Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Element Fire Extinguisher - who said there is nothing new under the sun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 6, 2021.

1. I remember this from last spring and telling myself that I was going to get one........
    ....and then forgetting to follow up. :eek: :cool:
    I'm doin' the deed today!! Pinky swear. :rolleyes:

The Magic Ratchet and Budget36 like this.
  2. FWIW, this is a Potassium Nitrate extinguisher. There are also other manufactures that produce/sell these type of fire extinguishers, too, which may or may not be found for less cost depending upon where you live and how good your Googlefoo is.
    • Element
    • Extinguish Stick
    • Fire Safety Stick
    • ...and probably others

3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Ironically potassium nitrate (saltpeter) is one of the three ingredients in black gunpowder.

Tman and loudbang like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-1_3-53-35.png

Hello,

These new fire extinguishers are wonderful for all that they do for us. Hopefully, we will never have to use them anywhere. We have been using small metal cannister fire extinguishers since we had our accident in our 1940 Willys Coupe at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1960. We know the devastating effect and damage that gas fueled fire can cause. We must have used 5-6 giant extinguishers that late night, but the fire kept going.

The other racers came with their bottles and the whole area looked like a red can salvage yard. The fire just burned itself out while the Willys was wedged into the chain link fence. Our friend and crew master, Atts Ono, stayed with our burning Willys well after the while Lion’s Dragstrip was closed and the spectators were gone.

The power of the fire(s) can be tremendous and it is disheartening to use a fire extinguisher to try and quell any fire, without positive results. So, any advantage is welcome. One advantage of the new system is that there is no residue after usage. That in itself is a positive outcome for a negative situation.

According to my brother, any fire extinguisher in a strap within the Willys cab is/was great. But access to the lift off strap while trying to maintain a slowdown and steering was so hectic, during the effort to stop the burning fire . He had no choice other than open the door and jump out, going around 60 MPH. (other race crews on the return road witnessed the event and speed.)

Later, he told me that the metal strap was jamming and he could not get the bottle out. When I told him the number of bottles we used before I got to him back at the ambulance, he said that the one we had in the cab next to the seats was worthless for the time it took.

Jnaki

In all of the time since our hot rod/drag racing builds began in 1956, we have never used a home fire extinguisher, although we did have a small red bottle strapped to the accessible wall frame of our backyard garage. That is until the multiple bottle action at Lion’s Dragstrip in August of 1960. In our days of the Flathead sedan delivery, and on to ten years later with our 327 powered sedan delivery, there was never a cause for using a fire extinguisher.

Although, in our last three homes since 1970, we had a small red bottle attached to an accessible wall in the garage. In one home, the house had a built in fire extinguisher sprinklers in the three car garage, hooked up to a Star Trek wall/light system to show how each one was active or needed some action. It was one thing I did not like about having a fire with a home and sprinkler system, but, this unit sensed where it was needed and only sprayed that place to put out any fires. We never tested the system or had the need to use it.

In our current 25 year old home, there is a red bottle attached to a garage wall, but there is also a similar fire suppression system built in to the ceiling. We have never used the fire extinguisher or ever want to use one. But, we did replace the old one for a new one several years ago. The extinguisher is there, but the need never arose. And hopefully never will.
    upload_2021-9-1_3-57-34.png
    For the last month, to appease our insurance policy about living in a fire zone, we bought a new Element Fire Extinguisher. Now, even my wife can safely use it when necessary. Although, it hasn’t been necessary to use any extinguisher since 1960. 61 years of preparedness, but never the need. Yes!!!
    upload_2021-9-1_3-58-21.png
    The supplied wall mount is secure, but the Element unit comes right out with a firm grip. My wife knows where it is located along all other emergency tools and shut off items. When she saw the slim tube, and the procedure was shown to her, she said, “No Problem.”
    upload_2021-9-1_3-59-6.png
    Here is the Element Fire Extinguisher next to all of the other house/car emergency tools. The street side whole house water shut off, the gas line shut off tool and the water heater information for emergencies, too. Also, the ever present short surfboard resting nicely in its padded board bag. It is the emergency center of our garage. If anyone other than my wife needs access to any of the emergency tools or the extinguishers, we just say: “It is next to the surfboard in the garage.”
    upload_2021-9-1_4-0-5.png
    upload_2021-9-1_4-0-21.png upload_2021-9-1_4-0-36.png
    Fights all major fire classes, including cooking oil and grease fires.
    E 50 extinguisher with high visibility striker and cap
    One mounting clip included
    Puts out a wastebasket fire and one on a desk... July 2020

Okay, so it's far more compact, covers all of the necessary classes and is easily mounted or secured just about anywhere, but I've left out one of the best parts: it doesn't require any sort of servicing. Unlike those old-style canisters, the Element extinguisher is 100-percent maintenance free.

Also, it leaves no residue… which is big time. Our 671 SBC motor and interior of the Willys Coupe looked like a black and white photo. Black from the burn and white from the chemical compound in the red steel bottles. It took a while to get everything cleaned up for a listed advertisement for the parts and had to have the interior clean to take to the scrap yard on a flat bed trailer. Spray wash hoses did a great job, but if a regular bottle is used in the garage, good luck in cleaning up the residue.

Here is hoping for the next 60 years, there is not a situation where we will need the extinguishers. Ever!

catdad49, lurker mick, hfh and 3 others like this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

With a number of makers selling similar fire sticks, the options can be much cheaper now. My only concern is how close you have to get holding the short sticks near a gasoline fueled fire. I think I'll get a few, but I also think I'll make up some short handle extensions to keep with them so once fired off I can insert it in a 2 ft. handle to allow me to stay back a bit further.

Lepus, LOST ANGEL and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. Wish I would have seen this earlier. I had a small engine fire recently and the halon was an incredible mess! I'm glad it didn't burn down of course, but man it got everywhere and I'm still cleaning it up. Every greasy area on the engine is now tinted light yellow.

7. 73RR

73RR

Maybe duplicate the mounting bracket and attach to something like a telescoping pole.

8. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Seems to work a lot like the old glass globes filled with carbon tetrachloride.

Tman likes this.
  10. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume you mean the dry chemical product rather than halon? Halon, which I’m not sure we can buy anymore, is an inert gas that has no residue. Dry chemical extinguishers do make one heck of a mess.

John

loudbang, Dan Hay and HemiDeuce like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Took the plunge and bought 3. Looks like you just pull the end caps off and strike the top with the bottom cap. Has anyone pulled the caps off? Seem to be stuck on there pretty tight, do they just pull off?

Don't want to be standing at a fire trying to figure it out.

loudbang, Bill's Auto Works and Tman like this.
  12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I watched a few videos and I think I'll pass actually. You have to get too close to the fire to do you much good.

Watch this:

The classic Extinguisher does a hugely better job. I've had to put out an engine fire on a boat, not a car yet thank God, but it gets damn hot damn fast. This guy literally has to place that thing inches from the fire to finally get it out with the element.

No thanks.

13. Yeah, that looks pretty weak

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Element is not NHRA certified. Wonder why? Anybody know?..........

Nicholas Coe likes this.