Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Greetings from Winters Performance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winters Performance, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Go online and download the catalog
    All the specs and options explained
    BTW I am using the Maverick gear Falcon 2 speed box with interchangeable 1st gear ratios in V4 powered Bonneville car
    Works great!
    J

Tman likes this.
  2. racer_dave

racer_dave

Welcome!! Been using your products on my circle track cars for decades. Best ever.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Todd553

Todd553

4. I have been looking at those for our rear engine car

loudbang likes this.
  5. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

they had the coupler parts i needed for my twin engine altered project. made my life a lot easier.

ratrodrodder, loudbang and Tman like this.
  6. Thanks for the support!

That's cool to hear! We'd love to see some shots of the car, hear what speeds you've reached, etc. And @Tman give us a call if we can answer any questions or help you figure out the best transmission for your project. Incidentally, our transmissions were originally released under the "Maverick" line because that was Vaughn Winter Sr.'s call sign when he was in the Air Force.

@Todd553 Awesome roadster. Is that the one that earned you your red cap?

@A Boner we offer a number of different quick changes specifically for hot rods. Most guys are running either our V8 quick change or our bigger Champ version.

The V8 has an 8-3/8" 3.78 ring & pinion and our Wedgelock differential. It uses 6-spline change gears, and it's rated to 550hp (but can typically handle more, depending on what tires you're running, etc.)

The Champ version has a 10" 4.12 R&P with our Winters Track differential. It uses 10-spline change gears and is rated to 1,000hp (again can typically handle more...we've got drift guys putting 1,500+ through our independent Champs, but of course they're not hard launching all 1,500!)

Both V8 and Champ rears are available with our vintage Ford-style steel tubes & bells or ribbed aluminum side bells with steel tubes, and we offer straight cut or helical cut gear sets. I've included a photo of both the V8 and the Champ rears. You can get them with cast or polished center sections and gear covers (and we offer a number of different gear covers as well).

We also make a Vintage Bell V8 Center Kit that uses our center section and internals but is designed to accept '35-'48 Ford tubes & bells, and our Early Ford V8 Center Kit uses the '35-'48 Ford carrier assembly, axles, and tubes & bells with our center section, R&P, carrier bearing, etc.

Beyond all of that we make independent versions of the V8 and Champ rears, as well as a Heavy Duty Champ (like the one under @Mike VV 's Studebaker on the first page) and a Bonneville-bred Xtremeliner rear, but most guys building traditional hot rods are going to use one of the V8 or Champ rears mentioned above.

We just finished a new Hot Rod Rears catalog. It's not up online yet, but it will be soon. If anyone would like one, send us a DM and we'll drop one in the mail to you.

V8 Quick Change with steel tubes & bells:
    V8 steel tube and bell.jpg
    V8 Quick Change with ribbed aluminum bells and steel tubes:
    V8 ribbed bell.jpg
    Champ Quick Change with steel tubes & bells:
    Champ steel tube and bell.jpg

Hope this info helps!

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need that profile picture as a t-shirt.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here’s my 26 RPU with my Winters nostalgia V8 quick change.
    I ordered it through Speedway motors and I love it.
    I decided to run helical gears to calm the howl a little bit.
    61743C15-1F7E-49FE-9BFA-10CD084734A3.jpeg
    551BC518-BFDF-49D2-A158-187657BFF58D.jpeg
    F59F1704-BA6D-4186-9F6E-09DEEE6401DE.jpeg
    2D150372-CCC9-4735-B8AF-B8E8F69FA39E.jpeg
    A970AB2E-91F9-48B6-BB8E-3DD964B594E2.jpeg
    5C217FC7-ADDF-4CB8-96BF-D428D951A29B.jpeg
    25320E80-E1F2-4A81-91A8-749CB8A9C72B.jpeg
    776106F7-0102-4C94-B56F-3C641F2156AE.jpeg
    69719E06-1F2F-4BD9-BD71-C23BCB7F2665.jpeg
    1A107A1B-E202-45A1-8136-9AD3CAFC4EFE.jpeg
    View attachment 5144498
    5561EC4D-90F5-4BDA-BE44-EAC78A751BED.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  9. GeeRam

GeeRam

Will fire off an email :cool:

10. irishjig13

irishjig13

Bob or Mike - I appreciate you providing some assistance here. I just purchased (used) a Winters Quick Change serial number C16645. Is it possible to get an original build sheet from the SN? The original owner claims this QC had every available upgrade option when purchased a few years ago. It is a magnesium center and bells, aluminum axle tubes, 4.86 R&P, upgraded internal bearings, 31 spline axles with 24 spline hubs for wide 5's, disk brakes, etc. It is set up as an asphalt circle track rear end. I am planning on putting this under my 30 Model A Coupe but need to find out more about this and probably replace some of the internals. I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thank you, Kevin

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  11. @Blue One your RPU is awesome! Thanks for choosing our rear...glad you’re happy with it.

@irishjig13 let me look into this and will get back to you shortly. We are preparing for our Open House tomorrow and everyone’s running in 10 different directions today! Standby...will get back to you.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  12. redoxide

redoxide

A warm welcome from Scotland. Here is one of your products I fitted earlier for a buddy. On the back of fitting this I was so impressed with the quality of the product I bought one for myself . Had to sell a few bits and pieces to raise the cash but now its bought im looking forward to fitting it in my own coupe :)

IMG-20210425-181811.jpg

13. 48stude

48stude

I bought my QC center from Dick Spadaro .Bill
    [​IMG]

41fastback and loudbang like this.
  14. @48stude Dick played a huge role in developing our Early Ford center kit. He is missed!

@redoxide thanks for the kind words. The coupe looks great!

@irishjig13 I spoke with Mike on Friday and he said that he already spoke with you. Hopefully you've got all the info you need, but don't hesitate to let us know if you need more help.
    Thanks!
    Curt/Winters

loudbang likes this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Some of the fancy aftermarket 9” Ford rear ends are getting quite pricy. I’m thinking one of your Q.C.’s is looking more affordable every day! Keep up the good work.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Todd553

Todd553

@WintersPerformance Yes that's my Red Hat roadster in the picture. Holds G/BFR and G/BGR records. G/BFR 210.881. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 4tford

4tford

I have a winters shifter in 63 Dodge works great!

63 interior.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  18. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

STOP IT !!!! Redoxide you are making me look very closely at my bank account LOL.

redoxide and loudbang like this.
  19. Dorrssacadilac

Dorrssacadilac

So glad to meet you folks, your involvement here will be greatly appreciated.

20. redoxide

redoxide

I got mine from Home Grown Hot Rods ( Jon Golding) I had the drums redrilled for early ford and currently waiting on some 5 on 5 1/2 shafts reaching the UK .. Sold a steel T body and a genuine 32 chassis to raise the funds .. might as well rebuild the coupe than build another car :) Im still working on my 28 roadster as well .. Problem with the rear end purchase it shifted the weak link further up the car, so bit the bullet and bought a tremec t5 as well .. next indulgement might be a blower for the flathead .. maybee not lol..

loudbang and trikejunkie like this.
  21. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I am looking to sell my police shovelhead to fund it , too many toys hanging around - the rest of the money can go into my 48 chief !

loudbang and redoxide like this.
  22. Welcome!
    My Winters nostalgia V8 quick change, with helical gears
    Patiently waiting until final assembly of my '30 roadster....

thumbnail_IMG_4144.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7207.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7208.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7214.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  23. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Can anyone advise on the best length to buy to fit under a fully fendered 30 A Coupe?

loudbang likes this.
  24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Most of the rear ends, 9 inch or Winters quick changes I sell for 28-34 Ford chassis are 56 inches outside dimensions.

Blue One, trikejunkie and loudbang like this.
  25. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

This might be a dirty word for you guys but I'm interested in knowing if your 10 spline lower shaft will work as a replacement for the Halibrand 10 spline rear?

trikejunkie and loudbang like this.
  26. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Thank you Krylon ,I thought that but it is always good to ask more experienced people on these matters.I can build a vintage bike but Model A`s are new to me and it is a lot of ££££ to spend and get it wrong !.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Thanks for posting shots of your Winters rear photos, fellas. Always cool to see.

@trikejunkie as @krylon32 said, 56” is a fairly common width for Model A’s. That said, if you want me to send us the specifics of your build we can verify it for you. On our steel tube & bell rears the tubes and axles are made to order can be anywhere from about 48” to 60” (and our ribbed aluminum side bell rears can be just about any length, since they use straight tubes). But yes, 56” is kind of standard.

@ronnieroadster ha! No, not a dirty word. We get calls for Hal stuff all the time. Unfortunately right now our internals do not cross over. However, we are exploring that further as we speak, and we’ll keep everyone posted if that changes.

A Boner, loudbang and trikejunkie like this.