Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Car show participants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Sep 7, 2021.

1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stubbsrodandcustom and jimmy six like this.
  2. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I talk to people because I built my car from the ground up and can answer any question you ask.

3. dan31

dan31

You come on here and tell a story about someone in the hobby not treating you right and your very next post is running down a member here, completely missing the point of his post. Why?,maybe it's because you have been a member on here since 2014 and still don't know the difference between a standard and Deluxe 40'. This is the HAMB, it's a 40 Ford, maybe time YOU should start asking some questions.

hotrodA and 2deuces64 like this.
  4. I am a friendly, patient person, particularly with folks, young or old, who may not have either my knowledge or experience. The guy was probably my age (75), on a scooter, and I could certainly appreciate that.
    But the guy was an arrogant ass, who kept on knocking MY car and comparing it to HIS new, and oh so cool ride, with the intent of beating me down to what he supposedly wanted to buy mine for. If he had just bought street rodding’s best 40 for a song, why would he want my basic, plain pipe racks, flattie powered driver, which wasn’t for sale anyway? He was a stroke, and couldn’t or didn’t try to hide it.
    Hope this clears it up for you, patiently and friendly.
    Adios.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You mean you haven't encountered the know it alls who will argue that you couldn't have done " that" , that it won't work , nobody else does it that way , in has to be wrong , nobody makes their own parts , etc ????

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    RJP likes this.
  6. How true Sir. Another great statement Lloyd. I like the way you think. I also try to be kind to all the people who approach me at a show or the track. I have been pushed to the limit several times by some jerk. I must be mellowing slightly with age, I try to shrug it off now instead of, well, you know.;)

bowie and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Heck, I ran into that guy you just described a decade ago! He had his entourage of 3 guys with him, and stopped to look at, and comment on my Austin gasser I'd just gotten on the road aa few months earlier. It was still in it's original factory black paint, which was well weathered. And I'd hand painted the name on the door myself, just because I knew it was going to be painted the next winter.
    The guy tells his buddies all about my Austin, then walks over to tell me he watched my "Anglia" run at Woodburn Dragstrip back in the 60's! I smiled and told him that wasn't possible for two reasons. First off it not being an Anglia, and second that 6 months earlier it was 100% stock with a 20 hp flathead 4 cylinder engine!
    He got very upset and told me I didn't know what I was talking about! Said I couldn't have built it; he did see it run as he said; and it wasn't an Austin! When his friends told him I should know what my car is, and especially know when it was built if I did the build; he just got mad at them too! They walked off and left him standing there, and my friends and I just went back to visiting, and ignored him until he left. We still chuckle about that when one of the guys recalls the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Damn nice Anglia ya got there brother!

WillyKJr, Tman, Special Ed and 5 others like this.
  9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'll direct this to "hotrodA" as it was his post that inspired my comments.
    When I ended my first paragraph with "Are you that person?", it was meant
    as a hypothetical question aimed at a general group of Hambsters. But as I
    look at it now it certainly does appear that I was getting on your case. That
    wasn't my intention and I apologize for that. I generally try to be clear with
    my comments.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    jimmy six likes this.
  10. dan31

dan31

Yeah, when is that gonna start?

11. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

"I had a guy ask if he could show his buddy and wife my gas filler. ... I got out of my chair and pulled down the license plate." wrote jimmy six. Ford got that absolutely right. You're never on the wrong side of the gas pump to fill up.

mad mikey, Sky Six and jimmy six like this.
  12. Fantastic. You did the right thing and enjoyed other conversations Good for you!:).

13. I took my rolling chassis to the Mid-State speedway reunion/central N.Y. Hall of fame yesterday (09-19-21)

The car was very well received other than one total F--KING JERK, He asked what the car was I said "It's built to run with the Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifies."
    He told me "It can this a vintage race car it a new build"
    He then asked what the frame was I told him it was built with three model A frames. He said "That rear part isn't an model A frame"
    I told him yes it was I am the one cut it up and welded it, he replied "Well it can't be!, why it it so clean!?" I told him I sandblasted it. After several other comment I finally had enough of his vast knowledge of my build and told him-
    "You know more about it then me, answer your own questions!!"

I love talking the real deal old time oval trackers, drag racers, and hot rodders, but that's what I get for I was trying not to be rude to an older guy who was just a grandstander (I call them civilians) not a racer!
    upload_2021-9-20_12-9-18.png upload_2021-9-20_12-9-39.png upload_2021-9-20_12-10-20.png

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  14. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Didn't necessarily have to be "old guys". Some of us zone out more easily than others. o_O

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we went to car shows as spectators, we had a few friends show their cars. But, the whole scene was not our thing. We liked hot rods, custom cars/trucks and the drag race cars that they allowed into the arena car shows. But, we never had the inkling to show any hot rods or builds. Perhaps, if/when our 1940 Willys Coupe was going to be completely finished, it would have qualified as a car show participant. That never happened.

We always thought there was a lot of preparation for the displays and it was mostly a “looking at” show days. The owners usually were not around on show days. But, by the time we were into the photography stage, we saw the owners in a different mode.

Set up days were the type of action we liked. We got to talk to the owners of the actual show cars or the hot rods that were going to be displayed. For the most part, if we caught the when they were finished or almost finished, they took the time to talk and we all had fun.

Some displays looked awesome and had a lot of stuff to make the custom car stand out. There was a lot of work that was put into the car and the display. But, the usual cordoned off hot rod was far enough away that no one got too close. During the set up days, it was as close as you could get and then the conversations started. Someone taking interest in the way the hot rod or custom car was built, the accessories or just the overall attraction.
    upload_2021-9-28_4-17-44.png
    Those guys/girls were nice to me as I was not pushy in talking to them. It just happened as I was looking. When we were finished, the conversation usually continued to an “after the show” photo sessions the following day or week, depending on the activities of the owner’s time.

Jnaki

Our experiences were always nice and the hot rod builders were always anxious to get great photos of what they deemed “their baby.” For us, it worked out well and I am sure the owners were happy to get some quality photos and framed prints of their hot rod, not just a Kodak box camera photo in the driveway, (nothing wrong with the handy Kodak box cameras, but they were good, but had limitations.)

16. My wife won Best Of Show at a local car show with her 53' Chevy 3100 by popular vote. We had just pulled it out of a field. Just got it running and drove it in. It smoked and barely ran. Should have seen the looks on the faces of the owners of the really nice show cars. Made me giggle. They changed the rules the next year so that couldn't happen. We got a good laugh though. Another time I was talking to a Model A club member about my ideas of hot rodding an A. He looked at me as if I was the devil him self. And the 80/20 rule is reversed for Corvette owners in my experience. 20% are nice, the 80% snub you if your not one of them. Maybe its because I wear Ford attire? Haha. Most people are great at shows, but some are ass hats.

Blues4U likes this.
  17. adam401

adam401

I dont ever hang out near my car unless I have a cooler of beer in it that im running back too so maybe people shit talk my cars but im not there to hear it generally.
    If I see a car that i dont care for I keep it to myself. If I comment on someones car that comment is positive. Also its weird to be rude to people at cars shows or anywhere else. I build my cars but I dont really care who does or doesnt. Im not there to analyze the owner vehicle relationship haha ya know? Whatever.

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  18. 34Larry

34Larry

Wow, surprised this thread is still getting some comments. Since it is, here's another one, kind of a embarrassment for me really.
    I got into this hobby, (car shows), back in '89 when I bought a rare
    , O.T. '66 Rivi GS, factory dual quad car. (It had scored 98 points in a national Buick show.) I had put my mark on it and was the trophy whore talked about in these parts back then. I entered a real popular, well attended show that had participant and public judging only, no semi, or pro judging. Came time for hardware and my number was called as best, (of all things), STREET ROD! Well I did double check the results and it was my number. I've never told that story before, still embarrassing situation it portrays. Biggest street rod I've ever seen to be honest, LOL.
    Just want to be sure everyone knows trophy's don't mean much anymore, and when selling the Riv. all such stuff was boxed and shipped away with it to the new owner who demanded it be included in the sale.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021