Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a Golden find Anthony...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very nice and well done but for me a little over done. It may have gone past perfection. Is is possible to have too many nice details? Also thanks fo posting it has me rethinking the color & interior of my build. This is very close to what I was planning and though very well done maybe not. So close.

'28phonebooth and Stogy like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

Can’t go wrong with...KISS!

'28phonebooth, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It needs a little dirt under its fingernails to wash off the new car look...I get what your saying...it also highlights that divide when Street Hotrods were becoming more polished and perhaps being influenced by the GNRS, ever changing road racing events, the opening borders bringing in more European and other worldly styling influences...upping the finish factor...

Six Ball likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27336717_1556404164454888_8506910301592798430_n.jpg

AL POSED 1946.jpg

:rolleyes:...Flames bring out either the WOW or the WOE factor, but there's no doubt it's been part of the scene from it's humble beginnings...Love it...

It's been said the non fully hooded look was not influenced by racing...hmmmm

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

OLLIN, Jet96, Shadow Creek and 3 others like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I read somewhere that flames & scallops originated as a way to patch up race car paint jobs after crash repair so the whole car didn't have to be painted, all those numbers, names, & logos.
    I'm reading a book about the history of dirt dirt track fro 1919 to 1942 though it touches beyond that. Lots of great race car pictures mostly "big" cars.

Jet96, Shadow Creek and Stogy like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your spot has been reserved...:D

I believe this will be a huge milestone in Hotrod for you...It sounds like a really interesting combination of parts...the Turtle deck you just picked up looks awesome...the mockup with the mill was a huge teaser too...I can tell from your build details you have a pretty clear vision in your head and the look beyond the typical is admirable...Go Ricky Go!!

Rickybop likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:oops:...let's hope it doesn't catch on...that's why 1965 came around as a deadline...but getting a kid to have a bath might have been easier...

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

America's answer to the Amphicar...:D

Now...think about when Dad took you to the Car show when you were a wee tyke...you would have been all excited and dreamed of that in the garage and then the model ended up under the Christmas tree with the Munstermobile...but for the mature Hotrod crowd here it's a little off...

Now toss the tub and shell away and throw a Crosley body on it...:cool:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cc sp 3.JPG.jpg

:rolleyes:...Ole Sportys make awesome Hotrods...Buick power with a 6 pack surely does the trick too...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chevyfordman, Six Ball and MMM1693 like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@stingbean, I just revisited this awesome Hotrod you shared...and was wondering what's under the hood and went snooping to see if I could find out a little more...it's really quite well done...did you have any more pics?

Quoted from ebay...

"1925 ford roadster built on a 1925 chevrolet chassis. early hot rod originally built in 1939. lots of the original parts have been reused in this build. 1925 171 4 cylinder chevy 3 speed manual. new head gasket new push rods. rebuilt starter. lights work. shortened model t touring body. 32 ford grill."

...and then I found out you did a Thread on it...:eek:...:)...all good...

More awesome pics at Stingbeans Thread below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/jack-calori-prewar-modified-for-sale.1221211/

So it was Jack Calori's to boot how about that...AND prewar...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/help-identify-this-modified-muroc-1938.938738/

:rolleyes:...and 1 more short Thread

17. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I thought is was a photo shop! I think Anthony Myrick should hit it with a hammer. :eek:

19. I’d drive it.

and yes, I have been hit with a hammer

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now THAT beats bathtubs...:p...I think Junior's thinking of it though...I can hear him already Daaaad I want the bathtub Hotrod...:D

A Thread on it and the Life of Riley show it was featured in...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...gets-a-hot-rod-co-staring-wally-parks.681877/

One of my faves

The Jim Griepsma Coupe

Oh Boy @pgan did a blog on it and he shared a shot I've never seen...Thanks Pat...

0_Grieps05-2.jpg

https://patganahl.com/2021/03/22/cover-story-iv/

Credit to Photographer, Owner

21. A Boner

A Boner

5B6D0A96-34CA-421D-BDE2-84009E82FF95.png
    What’s the story on this???

OLLIN, Shrapnel, alfin32 and 7 others like this.
  22. Nope. And since when is achieving perfection something to be frowned upon?

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some like surgically clean show ready vehicles...some like the driven look...I'm in the latter category...

There is a divide from the rough around the edges Hotrod and the polished everything aligns and everything linearly correct finished rides...

I believe car shows influenced this fit and finish evolution...and while is nice to see them shiny many times the driven look has ambience that doesn't resonate in a showroom environment especially with everything surgically clean...

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stellar UK build and was a Pendine participant...I think...:)

Any of of across the pond Hambers have any details? Paging @hotrodfil

A Boner likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Yes, I’d like to see some build pics or better yet a video!

Stogy likes this.
  26. So, you're from the group that thinks 'almost' is good enough? I agree with your surgically clean statement, however a little dirt won't detract from perfect engineering and fabrication execution. I just prefer to be a member of the other group. After all, to quote Robert Browning, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp".

63fdsnr and Stogy like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Right after I said, ".. but for me a little over done." Like what you want, think what you want, build what you want....." but for me" is as valid as as any of your opinions. Not better but equal to.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost good enough isn't what I was implying, you may have seen Grabowski's Iconic T under its shiny finish while undergoing a restoration...vintage stick welding...to many here it would be cut that ugly off but that's actually part of the soul of 65 and older builds...older methods just not as pretty as today's tig welding and computer aided cutting...a sizable percentage of vintage Hotrods were all over the place in fit and finish and still perform and fulfill the requirements expected of them...safely even though many were in fact not...

That ride I shared that created the reply had numerous addons and was pretty near a tipping point of too many details but I admired the workmanship and overall look...many times we are rewriting past history in a way that it wasn't in many cases...that's not truly the essence of what we celebrate here...

Stan Back and Six Ball like this.