Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do You Know How a Motor Works?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Do You Know How a Motor Works?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thanks! Enjoyed the whole video. Now to find a 1965 hop up video.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Based on the title I thought this was going to be a version of a class my son would have taken in his schooling to become an electrician. :D:D

67drake, wvenfield, Jibs and 8 others like this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

Yeah just like @blowby always says, "Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow"! ;)

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The phrase "move along, nothing to see here" would seem appropriate, this will turn into another horse beating thread in no time.

MBog, Driver50x and Blue One like this.
  6. 5window

5window

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:) Are you insinuating that I was trying to start something, or maybe I should say switch something on ? :D:D
    Would I do something like that ? :D

pitman and loudbang like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Cool video!... Thanks... ;)

9. A Boner

A Boner

Yes, very efficient...just ask Elon.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Not sure you even need to know. Many years ago a guy known as one of the best mechanics in town called our shop with a problem, I heard the boss's end of the conversation and it was plain the guy did not know what made an engine run. I was never more surprised in my life. This guy got all the expensive imports to fix, if you had a Mercedes, Audi, Volvo etc in our town, and had plenty of dough, this is the guy you had work on your car. He had a reputation as a mechanical genius.
    I found out the reason for this. If you brought your car in because it wouldn't start you got a new battery, battery cables, new starter, alternator, and complete major tuneup and all parts came from the dealer, no aftermarket. The bill might be $2000 but by God and by Jesus your car would start without fail, red hot or stone cold, for the next 5 years. His customers loved him. Maybe they only needed a $15 fan belt but they were happy the problem was solved and it didn't come back.

Beanscoot, MBog, Driver50x and 2 others like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a great teaching aid. The autoshop I taught in had a batch of old Mopar videos and slide shows that I used a lot as teaching aids. Out of the 50's and a bit corny but just as this video in very basic and straight forward language and presentation that didn't assume that the viewer knew anything about the subject.
    Now we get a lot of guys coming into the hobby who have never taken a shop class nor actually worked on a car much until they start building a hot rod. They never had these basics and can use them.

Driver50x likes this.
  12. Good, easy to understand film. If you strip the throttle bodies, injectors, balance shafts, etc. off a new motor, they all still work like this. We were talking about this at my club a while back. The majority of members took their car to "their mechanic".
    "Their mechanic" throws countless new parts (and dollars) at a problem until they finally fixed it. I have diagnosed some dumb, simple faults that "their mechanic" could not find. Stuff like bad condensors, water pumps that don't pump, that kind of basic stuff.
    " Their mechanics " work like this - If you have a bad tail light bulb, start at the front bumper, replace it with a new one, and keep replacing parts until the fault goes. Eventually you will win.

13. So thankful that dad tore one down with me when I was 12. He made sure I "got it".
    Then cars were all I cared about!

Driver50x likes this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The Revell plastic modal V8,seemed fun,I was always going to buy one,an never did ! [​IMG]

The37Kid, pitman, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had one of those, got it for Christmas when I was around 12 years old. Learned a lot from it.

loudbang, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I have known how motors work since I was about 10 years old. There used to be some good, grade school level books in the school library that explained it very well. Now 50 years later after wrenching and racing, restoring and hot rodding my whole life, I still am learning more. Reading books by Reher-Morrison and David Vizard really serve to broaden my understanding. And I'm still a dummy compared to some.

pitman, dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  17. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Christmas isnt far off , these are a good learning took for Kids (or big kids) I have a 6 cylinder might have to get the V8 (and if you want to see one go "BANG" search "VS Haynes V8 Model Engine Catastrophic Failure" on the youtube thing.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=visible+v8+model&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

dana barlow likes this.
  18. Blake 27

Blake 27

Of course I know, you turn that key thing, push the petal on the right, and the motor goes VAROOM!

Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

You could find those new on eBay for about 50 bucks... Revell still has those....;)

dana barlow likes this.
  20. No, that's why I'm here.

Paul and Hemi Joel like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got one of these for Christmas when I was a kid. It was probably the ONLY engine I ever built that worked exactly like it was supposed to:mad:.

dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

I built one when I was 13-14.... Think I blew it up with a couple of M-80s....:eek::rolleyes:

5window likes this.
  23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hmm, I'd hope by now most everyone here would know these facts.

Another interesting video would be, is how a "motor" works. Both with brushes AND brushless. But I'd guess, the brushless "motor", may be too new for this board

Mike

Blue One likes this.
  24. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Yes, yes, I understand the different terminology between an 'engine' and a 'motor'... BUT writing an article, it's helpful to have more than one word to describe your subject. I think we've all heard lyrics like 'Get your motor running' and knew they weren't talking about a Tesla...

Driver50x, dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Roughly about the same time I was given a “primer” in 4 cycle engines. My 6th grade teacher, Mr Switzer, I don’t recall why but he drew it up on the chalkboard going through intake, compression, etc.
    He could kick a football a country mile too, dress slacks and shoes to boot!

Driver50x and Hemi Joel like this.
  26. Built one last Christmas with my son.
    20210903_105639.jpg

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice and looks good however :D
    that doesn’t look much like a SBC or any other traditional V8 ;):D

dana barlow likes this.
  28. wvenfield

wvenfield

This one appears to be based off a reverse flow Pontiac.

Deuces likes this.
  29. Yeah they don't even pretend it's anything specific just call it a V8. Its Haynes, the manual company, that is doing them now.

dana barlow, Deuces and Blue One like this.
  30. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have this 2 stroke moped in the garage and haven't a clue.

Deuces likes this.