Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Olds haul

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Aug 30, 2021.

1. This past weekend I made a road trip of 3 hours each way to look at a bunch of older Olds parts. Came back home with some nice stash. Most of these parts had been in a private holding of a past hot rodder. Very impressive setting. here is what I came back with:
    A sweet old Wieand intake with chrome 97's and a center 48 with air cleaners. Nothing froze up
    wieand3x2.jpg

Three sets of adjustable rocker assemblies. One is a Thomas, a look alike set that is a mirror of the Thomas but not labeled. Both are 1.8 ratios. The last is a smaller set on Olds shafts? that may be Studebaker rockers but they are smaller for certain.

adjrockers.jpg

Picked up 4 45 fin drums, one is a NOS the others are the best used ones I have ever found with very thick liners
    45fin.jpg

And lastly the prize of the day. A NOS chrome set of Olds J2 dimple valve covers that have never been on an engine. GM produced around 500 371R's as best as I can determine all of which had the high lift race cam requiring the dimple covers. After production it is said that Isky produced some after market pieces. Whatever the case these are just beautiful pieces.
    J2covers.jpg

Going to pull those rockers apart and clean them up next. They are a bit sticky and need some detailing. Most likely will turn them loose after a bit.

2. Fun trip, to pick up some goodies. Proves that there's good stuff all over, just have to follow up on the leads.

Deuces, 41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

There is always Hope for that "I'd like to have that" part. Great score!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Deuces, 41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Very nice score!! Did they have anything else?

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  5. They have lots of stuff. Lots of flywheels for Olds, Pont and Hemi's. Too many bell housing adapters to look at in the time I had available. I left behind a log manifold and another 3x2 setup with linkage. There were parts everywhere. A pile of what looked like 35-40 Ford brake/clutch assemblies. In one spot we looked at was what I think is a 37 Packard tranny with a 7 bolt top cover which I believe Packard used back then. There was an after market 32 frame in one building and several Olds engines which I did not look at. Then there was the pile of Schaeffer clutches that all seemed in good shape which I was not interested in. Lot of head lights that I did not look at but suspect they were 682's so to answer your question, yes they have lots of stuff.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great score! Congratulations. Somehow, I have a feeling that stashes like this will be coming up more often in the near future.

I expect that one will be mine.:(

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  7. belair

belair

8. ted kovacs

ted kovacs

WOW! Great score! Sounds like he has a lot of cool vintage parts.
    Sounds like he gave you a good deal on everything.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Sounds like a place worth visiting again! Great score with what you brought home.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's a great haul, and those valve covers are absolute jewelry. Any plans for an Olds build?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Joe, yes ongoing now for about 10 years. Nearing completion, working on the body now. Running a 324 bored to 371 specs, Ross cam, 3x2's mated with a 37 Buick tranny and a 9 inch out back.
    olds eng..jpg

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Very cool, looks like a great build.

I'm assuming you mean by "bored to 371 specs" you mean you overbored the 324 .125" over to 4" standard size 371? I'd love to see some details about your build since I have 3 324s laying around and I'd like to build one of them in that mold. Stock rods? I see '56 #10 heads there, too. Any work on them. I love what you did with the PCV valve there.

Very cool build!

loudbang likes this.
  13. BigRRR

BigRRR

I was noticing the PCV as well. Would you mind giving some info? I have a 371 (my avatar) and would like to do away with the road draft tube and add a PCV. What valve are you using? Where is the valve connected? Where are you drawing fresh air from? Any info will be very much appreciated! Thanks
    PS: Beautiful looking engine you have there!!!

loudbang likes this.
  14. Joe, yes I am using 371 pistons so I have a 345ci now if IIRC. I have a build thread that I will start updating again as I am now back on this project. I have been on a vintage house rebuild for the last 2 1/2 years which is winding down now. Here is the build thread:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/at-69-my-first-a-coupe-project.958142/#post-10783537
    just turned 75 this past Feb., funny how time gets away from you!

That 324 is a stock rebuild as far as the bottom end. The heads were rebuilt by Dave50 down in MA. He used Z28 valves and did some machining on them. Using GM small block hyd lifters with adj. rockers and custom length pushrods. That cam is a mild grind that has a small amount of lope to it at idle. It is a grind that Tony recommended for the street. I am going over to 97's at present and had Uncle Max rebuild the primary recently to get the engine running. That Revpol was rebuilt by Jim (GMCBubba) a while back. Seems to be running ok but I may change over to a MSD 6 and use the Revpol just to trigger it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  15. BigRRR that pcv is a Gm 350 piece that was intended to mount in the valve cover using a pvc rubber grommet, circa late 60's early 70's. I took a piece of exhaust tubing that the rubber grommet fit into tightly welded a cap on the bottom which sets on the valley cover, tapped a whole in the side of it for a brass barb fitting that connects to the 5/8 tube via a pvc hose. Bent the 5/8 around the back of the block where it attaches to a brass right angle fitting that is threaded into a plate that replaces the draft tube flange. Air is from the oil fill tube up front using the OE cap.
    All my friends think I am anal but I hate a lot of hoses across the top of the engine. (OK guess I am anal:rolleyes:)

Jet96 and loudbang like this.
  16. BigRRR

BigRRR

Thanks for the info Walt. I was just reading through your build thread. Wow!!! Marvelous work!
    My father started a roadster build at 70 ... never completed, but made it on the road and definitely kept him young and enjoying life... Looking forward to reading through the rest of your thread and watching your progress.

loudbang likes this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What exhaust manifolds? Did you make them, or are they after market? Nice car btw

loudbang likes this.
  18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

They look like the shorty headers from Noxious Customs

loudbang likes this.
  19. As Joe mentioned those are from Noxious. Think I bought those on his site at Ebay.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks, I’ve been looking into those as well

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

How do you like them so far?

22. So far so good. Fit was good, flanges were straight and no leaks.

nochop likes this.