Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No Radial Tires?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PhredH, Aug 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When questions like this come up I like to think "what would Smokey do?"

2. No, they may have been in existence a long time, but were not commonly used or as we look back, traditionally used in the time period relevant to the HAMB, or in the period as specified by TROG rule makers.

Stogy and jimmy six like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Every single one of my old cars have suspensions designed for use with bias ply tires. All of them have bias ply tires on them and they drive great. Smooth as a gravy sandwich at 75 mph, from all the bitching I hear about bias ply tires I must be the only person in history to never have a problem with them. Radials suck

Texas36, F-ONE, Paul and 12 others like this.
  4. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

as posted and also as I have heard over many years that radials were introduced in the late 40s. Superior handling and much longer life (as long as they did not deconstruct.)

i’d rather take my chances with bias ply on a fender car.
    I speak with experience with 40 years of driving big trucks. The fucking steel belt of a radial can do one hell of a lot of damage.
    in my experience even absolutely premium radials are subject to failure too... sometimes with fender damage.
    A bias tire failure is 99% a hassle… but with usually no damage to the fender.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Guy Patterson and Stogy like this.
  5. Polyglass tires were just the best wearing and riding tires that came about - but the tire manufactures couldn't have that.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anarchy is a society being freely constituted without authorities or a governing body.

When you don't have rules, you have chaos.

7. Chaos is the mythological void state preceding the creation of the universe. (Ancient Greek mythology)

pitman and Deuces like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And exactly where we will return if we allow radial tires.

Maicobreako, alanp561 and chevy57dude like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20200923_022117.jpg

:rolleyes:...Radials already get a pass here in the Hokey Ass Forum...where they should be as they are not Traditional regardless of when they appeared...events such as Trog are period specific and they have their guidelines...

I will say I'm glad they are seemingly working hard at producing them in a manner where they are passable on a vintage vehicle as the generic radials are kinda icky...

That's why they are doing it too, to capture the Bias crowd, But mainly the market share of course...

...and truly they have a ways to go to mimic the real deal...but they caught Moriarty off guard the other day...:confused:...THAT doesn't happen very often...:D

I was driving the other day on some newly paved less than highway grade asphalt the other day and the Bias sure acted strange on it...but it's part of the ambience of the big picture...I'll live with them, warts and all...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

11. ^Those are pretty.

Elcohaulic, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  12. Best thing I've read lately!

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...hee hee heeee...:p

pitman and chevy57dude like this.
  15. Truckedup

Truckedup

I was involved with vintage GM trucks for many years... Most of the guys drove their trucks quite often on longer trips ..To the man, everyone who switched to radials was impressed with the improvement in ride, handling and not following every crack in the pavement. Many of the trucks were modified but retained a somewhat stock appearance so the tires did not stand out like on a fender less car.... I understand the vintage look of bias tires...I also see that what's so called" period correct" is very subjective...

loudbang and 5window like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I never really thought I was nerdy. But maybe I am :D
    If nerdy means driving my RPU at any speed from crawling out of the driveway to wide open with no drama from bumps or grooves or anything else then I guess I’m a happy nerd :cool::D:D
    6379EB2E-8B51-4FC5-8305-35FD37773B2A.jpeg 19194EA1-BA77-4449-879E-97470C002E7B.jpeg 77160A0B-833B-46F4-B4D2-587B725B99AC.jpeg 5747F5BC-75FC-445D-9CF9-ADCE1145B58A.jpeg C5949299-DAFA-421D-934D-931A23AF3047.jpeg

17. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have had once radial tires under my hot rod (2012-2014)
    UK made vintage circle track 16" radials.
    Before and after that only bias ply. All rods easy drive, bias ply tires looks good. I can tell you that our roads here in Finland are not "california quality". Much worse. Here pic of those new UK made "racing" tires:

roadster-20.jpg .

18. adam401

adam401

One thing I know for sure is the HAMB can't go very long between radial vs bias ply threads. Anyone up for a 4 doors arent lame thread?

210superair, slim38, alanp561 and 7 others like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I just wonder if these will last for another 5000 mile trip?

tires 20210829.jpg

Black_Sheep, Deuces, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  20. With as little as the average guy drives an old car, bias ply would be the best choice.
    All the threads about radial tire age and blowing apart. The “my tires only have 1000 miles on them and they just blew apart”could be solved with an old technology tire.
    I bought a low mile 1962 military jeep Has tires from 1962. holding air. Now I’m not gonna drive em down the highway but at least it has a good set of rollers. I’d run em offroad all day.
    All the old beaters I have with radials as rollers, the tires are blown apart.

F-ONE, Beanscoot, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Only if it mentions Pertronix

Chief 64, SR100, Driver50x and 5 others like this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its pretty lame for this forum to argue over tires when restorations of stock cars from the 60s are allowed, International trucks are allowed. 1950s Dodge trucks and 1963 International Scout, too.
    None of that is traditional hotrod

Tman, SR100, X38 and 3 others like this.
  23. Truckedup

Truckedup

I wouldn't use them tires on a golf cart. :D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. Yup, we should all drive black pre war fords with flatheads. That would be interesting.

25. I see that as rebel from the society.

Better example of wearing tennis shoes with a tuxedo.

Stogy likes this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

N50s baby! Not trad, but bias.

Hey, get away from that tire mutt!

20210829_082428.jpg

Guy Patterson, Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  27. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I'm sure in my old Car Craft or Rod and Custom magazines there were Kustom roadsters and T-buckets some had silly narrow tires on motorcycle spoked wheels, like the rail dragsters.

I'm almost as sure a few of them had (Michelin) radial up front. Low rolling resistance would have been a semi-valid performance advantage.

Just sayin' >

dirty old man, Ned Ludd and Deuces like this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

Que sera sera!

Guy Patterson likes this.
  29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a question: are no-radial rules imposed in non-time trail events, like shows or tours? If they only apply to timed events, that implies a performance aspect to the requirement.

Depending on the surface the cars are running on, radials can have a small performance advantage. It may be negligable, but in a competitive environment people will freak out over just the perception of unfairness.

Stogy likes this.
  30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.