Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Car show participants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Sep 7, 2021.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Been debating with myself about this, posting it I mean, decided to find out if any other you have experienced what we observed. A couple of weeks back the local Lyons club, staged it's annual charity car show. It is always a great draw and had almost three hundred enter through the gates. Great cars as expected, great weather, good attendance and it raised good money for their charities.
    A local car club from the biggest city within eight miles, was there, with around eight or ten of their members and their fantastic cars. They had to be there early to get the parking area next to the grass and in doing so, sat their chairs in that grass in a semi circle and commenced to enjoy the sights, Oops on previous spelling :eek: and sound of the cars and people. There was a plastic thirty four Ford coupe, a very nicely done one, and looking it over I asked who's it was. There in, started the rudest lack of responses by any car guys I have ever experienced. As this continued, I and my best car friend, were rudely ignored, and met with what we decided later was a attitude of superiority coming from them. Jim my bud, is very well known in local circles for his some 1oo plus cars and tried engaging them in popular builders and vendors whom they my know in common, with only snubs from the group. Still the snubbing continued, so we left them to enjoy their own company.
    Not much of a membership building group to say the least.
    Just wondering if this behavior is common around the shows of the world or if
    it is not often experienced??

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I usually find friendly car owners when I ask about their car. I don't know anybody who doesn't like to talk about their hot rod.

3. There are jerks in every arena of life, including this hobby of ours. But in general with exceptions, car show people suck.

4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The only people like that i have come across are the trophy hounds, and who needs them!

OLSKOOL57, SS327, alanp561 and 20 others like this.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you asked the question in the manor you expressed to us here (plastic)
    I’d imagine it threw up some red flags in their court.
    If not…. fuck em.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep , they exist - most are not the ones that started the club - but, they use to the affiliation with the club to give themselves status - there is a club in area where I used to live that developed like that - if you go to one of their breakfast get-togethers do not expect anyone to talk to you - so, a group of us "outsiders" started our own club - even let our ladies be involved with club

7. jaracer

jaracer

Not much of a membership building group to say the least.
    Just wondering if this behavior is common around the shows of the world or if
    it is not often experienced??[/QUOTE]
    Like others have mentioned, most owners love talking about their cars. A friend introduced me to the 80-20 theory. I've found it relates to many facets of life. 80% of the people at car shows are good people and willing to discuss their cars. 20% aren't happy giving people and some of them are downright jerks. It's best to avoid the 20% and not let them drag you down to their level.

wackdaddy, clem, Sandgroper and 2 others like this.
  8. Lots of context missing. Were you and Jim talking about the car with comments like "it's plastic" before trying to engage them? Were they talking amongst themselves and you interrupted them? Lot's of scenarios including they just don't want to interact with others or are jerks could be at play here. And not saying Jim is like this but lots of people who throw names out there do so to brag more than have a conversation.

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

In this neck of the woods I see it quite often in the larger events. Be it rods, restored, or British there are a few that set up their thrones and keep to themselves and are not open to simple dialogue. Simply arrogant buggers who think whatever they have is so far above anything else. However, by and large the 80% ^ are people who like to talk as most car people do. So as said earlier ignore the 20%...

10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have spoken to Riddler Award winners, Concours winners, high school kids with just chrome wheels, local car show winners, guys who always win, and guys who never win. Everybody who I ask about the cars will always respond. Their response is what I look for. A few are arrogant and some are really happy to speak to you and also ask what you are driving.
    I just move along and have fun regardless. I get enjoyment from having youngsters sit in the car so parents can take their picture.

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I been going to car shows for a long time,not very often have I met anyone snobby.
    Has been fun meeting new car nuts too, enjoy that every time.
    There are times ,I get asked about something old,I try to make my answer ture an with facts,plus if possible kind!
    But sometimes,they wanted to hear something that fits there own miss read of the 50s n 60s vs how it was< I was there an they had not been born yet. That dose not matter to some. They were fooled at some point,invested in it,so don't want too really know what they asked about! Thankfully it dose not happen often.

LAROKE, ekimneirbo, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  12. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Maybe they were old guys and didn't hear you.

13. Nope, have never come across that at a car show. Usually just the opposite, very friendly and talkative. But then, I live in the South where everyone pretty much is easy going and friendly. Sometimes its hard to get away from a conversation.....

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with @56don, very seldom ran into "rude" car people. Most of the time it's difficult to get them to STOP talking...so I can move on and look at more cars.;):D

15. Wanna find rude car people? Just ask the wrong question on the HAMB....

16. I've learned to just not say anything about cars that I don't like. Just observe and keep the comments mostly to myself, You have to appreciate that at a show it is out and driving (most times maybe)..

As far as the "Winners Circle of Lawn Chairs", just let them have their trophy and move on.

Tman, mgtstumpy, Bob Lowry and 7 others like this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've seen this attitude also, and it's generally among guys with high end cars they simply bought, and had no part in the build, or even input in it. When you talk to them about their cars, and begin to ask simple questions out of curiosity, they get defensive, and clam up. I believe it's not all about being rude, and maybe more about being embarrassed about knowing so little about the car they're driving.
    But I've run into other guys who only bought their nice car, and readily admitted they didn't build it, so didn't know much about it. So it's certainly not all of them. And the majority of guys I talk to at car shows are great about talking cars, and their build, or my build. And that's a big reason I attend, to talk cars, and see what others are doing with theirs.

18. That about sums it up! Thanks Dana. I do no not do alot of car shows with my coupe because I would rather RACE. However i am going to a special 9- 11 Show on Saturday . I will let everybody what transpires on this thread.:):):)

dana barlow likes this.
  19. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

It's been my experience that car owners (almost) always want to talk to someone that appreciates their car. There are rare exceptions. I just move on down the rows and check out all the other nice rides. Life is too short to let other people's attitudes ruin your day.

hotrodjack33, mad mikey, MBog and 5 others like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad for them.

But...

Always good to start off with a compliment if you really want people to talk.

joel, hotrodjack33, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  21. beatcad

beatcad

larry, i promise i'm not calling you a dork, but as i was reading your story i was thinking about this scene from Animal House..

to be serious..i've been to thousands of shows and this kind of behavior is rare

22. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks for your input K13, and your right, lots of content left to the readers imagination.
    No on negative comments on any of their rides before attempting to engage them in meaningful conversation. I have always attempted to keep that kind of "stuff" to my self.
    This coupe was exceptional in deep black with real nice contrasting paint work, and when
    the owner identified himself I complimented the paint and the car, in fact as an aside it was awarded the best hotrod of the meet.

hotrodjack33, Petejoe and K13 like this.
  23. I don't know about all "car guys" being good people, I've met a bunch that are DICKS! And it's directly related to the value or rarity of their car. I think it's hilarious that a person can spend soooooo much money on a car and still get upset when they don't get a $20 trophy. Got one in the shop right now, i didn't paint it originally, but the door is rubbing the fender, and the owner said that the judges at the car show told him that was the reason he didn't win some class or some shit. And he was pissed!

tiredford, trollst, alanp561 and 20 others like this.
  24. BOY, HOWDY!

Ben

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most folks are pleasant but there are a few jerks out there too. Years ago we were at a show and were looking at a nice 40 convert-asked the guy a couple of questions and he ignored us--was in a circle with his club buddies-asshole. Oh well-we finished our 40 convert a couple of months later and attended a show in the area. Parked it and went looking at cars etc. We came back and that jerk and his buddies were all over it! Must say it was a cut above his too. We just walked on by. Came back after getting a coke and here they came-- asked alot of questions as to how we did this and that. The were totally different in their demeanor. Our convert won best of show-he was not happy about that.

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes all kinds. My wife has been to many shows with me and with her own cars as well. She has even been asked to judge at shows too. Some years ago she opened a new Bank and was the new Manager. She set up a car show but the footprint would only accommodate so many cars-maybe 50. We made up flyers and handed out to the folks that we always saw at shows. It was a nice show with coffee and donuts and free lunch etc-no charge-music in the background as well. A couple of gold chainers showed up that we did not invite and had a fit so she sqeezed them in. She had quite a few class trophies made and the VP of the Corp and his Loan officer VP picked the winners-they were not really car folks. It all went great except some of the gold chainers had a fit because they didn't win--oh well huh?

alanp561, fauj, Atwater Mike and 6 others like this.
  27. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I prefer the small shows where it's all mainly daily drivers. The guys and gals are happy to talk about their cars. I find it's the big shows where you get the snobs. Had a few car clubs sitting in fold up chairs cut me when trying to talk so move on and look at other cars. I just think it's their loss not mine.

28. Our car show over the weekend was a little different snob - the shade hounds. These guys parked their chairs - two of them - right in the middle of the road of the parking lot just around a corner spot with shade. As I round the corner I spy my buddies ride in the second spot of shade with the first spot open. I spy my buddies waking in the road down about 7 or 8 spaces so I eased by these two idiots - they never budged and stop by mu buddies to say hey and ask about the first space in the shade. After speaking I back down to that first spot easing by the guys in the road to pull in the spot - which is a back to back spot and as I pull in the guy that had parked his car in the front spot was in a chair behind his car in the vacant spot just a little AND NEVER MOVED as I got in the spot between him and the guys in the road who never moved as much as I tried to back into them !
    The guy in the spot behind his car - under his breath - said some thing about my uncle's truck's California plates and I quickly explained I had been coming to this show for over 30 yrs and he kinda bit lip and moved !
    There was shade all over that corner on the grass under the trees for many folks - so not sure why the pissy people.
    In the end we had the guys in the road over at our space in the shade with plenty of chairs and tailgates for all !

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In a way it is good that this bothers you. If not, you would be a lesser of a man.

fauj, hotrodjack33 and Sandgroper like this.
  30. aircap

aircap

It takes all kinds... Club members, lone wolves, casual attendee. Just enjoy yourself as best as you can.

I do remember once at a Starbird show here in Doodah, some kid with a stock ricer blew a gasket because his car had over $20,000 in stereo gear installed and didn't win a trophy. I told him it was a car show, not a concert.

LAROKE, Woogeroo, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.