Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big A, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Can someone point me towards a good place to find info about carbs?

I've got a pair of Holley 06H 2-barrel, 4-bolt base carbs, but that's all I know. What are they off of? Are rebuild kits available?

(I have used the search function, I gave also tried Google. Not having a lot of luck)

What's the best way to clean and refurbish these things? They are in pretty good shape, but have been stored for 40 years or so.

I also have a pair of 97s that are pretty rough; complete, but not moving. Should I just soak them down with penetrating oil and dismantle them?

:confused:

2. Terry O

Terry O

Here's the place......

THE CARBURETOR SHOP
    204 EAST 15TH STREET, ELDON, MISSOURI 65026.

TELEPHONE - (573) 392-7378 (8-4 Mon-Wed central time).

TELEFAX - (573) 392-7176 Faxes are incoming only, we cannot answer faxes.

Hope it helps,
    Terry

3. Thanks Terry.

4. They rebuilt the 3x2 set up on my buddies 406 and it was great work.
    They looked like new.
    My two cents.

5. I can't remeber who Tudor used to rebuild the ones for his '32 (it was a HAMBer I think) but they look brand spankin' new.

I'd like to clean these ones up myself, if possible. Really, for the time-being, I just want to know more about them.

6. Dickster27 on the HAMB here - 317-417-3202

I am sure a phone call to Dick would get you your answers! I already told you everything he told me :D

7. Yeah, but I was drunk at the time. :D

8. I've seen a few references to "Evap-o-Rust" for carbs. Can anyone tell me if it's safe to soak the carb body in this stuff?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Your 06H 4-bolts are Lincoln V12 carbs. They are nearly identical to commoner Ford .94's, but have very slightly larger bore (I think 1" even) and use different jets and float settings. Should you want to get rid of these things or switch to 3-bolt 94's, PM Me! Bruce

PS--on rust stuff, if you use it on upper parts of carbs, test with a SHORT dip. Most of these solutions will quickly brighten the zinc, but will eat it away entirel if you soak for a while.

10. Thanks Bruce. When I was searching carbs, your name popped up so I was going to PM you. I still might. These have some history behind them, so I'm thinking I'd like to run them on my shoebox. Am I going to run into a problem finding a flathead intake that will accept these?

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Old flathead intakes for 4-bolt carbs are quite rare--I think Grancor and Offy special ordered ones are all I have seen. I believe Offy can still cast them on special order---no idea what sort of time that would take, but I'd order right now!

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And the stock option--they will fit on '49-51 Merc manifolds (Canadian ones are aluminum) and many Canadian aluminum Ford manifolds have extra ears for four bolt attachment, originally meant to make WWII engines interchange with British built ones using Solex carbs.

13. Damn Big A - can't you use any normal stuff?? I am quite blown away by the above statement!!! Thanks for reminding me BRUCE. I had forgotten the Canadian aluminum early rare 4 bolt manifolds that were on the WWII engines with the extra tab would interchange with the British Solex units. :D

I remember something new every day.

14. Well, special order is definitely not in my snack bracket. I do happen to know a couple of Canadians :D, maybe I'll beat the bushes a bit to see if anyone can come up with a Merc manifold.

Is there such thing as a 3 to 4-bolt adaptor?

15. Us Canuckleheads can't do anything quite normal. :D

16. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I saw some at Rocco and Cheaters. infcact I think Tudor bought some (what a intake whore). not sure of they are the same patterns though.

17. Well, wouldn't that be convenient. Are we doing a road trip to Alabama in September?

18. I put em back :D I bet those would work - but I think the Solex pattern was a might bit tighter than the earlier Canadian Wolf ass pattern. Let me consult my manual and return at a later given time to be unknown.

Intake whore? At least I don't need special intakes with specific nationalality.

19. GIBBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

need i say more!

20. How hard can it be to make an adaptor? Maybe I should be talking to Dennis O'Brien.

21. I see this has turned into an impromptu Sock Fuckers meeting. Doesn't anyone work? :D

Jeff, you wanna have a look at these things some night?

22. sppppfffffffffffffffffffffff

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Most people know the Canadians made flatheads longer than we did. Few know that they finally changed to OHV ONLY because the Y-Block intake was wider than that on the flathead!
    As regulations piled up, the requirement to have all Imperial mil spec numbers, firing order, and part numbers on there in Canadian, English, Inuit, Walrus, and French simply became impossible to fit on the limited flat surfaces of the FH manifold!

24. Now that makes sense :p

25. Big A

Give Holley.com a shot.
    If you root around a bit they got a place you can drop a techy a note and then he ( or she) will get back to you with the scoop.

They also have a bunch of carb info includeing kit numbers here:

http://holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carb Numerical Listing.pdf

26. PnBr, thanks for the link. I had a quick look around earlier, but since I wasn't really sure what I had I wasn't having much luck.

Cheers

27. no problems, when you get back (if you are not already) we'll take a look, just make sure you bring an intake so i can double stack them and make them fall.....hehehe

czuch likes this.
  28. get me a base gasket for each and I'll see what I can whip up.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And kits for this whole family of carbs are generic...get NAPA CRB 25612, and it even has the Lincoln base gasket. Remember Lincoln float setting is different.

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And kits for this whole family of carbs are generic...get NAPA CRB 25612, and it even has the Lincoln base gasket. Remember Lincoln float setting is different. Here's a list of every Ford carb float level on the planet--use spec that gives LOWEST fuel level for your basic setting, that is bigger number at float.
    CG-Ford-Holley AA-1 Float/Fuel Level Information:

Levels from 1939 Holley Service Sheet Form 1030:

Ford float 1 3/8”—1 11/32” (1.3750—1.3437)
    Ford fuel 11/16”
    LZ float 1 5/16”—1 9/32”
    LZ fuel 5/8”
    Fuel level will read about 1/16” over actual in gauge tube. Gauge at 3 lbs. fuel pressure input.

Later specs, 1946 service and fuel manuals, Canadian literature:

Ford float 1.353—1.322”
    LZ add 1/16”

1947 Service Bulletin subject #9000:

All Ford AA’s float 1.322—1.353”
    LZ float 1.260-1.290”
    Fuel level 11/16” + 1/32” at bottom of meniscus in gauge.

Other information:

Recent NAPA-Echlin kit instructions:

AA-1, 2100 float 1 11/32”=1.343
    2110 (secondary venturi), float 1 15/32
    2110 IHC float 1 5/16”

Racer Brown, HRM 11/53, says lower Ford/Holley levels by 1/32”-1/16”, .031-.062”.
    Ken in CT: 1 15/32

7/27/04