Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Honestly, Would You Pay $349 For A Club Plaque?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quick85, Aug 18, 2021.

1. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Sounds like a great business opportunity for someone with a 3D printer.

quick85 likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I spotted a license plate frame on a car at a car show. It was from the local Ford dealer that burnt down in 1963. They were only in business from 1961 until 1963 and I remember watching the fire as a kid. I really wanted that thing. A few years later, the owner recognized me at another car show and gave it to me. That made it worth a lot to me.

3. I could make you a great deal on a club plaque and a couple jackets..lol

20210819_162952.jpg 20191205_184558.jpg 20191205_184637.jpg

ZZ Top Chop, Deuces and LOST ANGEL like this.
  4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Check or USPS money order for the plaque?
    Hold on a moment, you didn't tell me how much. No lol.

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I'm getting the impression from the comments here that this is one of those things that all depends on what it is worth to you. I get a least half a dozen guys every time I vendor at a swap meet tell me about how much a car is worth in their garage or a car their son in law has and what it's worth. To be polite I don't tell them that it's only worth what someone is prepared to give you for it.

VANDENPLAS and quick85 like this.
  6. 5window

5window

Of course. And there are folks who'd weep to be offered,say, a time machine Deuce for a 1932 price, but others who wouldn't want it for anything. If you're into it, something has a value, if you're not, you don't get it. I like cars, you like dolls-heck, look a how many people like the Kardashians-something I truly don't get-or value!

7. I spend stupid amounts of money on model car kits and toys. Someone else spends it on club plaques. Someone else spends it on baseball cards. To each their own.

8. A Boner

A Boner

Probably not $349...but would pay-up for a 1950’s Century Toppers Club plaque from Waukesha Wisconsin.
    PM me!

quick85 likes this.
  9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

In answer to the question, for me NO.

quick85 likes this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You should see the club plaques that pop up in SoCal,,,
    $250 is cheap for the local and SCTA clubs
    I just missed a Hornets, Redland CA SCTA club

11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Kind of makes one want to start casting them at home and taking a load
    to swap meets. Which then begs the question, what are the odds that
    most designs have a copyright? Would most or many of them be under
    public domain?

12. 5window

5window

Given all the setup, manufacturing capabilities, inventory and historical library that O'brien Truckers have, this would be a losing proposition. https://www.obrientruckers.com/

The37Kid likes this.
  13. greener200

greener200

My dad was a member of a active club up here in Boston. About 2 months after his passing a club member left his business card at the house to call him . He wanted to know if I would sell him my dads club plaque ! He explained They had a new member that really wanted one .he complained that they are really expensive to make ,you have to order 10. Bla bla bla . The frigging guy is a MULTI MILLIONAIRE. No I would not sell it for 349.00,or any price .

14. 5window

5window

Just because you have a lot of money,doesn't mean you spend it. Maybe he's tying to conserve manufacturing resources. Maybe all his money is tied up and he owes about what he can pay. Or more. You never know about appearances. Besides, he was asking for someone else. He just asked, and you said no. But, I understand why you would want to keep your dad's plaque.

15. alchemy

alchemy

I collect any old plaques from my home town. I've run across a couple different ones owned by the original owner that I could have copies made of. It cost me a hundred or so to make a few for me and another extra for the owner as a thank you. I've never had the opportunity to buy the original though.

5window likes this.
  16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my old one from 1956. Old car club CLUTCHERS PLAQUE from 1956.jpg

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I designed this club plaque, I used my wife's hands holding a large dinner plate, then just made the hands a bit more "Hairy".

The37Kid, williebill and Beanscoot like this.
  18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my current club affiliation. DSC02193.JPG

19. 5window

5window

I'm sorry about her thumbs. :}

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have overpaid for things a time or two (or three or four) on a few rare items because I now understand that if the item I really need/want is in front of me and I have been searching for it, it costs to end the search and move on.

I can remember the few things I let slip away that were right in front of me because of the price.

One that I kick myself over is a mint condition black with gold flake Superior 500. I have never seen one since. I had the money but I waffled...

Another was a set of awesome magnesium front runners that were probably $300 too rich for me at the time and a bit above the average price... now that man's asking price would be 1k+ too low.

So, while I am not into club plaques, I wouldn't. But I would spend up for a Connecticut Dragway license plate frame. Anyone???

Just Gary, The37Kid, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  21. 5window

5window

You can get a T-shirt: https://dragstripsgone.com/product/connecticut-dragway-tee/

22. wildwest

wildwest

If I could find an original "Barons" car club plaque from Portland Or. I would probably pay a stupid price. Maybe not $350, but ? My dad was in that club in the 50's, and I have been looking for years !

23. Answer the question —-Nope.

but I have spent silly money on stuff I like .

My mom has thousands invested in those Royal Daulton plates and mugs , statues etc.

A buddy of mine had around 1/2 a million hockey cards in his collection , his basement is full !

whatever floats your boat.

I’ve spent what I consider silly money on old dealership license plate surrounds or the metal decals to put on my old cars, I like that kinda stuff, dumb for most but not for me.

tou can’t take it with you spend it on what makes you happy, car parts , booze n food , comic books and bubble gum !

The37Kid, quick85 and -Brent- like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

For myself? No. Maybe for someone who was wanting looking for “that plaque “ and I had the coin at the time.

Thinking back my old truck club plaque was “removed” at a car show. Been 40+ years and if I saw one for sale, I’d just keep walking. Now if one of my (few) old friends that I still keep in touch with from those days wanted one, it’d make a cool gift for them.

quick85 likes this.
  25. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I bought this off eBay for $299 that came off Bob Shremps 1954 Chevy custom that was Larry Watson’s first scallop job he even painted the back 100BE798-D2F6-4FBE-B19B-5ADEDA3E39F8.jpeg F3EAA386-E5DA-475B-83FB-86D94E3CED1F.jpeg 61A8D0C7-A228-4829-88C6-5ECDC19892D1.jpeg

26. Rand Man

Rand Man

I might. My Granddad cast some of them years ago. I’m looking for one called “Draggin Devils”.

27. When I was young 7-8 yrs old , my father would take me and his younger buddy David to the car markets . He would give me a few bucks and off I would go with David he would find me cool stuff for 25 -50 cents to buy .
    Here is my 17.00 license plate collection .Guess my point is buy it when you see it prices aren't coming down ...
    People thought I was nuts buying eco air meters at 250.00 Just sold my last one 2200.00 20210820_161411.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Who's got one on his car?

29. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I know this is not a club plaque, .....but maybe it is. A friend of mine picked this up. It is a 1920s Tennessee demonstrator plate ( early auto dealer). It is cut at the "s". Kinda odd that it says Demon, Maybe there was a club called the "Demons". ???????? Anybody know? 2346(1).jpg

30. JakesA

JakesA

If that is half the plate, could it read DEMONSTRATOR?
    As for paying $349 for a club plaque, well if it was genuine pre WW11, well YES indeed.