Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Car show participants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Sep 7, 2021.

1. I got conned into judging a car show once. Gal I was running around with had set it up for her real estate business. She even persuaded me to haul my Sprint car over. It was me, and one of her business partners as judges. Guy knew exactly zero, zip, nada, about anything automotive. But, he was smart enough to ask questions and defer to my judgement. Spent the day explaining form over function, flash over substance, and the difference between real car guys and asshole, wanna be, poser, car guys. He got quite the education. Had one asshole poser actually threaten to take us to court over a 20 buck piece of plastic (I settled that dispute out of court in the back parking lot). The thing that amazed him the most, was that I let the kids crawl, sit, and play (within reason), all over my Sprint car. He asked why I wasn't worried about them messing something up. I told him they couldn't fuck it up any worse than I did every Saturday night. But I did explain the difference between a 100.00 and a 10,000 dollar paint job. He started hanging around the shop and ended up building (with my help) a 23 T. It was a bit flashy for my taste, but he definitely got his hands dirty during the build. He turned out to be a 'good' car guy, and he lets Moms and kids sit in it at the shows.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    LAROKE, Tman, ebs121781 and 13 others like this.
  2. You run into all kinds. The two shows I'm involved in we no longer award 'best' trophies with the exception of 'Best of Show' just to avoid this. All ours are 'Favorite' awards, gives you a lot more leeway in choices. Nobody wins more than one trophy at any single show or the same trophy two years in a row. That keeps the trophy whores in check.

Driver50x, MBog, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

34Larry, I've met more jerks through cars than anyone should. I've got
    a few stories that still astound me but suffice to say, there are actually
    more kool car owners than not. There are so many regular Joes that
    enjoy a compliment and are happy to answer questions whether their
    rides are dynamite or just run of the mill. I've taken to watching
    some guys to see how they look (sourpuss?) or conduct themselves,
    before I approach politely. If someone wants to talk about my car I'm
    all ears, especially if they're young. I don't want to discourage any youngster
    from getting into cars before we're all forced to go electric.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  4. Most shows I attend I put a "not to be judged" sign in my front window. Many ask why? I respond --- Let the trophy whores enjoy the $20 piece of plastic,, I'm here to support the hobby.

LAROKE, Tman, Hutkikz and 7 others like this.
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

I guess OP came across a group of guys that my Mom told me about in my youth. " Always Remember, There way more Horse's Asses than there are Horses " Whenever I meet this type person it makes me smile, memories with my Mom, I miss her to this day, left too soon, gone 42 years now. In general IMO car people are good people most are friendly and like to talk about their car, I enjoy the shows, people and the hobby.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I prefer the shows where the entrants and spectators vote for their favorites. It can be by class, such as pre 48, muscle car, etc., or just overall favorite. Even then you can get some questionable winners if a guy and a few of his buddies gang up and vote for a certain person or car, seen it happen a few times. Dust catcher trophies are nice to win, they make a person feel good about their car and/or work, but I don't require one to have a good time and enjoy myself.

As to people being standoffish and sometimes rude, you never know what's on a persons mind at the time. At one show I usually go to a guy had a car the same model as I had at the time, I approached him as he backed into a parking slot hoping to have a conversation about it. He was rude and sullen, so I left with a bad impression about him. The next year, I saw him again, this time it was he who approached me. Turned out to be a great car guy, very friendly. Have talked to him many times in the years since. First impressions aren't always right.....

hotrodjack33 and Algoma56 like this.
  7. Sometimes I just avoid certain shows 'cause I already know which ass-holes will be in attendance.:eek:

LAROKE, OLSKOOL57, nosford and 6 others like this.
  8. In todays world there are a lot of angry people.
    We may share a common interest, but doesn't always equate to a brotherhood.
    To come out a winner in this scenario is to not let it affect your good time.
    My personal experience has been favorable, by far the majority are nice people, who share a mutual respect.

Lil32, hotrodjack33, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

I thought I was the only one who did that.lol. Snowman

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've been known to do the same thing. Sometimes it's who's running it, sometimes it's who shows up......

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

I call them the deep pocket crowd. Buys a huge dollar car pro built and only knows how to put gas in it. They reek of money and let you know it by their actions. Sorry for the rant.

ebs121781, 210superair, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

As more people become involved in the hobby it will bring just as many good as bad and just as many who have their own motives for being there. Be a vendor at a swap meet or even a garage sale and you will really meet all kinds. The problem with some car clubs is many times they are put together not to include people but sometimes to exclude people. Sorry you had to experience that kind of group but I think we have all been there in that position at some point.

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. low down A

low down A

jim and his 100 plus car's? flipper or if he's a builder that is one over achieving busy beaver. i and most car guy's that i know avoid flipper's

Algoma56 likes this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not exactly about jerks at car shows but more about the fact that most car people are good people. Several years ago I ordered some parts from Joe's Antique Auto. The next day Joe called me and told me the credit card he had on file for me was expired and he needed the new expiration date. But he said not to worry because he had already shipped the parts. When I expressed surprise that he shipped the parts before being paid he told me he wasn't worried because old car people were good people. I guess the bottom line is to make sure that you're one of the good ones. JMO

OLSKOOL57, alanp561, nosford and 11 others like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I would say bad attitudes are rampant among all car enthusiast groups, not just hot rodders, but yes, the attitudes are thick among hot rodders, and the worst tend to be club guys. Not all of them, of course, probably the 80/20 rule somebody else posted above. And you see the same attitude at hot rod shops too. This is a phenomenon I just don't understand, but being involved in music for over 40 years I could tell you a lot of stories about musicians and their attitudes. Fucking prima Donna's. You see it in the guys that work at music stores, wtf???? Do you want to sell me something or don't you? Why are you in the business if you're too good, too important to talk to mere peons who aren't as good as you? I see the same thing in gun stores, guys working the counter that act like it's a bother to assist you. If they have to tell you anything about it, oh Jeeez, "just get the eff out of here". You're supposed to be an expert, like they are. If not, they don't have time for you. Motorcycle shops, same thing. I don't know what it is about people, I'm not a psychologist, but it seems like it some kind of defense mechanism for people who are unsure about themselves, so they put up this front, this "cool" character thing that they hide behind. And it happens right here on the HAMB too, even by the moderators. "We don't like new guys around here". Most of you all are super great guys, very helpful, love to talk about cars, but crap, cross the wrong guys on here and you know it.

16. I have experienced something similar but it involved a high profile builder/ vendor and I had just purchased a part from one of his employees at the Knoxville,Tennessee NSRA Nat's South.

He came rushing out of the trailer and jerked the part out of my hand after I had paid for it, I said hold on buddy I just paid for that part and here is the receipt and he raised his voice and said it was a display piece only. he then told his employee to give the me,the asshole his money back.

I left thinking this sawed off high profile builder/vendor had the audacity to call me a asshole and thinking how often does he pull stunts like that, there were several people standing around that witnessed his childish behavior, I never purchased another part from him. HRP

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I personally dislike shows where entrants vote for the cars. It ends up being a popularity contest where a car club dominates the voting, or friends vote for their friends cars.
    There's a few events I love to attend because they're charity events, and the voting is done by the people who are the recipients of the charity. One especially is for a high school automotive shop, so the kids pick cars they like the best. It's always fun to see what the kids like when trophies are handed out. And the students build the trophies in their shop class, so they're not the typical trophy shop crap.

MBog, Lil32, hotrodjack33 and 5 others like this.
  18. RmK57

RmK57

I always leave the show before they start handing out trophies. Don't know whether I've won or lost and really don't care either.

LAROKE, Tman, Driver50x and 7 others like this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gee guys, is that the reason I've never met any of you at a car show I've been at?:(;)

20. These are the people that "know their $hit doesn't stink.":mad: Mine does and boy am I glad I can't smell.:eek:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only go to one car show a year. It's a family event put on by a local church on July 4th. There is something for everyone. In addition to a wide variety of cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and bicycles there are valve cover races, bounce houses for the kids, cackle cars, and an In and Out truck. Oh, and its free to enter and you get a high quality T shirt as well. So given the nature of the event not many A holes but unfortunately there are a few but only a few.

Special Ed likes this.
  22. Are you talking about car guys or guys with cars? There is a big difference.

Car guys live, eat, and breathe cars, and most (not all) have skill enough to build most of their own car and only have to farm out a few things. Every car guy or girl I have meet are good stand up people.

Guys with cars just buy a car, or have someone build them a car. It really pisses me off to hear someone say "We (or more often I) build this" when all they did was write a check.

For them it is just a passing fancy, a way to impress their friends. They might sell the car next week and buy a boat, a race horse, or a Van Gogh painting it's not all consuming.

Guys with cars tend to be snobs and total dickheads.

There are some car guy who have cars built but the first thing they do is give credit to the builder.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  23. I'll agree with that.

24. 34Larry

34Larry

Jim is a complete builder. He is now approaching seventy nine, has been into all types of cars since his early teens and was the local auto shop teacher for years and years even talked the high school into sponsoring a drag car for the shop class. My back yard neighbor, he just finished a '54 Bel Air HT on a
    98 Vette Chassis. Of course that many builds means multiple builds at at time. Yes he builds to sell so he can keep his hobby alive. His builds are from the ground up, not just wash, shine and move it along. I am very picky when it comes to this hobby and while I agree there are some pretty lousy "flippers", I'd gladly drive anything he has built. In fact I told him anytime he wants to trade the newly finished '54 for my three window, hemi '34, it is a go.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. silent rick

silent rick

some people aren't social. i happen to be in the same boat with ryan regarding certain situations. it's not you, it's me.
    i can be socially inept. i'm claustrophobic, i need my space. i've pretty much been called all those things in my signature at the bottom. when asked if i'm really the friend of the devil, i just reply that i know her and leave it at that.

Special Ed and Cosmo49 like this.
  26. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

It happened to me last night at a local cruise night. This guy pulled in with a Deuce roadster that some of the guy's thought was mine, that's how alike it was to mine. I walked over and started the conversation by saying "nice roadster", and got no reply. I then said "I wish my '32 was here so you could see how similar they are", again, no reply. I then asked him what engine was in the car and I finally got an answer, "Chevy" was all he said. I then asked him how he liked the "Bop-Top" and he said "OK". I looked at my wife and she got the hint and we just walked away. What a pompous ass.

27. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I been to a lot of car shows, cruise ins, etc. and for the most part found car owners friendly and more then willing to talk about their cars. Some are more friendly then others probably along the same lines of the general public that don’t own an old car. When I’m at a car event and see something I like I often tell the owner. If the car is not something I like I keep my comments to myself and move along. After all the only one that has to like their car is the owner and my opinion really doesn’t mater. There will always be people that have big dollar budgets to buy/build high end cars and that doesn’t mean they are good or bad people and that’s the same for people who can barely afford to have an old car.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Did they hurt your feelings Larry?
    Are you even sure that the car belonged to anyone in the group?
    How dare these people, not snubbing their friends and break off any conversations they're having to eagerly answer the same questions they get every few minutes from anyone that approaches them.
    What is it?
    How much horsepower does it have?
    Is it fast?
    What year is it?
    Did you buy it new?
    What kind of engine does it have?
    Did your build it?
    What's it worth.
    My (fill in blank) has one just like it only it's a different color, make , model and year.

Did you go up to the group and ask, who owns the "plastic car" or did you just use that terminology in your post as a put down because they ignored you?

seabeecmc and lurker mick like this.
  29. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Too much petty, judgmental sniveling here...
    Life is tuff, when you sweat the small stuff.

30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

As George Carlin once said "It's a big club, and you aren't in it"....