Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***August 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Hot August Bangers!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Anyone looking for an aluminum 5 main block?
    There is an opening at the front of the line now!!!!!!!

ottoman likes this.
  2. 97

Did you give up waiting or is there another one ready to go? What is the price of the aluminum block? Who does a prospective buyer contact? Who supplies the crank?

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I was taken off of the list.
    In discussion for it since 2014. $2850 Deposit sent 2017. Deposit returned last week due to his impatience. No price ever finalized I wouldn't bother any further inquires. He has no conscience.

I got frustrated with his one sentence replies to progress (inquires sent every 2 months or so). So I started commenting on his posts for other projects. Many of them started well after the block project. He took offense to me exposing his short coming on the block project. What good is "American made" when you can't deliver?

ottoman likes this.
  4. callcoy

callcoy

You certainly gave him a chance

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  5. I think Dan dodged a bullet, some blessings just take time.

J

Dustyp489 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  6. 97

Thanks Dan. I guess finding an unbuilt Donovan is the last bastion of hope now, and me being 10,000 miles away puts me in the back of the last row if that ever comes up! :cool:

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  7. The funny thing is in the last 3 years I have located 3 of them, the people looking jump on them fast.
    We are building one as a flathead for nostalgia, as Ed and Arnold intended.
    I can put out feelers, just have the funds available.

John

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  8. Just chiming in......hope all's well with youse guys !

BeaverMatt likes this.
  9. I have no Winfield stuff! I'm still struggling along with a couple of Stromberg 97's! But it's good to hear that you're still getting with your project!

10. They're Daytons; 4 X 17 in front 7 x17 in the rear

11. Struggled all week with fuel delivery (engine would start to burble and crack at high speed under a load). We replaced the fuel pump and filter. Fuel line too. Still had a little bit of brake down. I'm think I may have some leaks at the throttle bearings! I had to settle down and run in 5th place. The whole set of races are on YouTube. Here's a link to our first practice:
    You have to scroll forward to about 6:48 to view 3B our race

fur biscuit, Jet96 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  12. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

A as
    If you do not know of the BURTZ blk kit that is for sale NOW, you are missing out on the only cast iron 5 main, 5 cam bearing block ….ever made !!!
    Kit consists of 5 main crank; machined block and 4 custom made rods. It has the 5 main caps attached. Cam bearings are fitted. There is more.
    So, you are now aware that the Donovan (that is no longer made, and is rarer than hens teeth) …. Is NOT …the last bastion… for obtaining a great 5 main build.
    Yeah, it is not alum…. but likely will NEVER be an alum 5 main blk …that will match up to the excellence/perfection of the Donovan !!
    I have a Burtz blk kit, but cant build it out (health) right now.
    I also have a D blk (#17), which is near completion. I only mention this to show that I am familiar with this subject.

13. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I have known Dan for decades. He is a good person. I agree with his sentiments and position in this ‘Tod’ block subject. As matter of fact, I wasted 5 years of my life,time and money, before Dans involvment, experiencing exactly same as Dan has stated ….and worse !!
    Tods has not … and can not fulfill his bullshit- i. e.- make functioning alum and iron 3 main; 5 main A/B blocks, as well as V 8 flathead blks !
    Thanks that Dan was finally able to cut ties from this fantasy !!
    Took me 5 years yrs to do same.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  14. RussTee

RussTee

I have watched this with interest Dan gave every chance to get this block very disapointing to see it all fall through. Dan has helped me down here in NZ while no knowing me I felt he took a chance and came through helping me out (even returning change) I am very disapointed this happened

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

I have no dog in this fight nor do I know Tod... but I urge everyone to encourage those that create products for our hobby... even if you don’t like the end product, the projected cost, or how long it takes to be produced. Developing products for a small hobby is a labor of love, usually a horrible business decision, and is the only thing that perpetuates our hobby into the future. Without aftermarket producers (big or small), we have no hobby.

If one is unhappy with the products available today... one should consider producing the products of tomorrow. After all... who else is gonna do it...?

Old Dawg likes this.
  16. Kevin,
    I, like you have no dog in this fight.
    I, like you do make some parts for this hobby and sometimes can buy dinner for my wife as a result.
    There is a history behind this hobby when it comes to aftermarket parts. The large suppliers are always battling cost vs quality, this will never end, especially in a small niche market as this.
    Where I see the problem in this particular case, promises were made and money was transferred. Nothing delivered.
    This is nothing new, many smaller producers of parts have done this, seed money is collected and then unforeseen circumstances occur. Dan is lucky that he recovered his investment, many others have written off that seed money.
    caveat emptor, John

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of half hearted starts and even more stops. Things like getting an A cam with a T nose, is like pulling teeth. Covid made a mess of Cam supplies, the last guy I knew of that did it went out of business. Not wasting time trying to build a engine with a crap ass T cam in it. With out the cam, the valve train is a waste. Tried to buy a set of timing gears, guy who makes them sends you in email circles about adapters and shims and custom bits that he makes but you cant buy. Realized that I have been scrounging bits for 10 years now, i know...found a shop that will rifle drill A cranks, he said he'll take a look at my crank. Get to drive to Dallas for that fun. So between all of that, and knocking over the custom radiator i had made and bending it at 30 degree angle, not finding parts, general frustration. Sold my Rover to buy a tow rig, loaned that to a friend who blew it up 3,000 miles from home. So cant even go out and have some wind in the face and grab beer. Also it is about 100+ degrees in the shop on most days, sometimes it feels like 120.

On a plus, my daughter ticked past 7 months and James made it to 4 years, everyone is healthy and plodding along. Progress! Joined the local T chapter down here, see what I can learn from them and hopefully find some guidance and a bit of rub off enthusiasm.

18. OUCH! Have you tried Dan McEachern out here in San Jose? (dmcgears2yahoo.com)

Jet96 likes this.
  19. Complete side note, wasn't there a gentleman in here that had an ARDUN head on a B block or something of the sorts?

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Old Dawg, Jet96, Jiminy and 3 others like this.
  22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I don't think so. It didn't last that long.

I have an extra head if anyone wants one.

23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

They DO look nice : I remember when H&H was marketing them as an ARDUN copy : HOWEVER the valves were in line like a single rocker shaft Cragar/Miller head, NOT a true hemi head with inclined valves(two rocker shafts). At the time I wondered if someone was actually going to make a TRUE Ardun copy for the A/B block?

24. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

25. 97

What was wrong with the one that "didn't last that long."?

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Yes, I did meet him and had several long talks with him. He did know his way around a machine shop.

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

HandH built it. 3/8" stroked B crank. broke 2 cranks in @ 1500 miles. Problem not head related.

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

MVC-338S.JPG MVC-346S.JPG

Yes, not a canted valve hemi.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Jet96 likes this.
  29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

30. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

That Ardun is a nice lookin head... but they could’ve found a way to get the valves in there at least staggered. It’s been done before...

4C1F283C-89AB-4F8D-B64F-E46043C08C7F.jpeg

And it sure makes for nice ports!
    EB791AFC-50BE-4CF2-9B65-AB1C7328AFB6.jpeg

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.