Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Power Wagon Woodie

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mamllc, Aug 6, 2020.

1. This thread was just brought to my attention, the work being done is absolutely stunning! HRP

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is nuts. :eek:

And I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

3. neds29

neds29

Looks like something that we may see on Nantucket Island? Beautiful work. You learned well at Rybovich. Wish my Lyman Islander looked that good.

4. mamllc

mamllc

Getting very close to the end, still have one window to install and a few interior panels. Have to get the top upholstered and reinstall the rear fenders. The list is getting shorter. I ran across this old picture tonight and thought it made for a good contrast. My opinion is obviously biased, but I like the new one better. IMG_3785.JPG IMG_4705.JPG

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've done an incredible job on this!

6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Agreed!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. SS327

SS327

Wow! Incredible job!

8. klilek

klilek

That is just cool

9. plywoody47

plywoody47

Looking great.
    If you don’t mind, could you explain the rear floor construction? Specifically the “spacers” used between the planks in the finished images.
    I’m rebuilding a 47 Plymouth woodie, and missing any remnants of the rear floor, so looking for good references and any guidance there.
    Thanks
    Mike

10. mamllc

mamllc

Between the planks is a caulk that I got from Mcmaster Carr, it had the physical properties I wanted and a color that was good enough. The planks are fully finished when installed. I tape off the top edge, put enough caulk on the edge of the board that when it is installed it completely fills the gap and bulges out the top enough to trowel off with a spoon. Then peel the tape up. Some manufacturers have used tongue & groove, or lap joints, have also seen them done with a butt joint like I did. The reason I went this way was mainly to avoid wood on wood contact because the owner wants to keep squeaking to a minimum. I did other things elsewhere on the body to help isolate wood parts, and now that I have driven it, it seems to have worked. It's not new car quiet, but for an all wood body it's not bad.

Finished pictures to come soon.

plywoody47 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. mamllc

mamllc

I'm done! Drove it over to the guy that sprayed the clear on the wood for me, he's going to buff the hood and front fenders. Also had the top upholstered and front floor carpeted while it was there. Been rainey here lately and hard to get good pictures where it is parked. Hopefully the hauler will show up on a nice day and I can get some good outdoor pictures. IMG_4756.JPG IMG_4757.JPG IMG_4758.JPG

Attached Files:

Smiffy, safetythird, Ford52PU and 8 others like this.
  12. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

13. That's a mind blower! Beautiful!

14. charlesf

charlesf

15. Hope the owner fully appreciates what you have accomplished in this build. Just an outstanding display of skills and vision. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Money has no value unless it's spent " The owner of this amazing POWER WAGON has spent his money very well !
    As cool as this rig is, and as amazing as the demonstration of incredible wood working skills are, I hope this cool ride will never see a frame deep mud hole ! Its literally a rolling piece of art ! Congratulations on a wonderful completion of this build !

R A Wrench, Speedwrench and RodStRace like this.
  17. mamllc

mamllc

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, much appreciated!

This truck was built with the intention of it being used and I expect that it will. I wont be a bit surprised if the 4wd even gets some occasional use. I doubt very much that it will ever encounter any frame deep mud holes though. At least not intentinally....

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Looks amazing!!! Are you planning on taking it to Fairfield Iowa in 2022?

20. That is spectacular.
    I've always thought those Power Wagon were good lookers but this is next level.

Congratulations on a job well done, you must be very proud.

mamllc and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  21. mamllc

mamllc

Thanks! The owner is more into useing than showing, so probably not.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.