Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever feel like you are running out of time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm not the oldest guy on here, (53 next month) but, I start looking at all the things I have to finish and they usually take me 3-4 years each and wonder if I will ever get done.

I have been watching my dad at 83 building his El Camino and he keeps talking about it's his last build. I remember him retiring and he was just a few years older than me.

I feel like I never have enough time or money....

Why did I bring this up? A friend of mine sent me a little video clip of the Fly running at the Kontinentals "Day of the Drags". That was 20 years ago.....

I gotta get moving.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I was in the middle of building my Chevy II when I turned 53. I had just got rid of one long term project that wasn't getting done, and I jammed on another and finished it in a month, and also had recently got my truck back together after wrecking it and taking years to finish up.

Since then I've got down to one or two at a time, and let my interests at the time lead me to the next project, instead of staring at the same unfinished thing for years on end. Mostly.

So....yeah, I've felt that way. And I've done something about it.

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

53 you are still a kid. You have plenty of time,be like your dad just keep building i just turned 74 and have my merc to redo and finish my model a but when I get those done I will probably start something else. My reason to getup every morning.

4. Just do what you can and have as much fun while your doing it. I'm real close to you in age ( a little younger) and I feel the same way, time and money never seem to intersect. To add to the mix my grandfather lived till the ripe old age of 64 (oil pumps don't last long in my family), so it's getting down to the wire for me..........but summer heat has got me down.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

75 and hoping to finish my '36 3W before I die, but it ain't looking good......

6. Ya just gotta live.
    No one knows how much time they have left.
    Only 2 choices:
    Get busy living or get busy dying.
    I’m sure this place has folks with issues that either slow em down tremendously or can’t physically do what they wished they could. But they tune in here for a daily dose of hot rodding.
    We really do t know what build, pic or comment might help these folks live voraciously through someone else’s adventures.
    Keep planning
    Keep building
    Keep watching

I’m getting close to a milestone birthday. Still haven’t started a build I bought 25 years ago. Got too much junk to work on now.
    It’s gets a little crazy then something happens. A much needed part is located, you finally get over a problem on a build or you might see something that sparks some inspiration.
    I watched a kid leaving school in a lowered OT beater. Loud, banging through gears, big grin, hat backwards. Now that’s what all this crap is about.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 79, I have three projects to finish. I'm doing the first (and most valuable one) so I can sell it so finances on the last two will not be a problem.

I think I have a handle on the "age problem", but "money issues" can really get in the way (especially if you are on a tight schedule).

8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I'll be 77 here shortly and I got Harley shirts older than you.

9. EVER FEEL LIKE YOU ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME?

Every day, as tomorrow is not promised to any one. With combat tours behind me that I survived, albeit missing some bone and flesh I am gifted. Gifted with every day that I am on this earth. If I don't get things finished I don't care. I am enjoying myself. my retirement, my wife and family. When the man upstairs says, "Come home to me". There is no saying, wait until I finish this. He was not ready for me yet but will be one day. Make the best of life. Enjoy what you are doing and do the best you can because you never know when the man will say "Come home".

10. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'm 47. I don't worry about finishing things. If I don't, someone else will. Not my problem. My 64 Camino is a complete, running driving car. I am working on small projects on it that I should have done 30 years ago. My Henry J is sitting, waiting for me to come up with enough money for a chassis. I don't have the skills to build it myself. If I kick off, my son will take the finished motor. What happens to the body at that point doesn't matter. I'm working on siding my house as well. I do a section each summer. If I don't finish, I can't feel sorry for it. I just lost a good friend to Covid. I'm helping the family clean up his stuff. I get pleasure in helping them, I enjoy the projects I take on for myself. Nobody is promised tomorrow, so enjoy today.

Devin

11. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

EVERY FUCKING DAY!!!

LOU WELLS, HSF, osage orange and 9 others like this.
  12. I'm starting to feel that way. I don't wanna throw in the towel yet, I'm having more fun than I ever have in my life!! And the oil pumps are only good to 59 years in my family, that's 7 years away. Live every day like it's your last.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. At 77 I thank God for every day I wake up.
    Many on both sides of my family made it 100+. My mother was 96. Two of her sisters made 101+. Father died young in an accident. His 2 year younger brother made 101.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure do--slowing down a bit too at 78 but not ready to quit just yet.

15. Simple answer, yes.

16. twenty8

twenty8

Stop wasting time worrying about shit like this and just get on with it. You will finish what you finish, and no-one will be able to hold you accountable when you're gone. Someone else will finish what you don't get done............;)

17. But they might not do it how I like it. So I have to finish it myself a.s.a.p. And the 'p' part is the problem!

Wanderlust, 41 GMC K-18, joel and 2 others like this.
  18. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I'm in my 70's now and don't dwell on things out of my control. No deadlines, no expectations, no pressure, just living everyday trying to move forward and enjoying the journey. Lately, there has been more planning than doing but that's OK. Hey, we got to leave something for the next guy to do.

Boneyard51, Fingers, 56don and 4 others like this.
  19. Well 76 now and still looking to be driving the Flat Fed when I'm 90 I hope....... 18815368_1326270354075193_6002303501464658817_o.jpg

20. Lil32

Lil32

72. going OK. driving the coupe
    was told once do not go to bed fighting with partner and live every day as if was your last
    just a short story, years ago worked with a recently married young lady, her and her partner
    had a big fight Sunday nite and did not make up before bed
    Monday morning he was up at 5am to go away for a week to work on a new dam
    one hour later he collided with a farm tractor crossing the highway in darkness.
    dead ,
    police came to our work about 11am to tell her of his death (5 hours later)
    I have never forgotten that scene and her breakdown
    saw her years later and she had still not recovered from his death or remarried

so remember how lucky your are to wake up above the grass, no matter what age

21. spanners

spanners

Carl, my mother used to ask me when I was going to stop this silliness (drag racing) and with a straight face I told her that when I was too old to climb into the driver's seat.............then I would build a race car with a door to make it easier to get in. She was not impressed

22. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

You hit the nail on the head Warhorse. In my case the spirit is willing but at 78 the body is not cooperating any more but it was a GREAT life.

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I moved in with my better half at 62, built my garage (24 by 30 with a 12/12 pitch roof to give a second story for storage) at 63. Only subbed out the concrete. I did have a buddy (64) help with the rafters since they were 18 foot
    long, otherwise did it myself. I am now working on my 50 chevy pu, no I do not put in 10 hour days anymore but I try to make some progress every day. My dad had a quadruple bypass at 53, lived to be 88. No one knows what time they have, just take it as it comes and try to enjoy what you can. Most of the people I knew who died shortly after retiring were people who had no other interests, I am convinced that going to bed with a plan for what you want to do the next day prolongs your quality of life as well as quantity.

24. .........Keep pushing forward my friend. You're still a "youngster". I've got a pair of Converse All-Stars older than you!:D;)..............Don.

25. My current build will be my last one I think, but I said that about the previous one...

26. Hell Yes!
    You don’t need to be fit, just healthy(mind and body) . You got those 2 covered, I imagine life would appear to offer a lot more time.
    This ain’t no practice run!

41 GMC K-18, Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

I remember....:D:rolleyes: M9160_A_08X1.jpg

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

At almost 77 I get up each day looking forward to time on my cars, truck and project. With three finished [ha ha] vehicles to look after I have a hard time keeping my 40 sedan project moving forward. I realize that at this age things can change overnight and am afraid that I might run out of time. But I keep moving forward hoping to see it finished. My family also has a history of living into their late 90's but there is no guaranty.

29. Koz

Koz

I turn 70 this year and for the first time in my life I absolutely need, not want, to put my Vicky on the road. I'm no longer looking for the perfect parts or ultimate finish. I just want one more run to Wildwood. This year I have murdered my Visa and scavenged everything I can get my hands on. It's been 12 years since I've had a rod of my own on the road and probably damn close to that long since I've been to a show.

I still work 7 days in the shop and the best thing I ever did was fired three customers who just didn't get it. Hardest thing I ever did but necessary. You get to a point where you just realize you're not here forever.

In short, I know how you feel.

Just Gary, Lil32, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  30. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm 71 and I can't remember a time when I wasn't tired. I have two trucks and three engines to rebuild and when I contemplate the work to be done as a whole, it's overwhelming. So, I have to filter that out and take it one task at a time, step-by-step, and remember that it's the journey, not the destination that matters.