Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Was he BSing us?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodiewagon46, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Boiled linseed oil as an oxygen scavenger. As a quick hijack/digression, we all know how linseed-ed shop rags are a no-no in waste/trash cans. They are subject to spontaneous combustion. My friend escaped death in a methylated spirits spill fire yesterday (knocked a bottle onto a glass-bar electric floor heater). Splashed his feet. Blister burns to both feet & ankles. Ready extinguisher saved him. Please excuse my rant, please delete if policy.

Back to normal transmission..

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  2. patterg2003

patterg2003

Agreed. Always good to bring safety to the fore front. We used some boiled linseed oil in the fuselage tubes as an oxygen scavenger anti-corrosion measure. We were forewarned so the rags used to wipe up any linseed went straight into the shop's wood stove. Its another one of those things that people use that can unknowingly bring serious harm.

Mark Hinds likes this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I built a car trailer with square tubing . used it as an air tank for tires.

alanp561 and Special Ed like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

With the amount of water in air, I wouldn't expect that tubing to hold up more then 3-4 years before they either split because the water froze, or rust out from the moisture.

5. Worked as a manufacturing engineer at a couple different semiconductor manufacturing companies and helium leak detection is how we tested all the welded Kovar enclosures from the assembly line.

6. birdman1

birdman1

I don't need any pressure test for my welds, pin holes all over.

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

A while back I needed to reduce a line from 3/8 to 5/16. They fit together well, so I soldered them together to get the reduction I needed. I wanted to test it for leaks, so I made a couple adaptors to put air in different size lines and a guage to monitor them. I had one about 18" long that I pumped up to about 100 lbs and let it sit for months and it still showed about 90 psi. It works great for testing a fuel line before installing it and having to deal with a fuel leak. When I built a copper pipe heat exchanger for my paint booth, I had a bunch of soldered joints. Tested it the same way and fixed my leaks before I installed it. All you need to do is fashion some type of adapter for whatever you want to check and just add air...........
    IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    Paint 7 Separator.JPG

Yep, testing things before you install them is the best way;)

Personally, I just use compressed air.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I got a bright idea to use a similar method using air pressure to find a vacuum leak on a 440. I plumbed a plate with a bung, bolted it in place of the carb, and applied a little pressure. I don't remember if it showed a leak or not, but when I took it off the intake was completely full of coolant. I had photos, but it's pretty unlikely I could find them.

Big block mopar intakes are dry so I have no idea how that happened. I changed the heads out because the only way I could see coolant getting in the intake was a crack in the head.

Found it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Mart, Hnstray and Fitty Toomuch like this.