Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Columbia 2 Speed for Bonneville?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Haven Hills Auto Club, Sep 13, 2021.

1. I have a vision in my head of what a period 1949 hot rod that was daily driven, but Bonneville bound could have ran as a rear axle. I want to be clear. I will not run a quick change rear for personal reasons. It's not right for my vision, although I know it is correct for the hypothetical timeline. With a 7.00x16 rear tire, 255+ flathead v8, 26 tooth Zephyr gears in a 39 box, what would be a good rear gear for a Columbia rear if the intent was to only engage the overdrive gear to go faster on the top end at Bonneville? Is that just a waste of time, or is it a possibility in the mind set of 1949, NOT TODAY, that this could have worked? Drive the car there with no pusher truck, and shift into overdrive to gain speed on the top end. I'm not looking to break records, but could this work, and what gear would be best suited for this application? The intent would be to use the Columbia ONLY for land speed trials and not overdrive at 55. What do yall think. Or should I just run a one of the other normal banjos I have instead? Oh, and I'm pulling a teardrop trailer with a 1931 Roadster This is not real yet, just hypothetical. Sorry, no pics.

2. Most folks run a 1to1 final drive on the salt. And the Columbia is not known for being bombproof. Things to consider

3. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I have a similar set up as yours in my 32 roadster 7.00x16 tires, 39 top loader, 8ba, 3:54 banjo. It always felt like I needed another gear on the highway. Installed a Columbia with the 3:54's, now there's plenty of top end. You mentioned you are pulling a trailer with the 31, this setup probably wont allow you to use OD very often if at all. Since your objective is to just use OD just on the flats, I don't see why your vision would not work.
    I would recommend disconnecting the trailer before any time trials.

4. ^^^ or go for a record in a new class!!

5. 10K classes are not enough for you?

Stan Back likes this.
  6. I realize the Columbia is not bullet proof. If engaged incorrectly damage may occur and it is not recommended for drag racing since a hole shot could scatter the axle. I was just envisioning a way to use "Ford" parts to give an advantage over everydayish gearing when competing in a speed trail with no pusher truck. From what I have seen, don't most of those cars get pushed, because they're gearing is crap off the line? Purpose built, hence the quick change. Again not trying to break a record, but on paper it appears with the right gearing it could give an overall speed advantage. Like 4500 rpm in overdrive? I'm just spit balling, but planning for the build.

7. Unless you run the USFRA 130 Club do you realize you have to build your car to the same safety standards as any class specific that you would fit into? Full cage, scatter shield, fire safety systems. Driver safety gear etc?

Mr48chev likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Are you saying there are 10,000 different classes? Or does the 10k refer to something else?

9. Between cars, truck and motorcycles and 3 wheelers plus engine sizes, fuel and gas, blown vs. NA the total number of combos grows exponentially. Then we have non otto cycle and now electric power. You do the math! ;)

26 T Ford RPU and Budget36 like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks.

Tman likes this.
  11. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Even without a push car you still need a push / tow car at SCTA events. Unless I am mistaken race cars can only be driven under power when they are actually running down the course.

I think for competition use you would want to stick with 1:1 as a final drive ratio in the transmission with no additional overdrive gears running elsewhere. Especially in a power limited vintage engine class.

Can a Columbia or similar be setup as an underdrive / direct axle? I am really not familiar with how they work.

How about 2 transmissions? One pretty narrow range for race use likely bolted to the bellhousing. Final drive would be 1:1 on this one, and the narrow range would keep you in the power band. The second transmission would be your wide range street transmission, with the first transmission running in less than 1:1 so it acts as an underdrive. For race use the second transmission is run in 1:1, although if you did the ratios right you could split gears on the street and on the race course. Keep in mind torque multiplication and try not to grenade anything though.

12. USFRA lets you drive or tow down the return road in the 130 and 150 Clubs

FYI the SCTA Record for XF/VGC was 132.876. Could have been bumped at Speedweek this year

13. I'm only talking 1949 rules and specs. This is not a real car yet. Just trying to build my car as if it could have happened in 1949. My car is planned on having a roll cage and belts. I may never even see the salt, let alone drive an $60,000 car on it. But I do want it to be as historically accurate as possible as an idea. I hope you understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. I think in todays standards, this car would never be aloud to run, but I don't know much about Bonneville. But it would be epic to drive one of these old Fords out on the salt.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

in vehicles running less than 200 mph ?

15. Then what you are trying to do is totally different.

Yeah, Tims pickup had a 5spd, we tried the overdrive once and lost mph. LOTS of beefy 4 speeds being run, NASCAR type stuff with 1-1. Most customize gearsets for nice close ratios. And, even tho a QC steals some power, they are still most common for the ability to customize final drive ratio.

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

Oh, you mean transmission ratio not overall gear ratio, never mind...:D

26 T Ford RPU and Tman like this.

17. I would totally grab the early years of HRM and look at the fine details and clone away. I did read one part of your original post, I thought you were talking coupe. But, now I see you have a roadster. That is good since coupes were not run in the very early years

18. The stories I've heard was guys driving their daily driver to the flats, removing their running boards, fenders, and windshield with nothing more than surplus aircraft belts, a crude roll bar, and a leather helmet and goggles. For what I'm doing, two transmissions would be too complicated as a lone racer. I only have the option of using a Columbia or a stock banjo. So with my self appointed limitations, I just need to know if anyone has heard of such a thing done before and if it gave an advantage even if it was small.

19. I own the 1948 full edition and some 1949 editions of HRM. Haven't read through all of them yet, but extremely interesting. Haven't found a rule book from 48 or 49 though. Just kinda winging it based on pictures and here say.

Tman likes this.
  20. I got to help tear one apart that blew up behind a hemi. That was fugly.

21. Its a ported 59a, bored .060 over, 4" crank, Hotton & Sullivan heads, Hexagon intake with carb adapters. Should make more the 85 horse?

22. A Columbia on a Hemi? Beating on it or going fast?

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

C8CEA591-39EE-467A-B220-9F5DC74B872F.jpeg Why build a clone? For a few thousand more you can build to meet current safety standards....Then a trailer it The Loring Maine 1-1/2 mile paved track...A great place to race, less expensive that Bonneville .SCTA classes and safety but you can drive the vehicle to and from the pits. The racing is based on honesty, your word is taken on engine size and fuel type, no tear down inspections for a track record...How novel, eh?
    It is not the salt but is is real racing on a track with challenging conditions and pleasant people. Some vehicles exceed 260 mph...And you may see a moose near the track..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  24. I think the first mistake was that it would last behind anything more that 100hp, the rest was just inevitable!

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  25. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

To get any speed out of your flathead with the parts you list your engine will need to be geared 1 to 1. The combination you have will never pull with the OD from the Columbia engaged. There's a number of factors working against you when your at Bonneville the biggest hurdle to overcome is the density altitude which during Speedweek after 11 AM is over 7000ft and as the hours pass it only gets worse. This means very little air for the engine to breath. Our beloved flatheads need all the air they can get so taking all of this into consideration and if your car passes the tech inspection. Here's a possible combination to consider. Using a banjo rear with a 354 gear and a 30 inch tall tire if the engine could turn 4200 RPM the speed you would see is 105 MPH. If your able to pull to 4500 RPM the speed now is between 112 and 113 MPH. That is not an easy task for the flathead sized say 255 cubes. This really is a lot harder that it looks.
    Ronnieroadster

26. If air is the problem. REMEBER IT IS 1949. Could I rig a surplus aircraft oxygen tank to a regulator ported into the intake under the carbs. We are just having fun here. Just a couple twenty somethings hanging out on Woodward in Detriot dreaming about salt in 1949.

27. WWII aircraft used superchargers to combat thin air. Couldn't pure oxygen have the same affect as the supercharger, just maybe not as good?

28. Oh, and I think my engine works out to being a 267, but it's just numbers.

29. Ask Barney Navarro

Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  30. That would be the So Cal dry lakes, not Bonneville.

TrailerTrashToo and Tman like this.