Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bought a 40 Merc not a Dodge, a MERC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Aug 8, 2021.

1. You need to get that Ford before someone else does., that will make a excellent family road car with very little work. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Your correct HRP

my plan was either a 5 speed conversion or a mitchels overdrive . ( I like the idea of the over drive as it would keep the car more “ original” or traditional how ever you wanted to look at it. And hydraulic brakes

Then simply drive the heck out of it.

the guy selling it totally understands, said he haven’t had a ton of interest in it unfortunately for him.

I should know in the next few weeks what my outlay will be with this flood and if I still have money in the car fund it’s a go but only time will tell right now.

3. Maybe you'd better rethink the F*@d... Your flood problem might just be the result of you pissing off the Dodge Gods!! Just saying....

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. No such thing as a Dodge god !!!

NashRodMan, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  5. AA829975-3A29-437A-8AE7-F637126D99A6.jpeg

who said it ?
    Go east young man.

on a road trip, looking at treasures . Sleeping overnight at my folks cottage .
    Early start in the morning.
    Wish me luck.

6. pivir123

pivir123

I like that humpback. Nice car!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. OK... Good Luck! (see, contrary to what my wife says.. I CAN follow instructions!)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They make awesome apple pie...ask me how I know...hey! if your by Smiths Falls Van, PM me eh...I'm a bit busy but always have a moment for a quick coffee or beer...Cheers Mate​

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Love the mask on the big Apple !!! How far east you going ???Guessing the basement is waterproofed ?? Huge rainstorm across the south west of Lake ontario . From Toronto to Watertown. Really poured .Safe Travels !!!

10. Long day today @Stogy I’ll be back up in a week or so, catch ya on the flip flop

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  11. Found it online 5 hours driving later went to see it.

very clean original , redone interior,
    302, AOD And an 8.8 rear, disc brake up front. Very clean great driving car.

need to organize freight to get her home, stopping for fuel and a bite right now . 21C2EB82-2F01-4916-A329-3F623DFDDDBF.jpeg B14D90C8-6BC4-4851-9A9C-46CA247B5396.jpeg 83B64554-9A12-484D-ADBC-13AC251372C9.jpeg 45CBD1CF-E37F-46A9-B570-B93EA618DDCE.jpeg 3B05C2C4-3B99-46DC-B05A-6A2AB4F9362F.jpeg

12. Plans include steelies and caps .
    Change fluids and drive it !! CCF30DD0-248D-4D79-8320-EA78949FF827.jpeg

13. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Good for you!! Looks like you won't have to do much - cough cough plug wires cough cough.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats, just like that eh...bang your a Fat Fender owner...you must be pretty excited...looks like you're gonna update the Washington Blue Thread...AND you'll get some primo driving in with the cooler September air...how about a Personalized plate 'Dodge...Not'...;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. :rolleyes: Lol

041D6587-DF2C-4D37-B738-E1C1F27431C9.jpeg

Had to stop for some goodies !! Big apple is just too dang good !! Butter pecan tarts are better then sex!!!

Well , no they are not. But there pretty dang good !!

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...They have to add 1 more to the pies sold sign now...;)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used this company...
    https://www.tfxinternational.com/

I have no affiliation...they had several options, competitive prices and delivered it to my garage...Fitnessguy also had them transport my former Coupe project he purchased to BC as well...worth a call if you're shopping...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. I thought you were going to look at the 37? Nice cars, either way.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someday we will figure out why guys buy yellow, red, blue, orange, green etc spark plug wires and no nice looms. Black on everything with gray allowed on later Fords. $50 for a good black set and add $250 to price.

A great looking Merc not much needed to make it your own..

20. Lol, I looked at the 37, it was all stock so needed some upgrades to make it what I wanted .
    Then my basement had a water leak so I put purchasing the 37 on hold. Found this one and it’s been upgraded but minus the wheels stock appearing.
    So I jumped on it it was the same price as the 37 basically.

yes it needs a few things in the engine compartment to tidy it up.

the valve covers are neat as the are engraved with “MERCURY” and the logo.

Not a fan of the air cleaner and a few other things, but that’s all fun work if you ask me, and YES the yellow plug wires are going

I wonder if @Moriarity has a set he can sell me in one of his kitchen cupboards :p

Dedsoto, lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry I have no plug wires for Electronic ignition distributors..... you should know better... LOL

22. Very nice car !!!!
    Nice to see the ford engine in it and not a belly button 350 chev ,somebody was able to think out of the box !!! Looks like very few minor touches to make her your own !!!

23. Congratulations!

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. Great looking car but I just can’t unsee the wheels!:)

25. Lol , yup first time I saw the car I scrolled right past as I’m not a fan of blue , and those wheels seemed to end up on every hot rod build up here in the late 90’s.
    Could never figure it out spend big money on everything else then go to K-Mart for your wheels o_O

I want to put steelies on it with a bit of an offset .

26. dwollam

dwollam

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.

27. :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Lol I know ain’t she cherry ! Lol

dwollam and Stogy like this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

I like it!

Dave

29. Looks like a pretty cool car and will look 150% better once you get the steelies and caps on it. :D As we all know, wheels can either make or break a car and yours looks broke right now...but only because of the cheap k-mart wheels. ;)

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like yellow plug wires.......on later model ot cars like pony cars. Black or gray look better on our era cars, preferably black if you can find them. Those wheels though, I agree, they gotta go. I didn't like them when they were new in the 80's I'm thinking Caddy Sombreros might fit well....

dwollam, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.