Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preparing For The Future

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 11, 2021.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Bonnie and go to a restaurant and have a nice meal, we leave a tip for the good service...I'm sure most of you do as well. Waitress/waiters are not payed much and depend on tips to survive.

I look at an Alliance Membership the same way. Our Alliance Memberships are a "tip" to @Ryan for providing a good service and product (and He's not paid at all).

And, a $50 per year "tip" isn't much considering how much knowledge, history, comradery and just plain fun Ryan's service and product provides.

Think about it...do you want to be know as one of those guy that DOESN"T LEAVE A TIP?:eek:

D type, fauj, Chicster and 5 others like this.
  2. twenty8

twenty8

Aww man, that's the last one. I gotta stop makin' stupid bets..............:oops:
    I do like it here though. Thanks.

3. I just went and looked. I am a member of 29 social groups and probably only visited a handful of them more than once. There were even a couple I started that I forgot about! At one point Rockstars was pretty active as well as the Sodak and Wyoming groups. I can see how folks found them selves orphaned and hid out in them.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. twenty8

twenty8

Check the classified section. He may put it up for sale. It's a beauty, even if I do say so myself...............;)
    And, technically, it's from 1965 or before.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  5. ......TMI man, TMI!:eek:..:D

6. atch

atch

Ryan,

I'm in 8 social groups. One is pretty active almost daily. Two I recently made a response in regarding the groups going away someday. One of these I started (not the active one).

Excepting my recent responses 7 of the groups haven't had a new response or post in several years.

I see no reason for you to expend energy, time, or money to keep these things going. If they disappear it really won't be much of a loss. And if it takes any load off of you that will free you up somewhat to keep the original intent alive and vibrant.

b-t-w; thanx for all you do and for providing this resource to us.

7. Ryan............ Thanks for the above...you are much appreciated.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  8. Guys, the contents and member knowledge available at the '52-'59 Ford Social Group are priceless and represent by far the main resource of know-how that allows me (and I risk to say, many others) to keep these cars in road-worth running condition. Mix that with a group of people that have always shown good-will and a genuine interest in helping, and you'll get why it must not be deleted.
    Thank you all.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  9. 5window

5window

It's probably rusted from exposure and lack of use. Better soak it first in PB Blaster. :)

twenty8 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I hate how the vocal minority has too dictate the direction of the Majority on the HAMB best policy is too streamline the process it’s just business.
    If a certain section was underperforming you got too cut it loose or it will drag you down.
    Just like today’s society the crybabies win out !

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

C'mon, man ...
    There aren't any 'sides' here. There isn't a single person reading this thread that doesn't want to see the HAMB continuing it's success. Trust Ryan and his instincts. He hasn't ever let you down, has he?

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There are no sides. There are people with differing needs and priorities. I think society today has created this atmosphere where "I am right" and everybody else is "wrong."

Fuck that... I'm not into arguing. I'm into getting shit done and having fun. No one brings me down. :)

13. 5window

5window

There is nothing wrong with a vocal minority. The entire HAMB is a vocal minority. I'd like just one person to calmly say "This is what I believe and why it is important to me. That's who to listen to.

14. I joined here about nine years ago and looked around the main board for a while. I am impressed by the work that so many here are doing, and by their willingnes to share their knowledge. There is so much information available that I am overwhelmed. I picked up a car and some parts from the clasified section along the way. Eventually I stumbled onto the 52 to 59 Ford social group. After that, I mostly stuck around in that social group since it has so much information directly related to my 55 Customline project. There is a lot of information there that I didn't know I needed to know!

Somewhere along the line it was decieded that there was a place on the HAMB for social groups. Some of those groups grew, and some faded away. I think those speaking up in favor of preserving any segment of the HAMB see the value of this forum. Some favor the main board. Some favor a particular social group within the HAMB. Some are active across many segments of the HAMB as well as other social forums. There is something common that brought us all here, and we all want to see this forum thrive! I 'm sure the administrators will sort through all of this and do what is best for our members overall.

I understand that other vehicle related forums are available to cover things outside the established scope of the HAMB. I visit those forums as well, but for my purposes, the HAMB is the best! I don't deliberately avoid the main board of the HAMB, and I never thought of the social group as a way to sneak around the main board. I value my social group because it is so much easier to find and share specific information in a focused social group than to search through all of the information on the main board. I can justify taking time to read each post in the 52 to 59 Ford social group. If I don't need that information now, I'll probably need to know it later on. Now if I could only remember more of what I read!

Anyway, I would never get away from the computer to do anything else if I tried to read even half of what is posted on the main board. What a great problem to have - too much information related to the common interests of our HAMB community! All of this is made possible by those who take care of business and make sure we don't have to sort through stuff that is way off topic like political rants, religious debates, spam, scams, and everything else

Hats of to everyone who shares anywhere on the HAMB, and especially to those who make it possible to have a forum to share this information!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  15. Just "allianced", happy to contribute... Hope the COE social forum can stay around... thanks

b-bop, Stogy, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here ye here , squirrel has the floor....

17. Another '52-'59 Ford Social Groupie chiming in here so save the '52-'59 Ford Social Group. The HAMB and the '52-'59 Ford Social Group are both on my daily go-to list - so much so I haven't paid attention to other social groups. And as a 40-year '55 Ford Fairlane Victoria owner (40th anniversary coming up on Labor Day weekend this year), the knowledge and cameraderie in that group is an overwhelming blessing (and much better than the Crown Victoria Association's forum page IMHO, and I've been a CVA member since 1987). If it can't be saved, Ryan, please allow us '52-'59 Ford Social Group members a way to archive and access what has been one of the best things I've enjoyed about the HAMB since 2006.

down-the-road and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. I am a member of several of the Social Forums, none of them really active. Much like anything I see on the HAMB that's important to me, I'll 'copy & paste' that stuff so I have a local copy of it. That would be my recommendation to those that have info on those groups. I realize that can be a lot of info, but as with the main forum, not every post is filled with meaningful information, quite a few are just a support post or BTT post. I hate to see them go as well, but as Ryan mentioned, he has a plan. I trust him and what ever he has planned.

19. I agree 100%. I would not have been able to build my 56 Customline without all the knowledge and part number for modern day parts without this group

20. I second that, It would be GREATLY appreciated if you could keep the 52-59 Ford group

21. Magfiend

Magfiend

I didn't even know what social groups were - I use the main board. Seems to me that posting all of your stuff that could help out others in an exclusive spot that not everyone is aware of inadvertently leaves some of us out - why can't what you post just go on the main board so we can all benefit? If maintaining these splinter groups costs Ryan time, money and creates something of a headache, yet you expect him to do so, just for you, then you obviously don't care about the majority...that doesn't seem traditional at all, more of a "modern" outlook and we all know how that is working out...
    Could the posts on these "groups" not be migrated to the main board so the undoubtedly valuable content is not lost? And for those concerned about not being able to find it, there is a search function...

loudbang likes this.
  22. .....I respectfully disagree. Once again, nobody outside of Maryland really cares about where the local HAMBers are meeting for lunch. I'm sure you're not going to drive to my house if I decide to have a cook-out for the local HAMBers in my backyard. Not everything that gets posted on these sub forums is of any interest to others. We moderate them ourselves, so the main forum moderators really don't have to spend time doing it, and if you are really concerned about the cost of maintaining them (and the main forums) why not join the HAMB Alliance and do your part........Don.

seadog, Roothawg and rbrewer like this.
  23. Magfiend

Magfiend

Why the board is used to communicate lunch plans baffles me and why valuable bandwidth is expected to be wasted on that makes even less sense...
    Not everything that gets posted on ANY of the forums is of interest to everyone so that argument also makes no sense - the entire concept of a site like this is that, within the boundaries set out by the founder, we share knowledge, experience, appreciation and pride of accomplishment in what we are working on or own. If keeping the social forums did not cost Ryan a dime this would not be an issue but it has been stated that it does and is a pain in the ass. Why should a small group be catered to like that? That's a very arrogant, narrow view...

24. ....You're entitled to your opinion. Keep on enjoying those free classifieds.

25. Magfiend

Magfiend

As are you - enjoy the high cost, labor intensive niche that you feel entitled to...while it lasts...

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

When you start supporting the Alliance then you will have a valid opinion.
    Otherwise….

27. ....Well said.

Blue One likes this.
  28. @Ryan , any updates on the update?

lothiandon1940 likes this.