisted both axles, even used tin foil in the key ways in the '41 rear. Went to 4 spd & '57 rear end. Still going great after 300,000 happy miles now.

LowKat, RDR, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  17. hipojoe

hipojoe

Is it still considered a crash box if it has synchros in it? Joe Mac rebuilt it for pops many years ago?

Nobey and Stogy like this.
  18. Deescott

Deescott

Saw the car a couple days ago at Rods and Relics. That car is in good hands!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. hipojoe

hipojoe

We feel the same way! Troy is the man... Does it get a thumbs up?

Stogy and Nobey like this.
  20. hipojoe

hipojoe

It has Lincoln Zepher gears in it,so hopefully it is able to handle a little more torque then a Crash Box.

Stogy likes this.
  21. hipojoe

hipojoe

I found some early go fast history from my families BACK IN THE DAY archives. What was the prime motivation behind getting my Fathers car back up to speed, was where its roots had come from. Back in the 50s it was rolling about a buck and a quarter when the furniture nails holding the soft top on decided they couldnt hold on any longer, and ripped the soft top off. That was the moment in time that the car was taken apart for refurbishment with a little refreshment and NEVER went back together until recently, approx. 65 years later. IMG_1063 - Copy.JPG

22. hipojoe

hipojoe

A couple more names that were associated with the car back in the day. IMG_0965.JPG

AHotRod, 302GMC, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  23. hipojoe

hipojoe

We should be picking up Dads Hot Rod from his youth this week, so as we move forward I will post some more updated pics to show the transformation from a bucket of bolts to becoming that street Brawler that was... from sooo many decades ago.

Lil32, AHotRod and Stogy like this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I anxiously await. A real Tiffany class jewel!

Stogy and Hollywood-East like this.
  25. hipojoe

hipojoe

Happy Thanksgiving! Just got some Vintage Smithys-Smitty mufflers installed for that back in the day look and sound, Pops just loves it and wont attract the long arm of the law... but still sounds like a car with authority!

Lil32, ChupaJustin, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. hipojoe

hipojoe

IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1082[3250].JPG A few updated pics.

Attached Files:

The 39 guy, Nobey, AHotRod and 5 others like this.
  27. hipojoe

hipojoe

Car is up and running now and my Pops says it pulls real hard, and after watching him pull away I concur. Now we need to try and get it to look a little more presentable with a period correct paint job that TOM ran 65 years ago! Can a single stage paint job be made to look nice like a BASE/ CLEAR paint job? Also going to get the soft top and seat base cushion to match its back in the day look. Any experience with canvas tops and vintage type upholstery is welcomed!

Stogy, Lil32 and harpo1313 like this.
  28. Personally, on a vintage style hot rod, I think single stage paint looks much better than bc/cc.

Mick

Atwater Mike, HEMI32, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  29. hipojoe

hipojoe

Thanks, anyone one else want to weigh in on Single stage paint jobs?

Stogy likes this.
  30. PPG DCC Concept Acrylic Urethane single stage is my go to. Amazingly durable, bright colors, flows pretty well. If you get lucky/are good with a gun you don't even need to cut and buff.

Stogy and loudbang like this.