Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 9 inch ford rear

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coolieman, Aug 30, 2021.

1. coolieman

coolieman

I have a brand new 9 inch center section 350 posi traction 28 spline . Bought from one of the big speed shop suppliers. I have put about 300 miles easy driving haven't got on it hard been taking it easy. Slight whine around town just started going out on the highway from 40 mph to 70 mph whineing louder has bad harmonic sound . I called them and they said drive it another 300 miles if it didn't go away I could send it back they would look at it. I video taped sound with my tablet . Would anyone be willing to listen to it and give me there option . I know its not right but I am scared to send it back and have them say they couldn't find anything wrong, by the way I am 74 years and don't know how many times I can pull this pumpkin out thanks,mike I can e- mail video

Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Can you post the video here?

3. squirrel

squirrel

Did you replace a different center section, that was not making noise? or is this a new build?

4. What’s your drive line angle ?
    Drive shaft in good shape u joints etc ?

try bolting your drive shaft up differently , flip the you joint the way it’s bolted to the flange ( hope this makes sense) I got rid of a few noises and vibrations this way.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.

5. coolieman

coolieman

I had tractor puller guy set up rear whined way to much , I TOOK IT OUT TRYING TO SET BACKLASH,GEAR PATTERN, MADE IT WORSE GOT PISSED AND BOUGHT BRAND NEW CENTER SECTION$ 1,000,00 I UNDERSTAND
    TH GASEY WHINE BUT NOT LIKE THIS, CANT THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE WOULD MAKE NOISE I CAN'T GET VIDIO LOADED NOISE STOPS WHEN LET OFF GAS

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have purchased many 9 inch posi centers from Speedway as their price was friendlier than John's. I've had 1 screamer out of the bunch and when Dave was the sales manager they sent another center N/C and paid the return freight on the original center. Things have changed.

Deuces, rod1 and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

So....it's always made noise. That makes it a bit more difficult to diagnose, especially without hearing it.

Usually when we need to get video on here, what we do is upload the video to youtube. Then copy the link to the video, and post the link here. Then everyone can see it.

If you can't figure out how to do that, see if you can find someone young to help you? Seems to be easier for youngsters to learn how to do things on computers.

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If the noise stops after you get off the gas, it is more than likely the pinion and ring gears was not set up right.
    If it was a rear end that I set up I would remove the pinion and add a couple of thousands to the shim pack and see if it helps. Listen to the sound and adjust from there. That keeps you from having to remove the axles and brakes and things. But it could be the setting of the ring gear, also, which would make it necessary to pull the third member.
    Now any of this would probably void any warranty you have on your third member.

Bones

9. coolieman

coolieman

10. coolieman

coolieman

While I am trying to figure out how to send video my main concern is if I send it back they can look at it and see whats wrong, the video would help but I don't know if they would listen to it wanted you guys to listen I'm still trying to get it sent, also has anyone heard of a wineing rear making harmonic at higher speeds could I have 2 problems

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Usually driveline vibration, due to U joint angles, is what causes harmonics at highway speeds.

That's why I asked if it's a new problem, or not.

VANDENPLAS and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. I agree with boneyard51, and suspect since the noise has been there since day 1, that the rear was not set up correctly. 3.50 ratio is semi-hunting, and the gears indexed when they were lapped during production. Not assembling it with the timing marks indexed would cause a whine. If you want to drive the car over my way, I can listen to it.
    Check your u-joints and u joint angles first.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It usually takes a little speed to make a rear end whine and it will/can change a little at different speeds. They will usually make more noise as speed increases….but not always.

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Probably not set up right. These big speed shops farm that stuff out to some incompetent morons that no nothing about setting up a rear. They are rolling the dice that you won’t complain. Same with store bought transmissions. Then they will ask you something stupid like what kind of oil you used. Try to blame the installer. Ask me how I really feel! Lol. Need to do it yourself or find someone that knows their stuff to do it for you. Unless it was a reputable rear end manufacturer I wouldn’t buy a over the counter engine, rear or trans.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Rand Man

Rand Man

Are you sure it’s not a wheel bearing making the noise?

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

You sure you don't have a quick change?

beater32 likes this.
  17. jaracer

jaracer

Ring and pinion noise is usually speed sensitive. It can be on pull or coast, but not normally on float. You can almost use your throttle to play a song. My motorhome has a noise on coast from about 50 to 35. It's not bad and it's just a noise. The rear end will probably last longer than me.

I've said this before, but if you have a noisy ring and pinion it's not likely you can adjust it out completely. What I have found is that you just change the speed at which it makes noise. Ford had a problem with gear cases in the mid 70's. I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer and we did a lot of 9 inch rear ends under warranty. For noisy gear sets Ford wanted you to remove it, run a tooth pattern and re-adjust it. After going through that you could order a new ring and pinion which was the normal fix.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Throw some sawdust in there!

19. rtp

rtp

No stuff it full of bananas!

20. coolieman

coolieman

I am zeroing in on noise , I am not paying attention to whine just trying to diagnose racket in drive line, put car up on jack stands set at ride hight put car in gear 45 mph got underneath with hose rattling up down driveshaft seems louder at both ends watched shaft dosen't seem to be out of balance no noise at tail shaft 350 trans starts behind u joint goes down driveshaft to rear I can't isolate noise in rear alot of stuff going on under there, would rear end noise travel up down driveshaft new joints brand new center section

21. silent rick

silent rick

are the u joints in phase? enough movement in the slip yoke?

22. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Yes the rear end noise will travel up the driveshaft.

23. When I had my '57 rear redone with trac-loc, I had a whine going around corners. never drove it much until I talked with Yukon and they told me the noise was due to the synthetic oil I used, lol, the high dollar stuff. I changed to conventional and it's been quiet ever since....53,000 miles later

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  24. What's the dealer say?

25. coolieman

coolieman

Yes/yes
    At first i was worried about the whine they said drive it 200/300 more miles and see what happens i could send it back and they would look at it , since i have gotten under car and listened to it in real time i am totally confused i don't see i can isolate noise with it running up and down driveshaft will pull shaft back out and check u joints

26. Please post what you find or how it was fixed.

27. coolieman

coolieman

I requested a refund and I am sending it back