Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever feel like you are running out of time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I really appreciate the input guys. I echo Thor’s comment.

My Pastor always says “I’ve never sat with someone on their deathbed that told me “they wished they would have worked harder or longer”. Enjoy the journey.

LAROKE, wicarnut, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  2. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I finished this at 70. From a rotted shell to completion. I did the body mod's, paint, interior, dual quad zz4. I feel it every morning.

Attached Files:

alanp561, LAROKE, Chucky and 4 others like this.
  3. When we are young we worry about dying. When we get old we worry about living. I have days when I don't give a shit either way! Like today. Keep on pushing.

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Soon to be 72. About to finish up a mild redo of an original 31 A coup.
    Then going to send it down the road. After that I will pull a 32 I have stashed out of storage and bring it my shop and assimilate all the parts I have for it in one place. At that time I will seriously access whether to send it along to another, or keep it. The 40 I have will be finished if I possible.
    However todays main concern is making it through this MONSTER of
    a hurricane bearing down on us here in South Louisiana! Now I have to
    go outside and finish securing all things loose and such. We have been
    advised to expect extended power outages that may last several weeks.
    This is about the end the line for me and storms. I have been through
    too damn many to even remember. Now that I am retired I am wanting to sell out and leave the gulf coast behind! Enough already! So I sit hoping
    I/ we dont run out of time as soon as tomorrow!

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

After I turned 60, I started having a few health problems. Never been sick over a few days at a time, but stuff started lingering on. Arthritis, which runs in my family, started to take a toll on my joints, so now at 62 I finally had to see a DR about it. I've worked hard all my life, too many hours, too much manual labor, and have worn out some of my joints, but the meds have helped with that to a certain degree. The energy levels have dropped too, so now 4-5 hours and I'm done, no more all day, half the night thrashes. All part of the aging process.

I came to the realization a few years back I could never have all the things I wanted, not enough time or money, so my main center of attention has been my 47 Lincoln Zephyr. A simple engine/transmission swap turned out to be a 5 year deal, last year I didn't even work on it due to fears that I might be out of work at any time due to the shutdowns and I still had monthly bills to pay, so other than normal stuff, I didn't spend anything. I sold off parts that I had left from previous cars and bought a few items I needed, hauled off some scrap, and just generally laid low. Then another health scare early this year made me realize time was running out, faster than I thought. Priorities changed, and I began looking into retirement. I started my SS in June and went to part time, 3 days a week. This month I have only worked 2 days so far due to truck problems, but I have been getting a lot of stuff done around home. My outlook is better, even after a tiring day working here at home, I still feel like I've accomplished something. My Paternal Grandpa and my Dad both died in their early 70's, so I'm trying to get done what I can before then. My Mom's side of the family generally make it to their 80's, so I hope I got that from that side, but you never know.

I may never "finish" my Lincoln, but it's back drivable for short distances now, so I feel good about that. I still need a new driveshaft, mine is bent and out of balance, and I have to replace the 10 year old tires and want more HAMB friendly wheels, but that will come in time. I have a 350/350 Chevy combo sitting in the shop I dream about building a lightweight roadster around, probably a 27 T, but until the Lincoln is farther along, it will remain a dream. Not going to start something and have the wife have to get rid of it if something happens to me.

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

I am 74 and was in great health until two years ago when cancer came to visit...It's a very lethal type with no cure but the docs have done a good job so I'm still ticking....
    My old trucks are gone but I still have the bikes...my priorities have changed, vehicles are just stuff, people are far more important...

impala4speed, LAROKE, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, I know (at 78) I am running out of both time and project money. Have been working on the car
    since 1995. It is one of the most tastefully done 51 Merc. custom convertibles ever built. There has
    never been one like it. Need more $$$.
    Could a Go Fund Me Page for a custom car build be set up? Thanks.

Chucky, Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  8. LOL

If anyone knows that I am on my deathbed please bring your pastor so we can speak. My plan in life was to be gainfully employed until I died. Unfortunately life took that from me, but I am going to muddle along until I can't. :D

An interesting thought. my dad was gainfully (self employed) into his 79th trip around the sun. I helped him with the restoration of a Lister Jag that year. We got the proper headlamps new in the box from South Africa. I remember he said, "Wolfe do you know anyone in South Africa? I found headlamps and they need to get here." I digress sorry. I miss that old man for obvious reasons, but I am not sorry a bit for him. He lived a damned good life.

Anyway I said all of that to say this. I am going to run out of time, we all are. My passing when it happens will probably not be noticed. I moved to about 40 miles past "Pig Snarff Missouri" for a reason. One day if the HAMB outlives me I will just stop posting. No one should pay any attention at all. If you miss me you shouldn't and I lived a damned good life.

OK sorry for being morbid. Carry on my friends. ;)

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

You would be missed my friend. No more depressing thoughts.

Chavezk21, Just Gary, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  10. The upside to all this is that I do intend to have fun, more fun than anyone else. To date I can guarantee that I am having more fun than anyone else.

11. 123

from Seattle

After sitting here reading most of this thread and seeing more than a few cars, tools, projects, magazines, show fliers, parts and memorabilia get tossed, scrapped, sold off in estate sales or just left to rot all I can say is that you need to prepare for death by having a will!
    I know the most common response is along the lines of "bury me with it" or my kids can fight over it" and in all honesty it doesn't work that way. Doing appraisals on cars and parts for windows or children that have no idea what 90% of those parts or memorabilia is worth and some don't even care. If you want your stuff to goto someone who will actually care about it you need to take care of that before it is too late.
    As great as most car guys are lets be honest, once someone dies the fucking vultures start circling and if someone owes you money for parts or for whatever else get that sorted out or at the very least write it down! Put all your car titles in order and in a place that someone can find after you kick the bucket. Don't just toss them in the drawer under a bunch of other crap.

At 43 I have a few parts that either have some historical significance or are are one offs. My wife knows what and where they are and certain friends/car guys that I trust know what to do with all my stuff if I die.
    Remember that your junk doesn't have to goto family. Maybe your kid is a piece of shit or just doesn't care about cars. Maybe you have no family. You can will your tools, parts, cars to a school auto shop, museum or a local car club or a buddy or (in my case) a buddies kid who is into old cars or (also in my case) someone that loves and respects the project and will either continue it or move it onto someone who will feel the same.
    But it has to be legal, you can't just say "this guy gets my tools" you need an actual will or it ends up being a shitshow for everyone.

12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I'm 84 and soon to be 85. Still go to the shop every day including weekends. No more under dash work and 2 post lift is gathering dust do to having to get down (and back up) to position arms but the 4 post lift gets the hell used out of it. Want to finish my 34 NO WOOD Chevy and get the old 37 Buick back into top shape as it's been rode hard and put up wet for 40 years---and shows it.

LAROKE, A 2 B, lothiandon1940 and 3 others like this.
  13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

“Time waits for no one and it won’t wait for me” - Rolling Stones

Boneyard51, LAROKE, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  14. Times A Wastin' get with it!

Barrelnose pickup and Roothawg like this.
  15. I would say and keep saying have something running and driving now. Enjoy it. Then have maybe a project slowly brewing.
    I mean a lot guys 70/80’s posting their projects they just finished.. but how long was the build. Was it their only project all along?

I also question the guys with a 5 piles, that can just add up to one nice running pile.
    we only have so many lifetimes. Again enjoy what you can now. don’t forget enjoying cars with friends and family.
    also in this era don’t count on your kids keep the pile lineage going they will sooner call the junker to clean the pile to park their EV and have nice yard.
    Sheesh I digress back to my cave.

just have a nice driver and go about your business.

blowby, Desoto291Hemi and Roothawg like this.
  16. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

[QUOTE="Tow Truck Tom, post: 14178887.
    I have decided to piss off everyone and live to 101 years. Don't try to stop me...[/QUOTE]

i don’t wanna be that old…ever.
    (butt…if i could be my 27 year old body and mind at the age of 101… then maybe.)

17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I still (try to) do the same shit I always did... it just hurts more now and usually takes a little longer.
    Wisdom helps... sometimes; I start to do something that I've done dozens of times and then think... this is gonna hurt, should I try this or wait for a little help.
    Patience has replaced drive in a lot of circumstances. What ever the case may be, I figure when you stop doin' stuff, someday your liable to just flat stop.

A 2 B, Roothawg, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  18. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

My cure for that is I thank the lord every morning.

19. 34Larry

34Larry

Been gone a couple of days, just want to say thank you so much for these so kind words, twenty8.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

At 60 I do not feel like I am running out of time but running out of ambition,I was in a serious car wreck 40 years ago and feeling the effects and taking much more time to get anything done, It took me a hour and a half to get motivated to jack one of my daily drivers up to change the exhaust and it turned out to be a two week project since I want to go through everything so I would not have to get it on stands again. I do no think I will take on another long term project.

Lil32, Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I still get something done on the race car every day but I have been thinking of starting a new business as a sideline.
    All it will take is a simple sign and a card table alongside the front road. This will be for baseball enthusiasts only.
    The sign will say, "Shake hands with Babe Ruth second hand. 1 dollar". "Talk to the voice that talked to him. 1 dollar".

blowby, Roothawg, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  22. desotot

desotot

Hmm... good idea Pete. I know Mike Hall from Rust Bros. I could set up a table and try that but I live on a dead end gravel road and the only people that drive past my place are my hillbilly neighbors and they all know him as well.

Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  23. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 77, pretty much finished the Studebaker (gonna work on a tweaked radiator shroud), the old Chevy could use some metal replacement....the stuff I did (and didn't do) back in the 70's is catching up with me. The shop is full of cars (including my father in law's dad's (yeah his dad's) 64 Fairlane. My wife talked about building another building to put cars in so I have room to do another car..........I think she just wants me working on something to 1. Be in the shop and 2. have a reason to get up in the morning. She is in the shop doing "her thing" every day...I guess she'd get lonely if I vegetated:)

Just Gary, A 2 B, Roothawg and 4 others like this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Reading this thread a few thoughts come to mind and to answer your question, Yes, at 73 I'm aware my time here is getting shorter and I am Thankful/Grateful for every day, No One is promised tomorrow. Something I received from my parents and have passed on to my children, "There Are No Excuses, Make It Happen" has served me well. The worst thing to be at your end is being a Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda guy. Enjoy your life/family/hobbies and take my word, what's important to you will change as you age, thoughts at 53 are different at 73 IMO.

Thor1, A 2 B, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

That is the truth. My priorities have changed from 33 to 53.

Lil32, Thor1, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  26. Turned 68 today. Outlived my Dad by 10 years. Got my share of “ been there and done that” t-shirts. Finished projects and race cars in the past. Have others that probably won’t run under their own power in my time. Leaving tomorrow on a month long road trip in our great nation with my best friend…my wife. Thank the good Lord everyday for blessing me with more than I deserve. Enjoyed everyone’s thoughts. Carry on.

Thor1, wicarnut, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I lost my father to pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. He was 65 years old and I was 39. Our lives are easy to compare as we we're married and had a son at the same age. We had just spent a year building his dream hot rod shop before he got sick. Now I'm living in his home, the house I grew up in using his shop to try and finish both mine and his projects. So yes it's really given me a sense of urgency in regards to my "time running out". As well as changed my focus on what's the most important in mine and my families lives. The other tough part is now I don't even hardly feel like messing w cars at all without Pops. That was "our" thing to do together. I find myself wrenching by myself still and getting better but the enjoyment & inspiration is just gone.. Nowadays it's more of just a "completion goal" than a passion. Not sure what to do about it but prioritize and stay busy.

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

At this time I have one running driving car and two somewhat active projects and my 1937 Ford truck a maybe project! Unfortunately I am in the “ I need that” bracket and buy way too much stuff I will never get to! Well the light bulb came on the other day and I have started selling some of my things I know I will never get to at my age! Soon to be 70!
    My biggest problem is my two close friends! After I help them on things… like race cars, racing go carts, buying and selling cars…. I don’t have time for myself. The big problem is helping them is more fun to me than working on my junk! Lol And they have a tendency to brink thirty packs with them! My Dad always said I was a “Good time, Charley” and I have never proved him wrong!
    Also as I age, I can’t take the heat anymore and here in Oklahoma 100 degree days with high humidity are the norm! The cold doesn’t bother me, as it doesn’t get really cold here , like it used to, and I can put on a coat!
    Luckily, longevity, runs in my family as does relatively good health! But I have way less days ahead of me than behind me….so changes are in order!
    I lost my best friend a few years ago… that was a wake up call for me. I included a picture of his head stone.
    But a fellow can’t get depressed, just be aware and adapt accordingly.

1E594950-117D-4D5E-B690-B020AFA105DD.jpeg

Fingers, osage orange, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It finally sunk in a couple years ago I had more good days behind me then I have to look forward to but looking forward to retirement in 5 years and can spend more time in the garage if I have the money.

osage orange, Lil32 and Deuces like this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have 2067 days left til retirement, but who's counting?