Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mandrel U-bend layout and cutting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magna.machine.works, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Hey everyone. I have a bit of a different way from the normal on how to lay out and cut mandrel u-bends. I realize there are many different ways of doing this, but I find this the cleanest and easiest way for me to do it. Please enjoy

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks for the tips

Deuces and magna.machine.works like this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be fabricating the exhaust soon and will definitely be using some of your info. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Deuces and magna.machine.works like this.
  4. Never thought of using a tie wrap to get a straight cut on a bend, thanks man

5. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

i have allways traced them on cardboard and cut em out ,, works every time
    lay it back on the pipe and mark your cuts ,,, really helps you visualize it ., yes ziptie for marking your on your bends ,, on straits i learned a trick from my dad decades ago,, use 1 1/2 " tape wrap it around the pipe once sticky side out ,, then you can place the pipe where you want and slide the tape tube up the pipe to make your mark and stick it in position with a lil more tape ,, believe me it's way more accurate than a tape measure ,, and end angle adjustments can me made with avation snips easily ,,
    smiles for miles
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

reagen likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I like seeing how the other guy does things, there is always something to take away.
    I'll have to try the zip tie idea.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I like the zip tie idea. As for the clamps, I have my own system using stainless hose clamps with 3 holes drilled. Thanks for posting. Header building 1.JPG Header building 2.JPG

deuceman32, akoutlaw, XXL__ and 28 others like this.
  8. OOOHHH I like the clamps!!!! That is a really cool idea and cheap! nicely done!

deuceman32, akoutlaw, fauj and 3 others like this.
  9. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to watch the video and comment! I truly appreciate the feedback and how well this was recepted!

10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Exhaust is one thing that I have left. Thanks for the tips. Never thought to use a zip tie. Way easier than trying to tape straight. Marty great tip on clamps. I have a bunch of those hose clamps...

11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

husseyrj did a tech week exhaust method on the HAMB once and it's the best method I have used and liked many times. But this is another method so it will work also.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now all you need is a step drill, the HF ones work and last great ! Good luck on your system.

13. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That right there is the cat's pajamas! Excellent post guys.

14. Here is a link to that thread https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...g-and-routing-exhaust-mandrel-u-bends.993838/ it is definitely worth the read. It goes into much more detail about how to find and measure the angles you need. I have not tried this method, I am willing to try it when I get a bandsaw. Thank you for suggesting this thread.

chevyfordman likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently built my SS tail pipes for my roadster using mandrel bends and the hose clamp method with my table mounted band saw. Worked pretty good. I did the welding with my MIG with SS wire and a tri mix gas. That portion of the project needed a bit more more practice.

magna.machine.works likes this.
  16. That is awesome! I definitely think it is one of the things that you get better at the more you do it, nice work!

reagen likes this.
  17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have always used an old tape measure to get my lines straight around round tubing. I've got a junk piece about 12" long, and wrap the tubing so it overlaps itself. It self aligns when you wrap the tubing, and overlap the tape measure ends.
    I use those clamps he uses for radiator hoses. I have to order them online as none of the parts stores carry them. But they seal better than any hose clamp, and look nicer installed too. Never thought about using them for exhaust welding, but I'll have to order some bigger ones, as most exhaust work I do is 2.5" tubes.

18. I like the old tape measure idea, it would wrap around on its own. Great ideas everyone!

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

20. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks for the video, that fleetline is sick as well.

21. Thank you! Appreciate it!