Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Scallops - how to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Ok, guys, I'm thinking about doing some mild scallops on my 53 Chevy coupe. Front and rear wheel openings and the hood. I think I can do it myself. Is there some kind of tips, suggestions or instructions somewhere I can learn from? Oh, and yes, I will attempt to pinstripe the scallops myself!!!!
    One more, I am thinking of striping the louvers as well.

Thnx ahead of time,

Tom 20160827_112502 (Medium).jpg 20170603_154030 (Medium).jpg 20170917_134122 (Small).jpg

AVater, RMONTY, Tman and 2 others like this.
  2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I love your car. Could you maybe build a duplicate and scallop that one?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    juan motime and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. 20190511_155204 (Small).jpg 20190511_155412 (Small).jpg 20191208_092340 (Small).jpg 20200511_105143 (Small).jpg Thanks quick85. I do have another 53 business coupe in progress. And, it does need a complete pint job but I have to strip it down due to a previously poor paint job. That requires a lot of work and I bought the car from a "friend".
    Just though this 53 could use a simple scalloping.

quick85 likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Tom, you might ask the guys on the photoshop thread.

jimmy six likes this.

5. I may just do that!

Thanks!

catdad49 likes this.
  6. It might just be me but IMHO that Chevy is perfect the way it sit's. it just sit's right and really doesn't need anything else to improve the looks. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  7. I think some scallops will look good on that car even though it also looks good like it is now. I have scalloped a few cars and could help with process thoughts if needed. Also, the photoshop thread idea is great to help you visualize what you will end up with.

lothiandon1940 and 210superair like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just not seeing scallops on that car with that color combo.
    If you feel that you just have to pursue it though, I'd go along with the suggestion of getting guys to do the photoshop art work and come up with a design that doesn't end up looking like you bought Decals at Autozone and stuck them on.
    From knowing guys who did it in the 60's when I was just a followtail kid hanging around it takes a serious artistic eye plus it take a lot of tape and masking paper. Then the other side has to exactly match the first side you did.

9. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purely as a suggestion, and nothing more, practice on the blue Chevy, since you are going to repaint it anyway. That will at least give you some real perspective, rather than having to depend on the photo-shop mode. I agree with others, that silver and black Chevy coupe is just fine the way it is, IMHO !

10. get a roll or two of 1/8"masking tape and start playing. Different scallop widths, lengths, and tapers, all make a difference in the look as, of course, does the scallop color, base color, and stripe color. Don't be afraid to keep changing until it is the look you want. Best wishes, and do a lot of looking around at other cars in magazines and the web to see what you like best.

Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. This car is begging for scallops the same color as the roof!
    Here is an idea, I dig this style

adscallop.jpg

12. williebill

williebill

Absolutely love scallops done well.

lothiandon1940, guthriesmith and Tman like this.
  13. Slopok

Slopok

Look at some Larry Watson threads for ideas.

504640 and fauj like this.
  14. @Snegrah
    Probably more than you have in mind but I thought I'd give you and idea of how it might look.....

Stripes.jpg

15. Whoa! Nice. Bold in size but nice! I was thinking black with white pinstripes, subtle on the wheel wells. Can you play a bit more?

Thanks a bunch, moose.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Get some fine line of varying widths and have at it!

17. Love the art that Moose did…does it look futuristic to anyone else? I like it!

18. Boatmark

Boatmark

Just remember less is more.
    The goal should be to accent the car, not overwhelm it.

38Chevy454 and 504640 like this.
  19. Boatmark, I absolutely agree. That's why I wrote "subtle". And I also asked for "how". Moose brought me to a different level on "what" and at least opened my mind to other "what" things! Hey, this is all about ideas and what can/should be done...and how?

20. 504640

I totally agree, Boatmark! I add the suggestion of keeping the scallops symmetrical! One way to "overwhelm" the car is to have the scallops layed out in a helter skelter pattern!

21. Again!!!! YES! I agree. It must be symmetrical! No Helter Skelter is allowed!

504640 likes this.
  22. here's a quick one....

Stripes2.jpg

23. 504640

24. Whoa.....that's what I'm leaning towards. No space between the scallop and the start of it. Longer top "spear"? Make sense? Crap, I don't want to wear out my welcome...

25. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Agree longer top spear, say just into the door past the gap

26. Here's another one I did as per Tom's request and he asked me to post it here so he could get some input from you guys on this version....
    Moose

20170917_134122 (Small2).jpg

27. Color is right. I would ditch the uppers and add some to the rear wheelwells.

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. I second this. I like the above but would like to see it as Tman suggested.

29. Yep, I third the suggestion about losing the upper ones and adding behind the rear wheel.

lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  30. I might also do some on the hood and maybe even roof in opposing color or decklid, but you likely would see those in a side view.

Tman likes this.