Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I give up... what are these for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AGELE55, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Maybe the idea was that as the suspension goes up the rear spring hanger goes back and up so if you push the spring hanger up it may lift the wheel faster that the rate of lifting the body??
    Or the bumper bracket is just too weak to lift the car with and Pontiac owners don't want to get under the car to place the jack. The funny thing is, my '37 Cadillac does not have them so the Cadillac owner has to get under the car. Or the Cadillac owner's driver has to get under the car. I think Cadillac just did not want to have these funny looking brackets hanging under the rear of the car.

Oh I found the info on a site "oldcarmanual.com" the have a lot of info there.

Six Ball and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Jack em up, jack em up, buddy gonna shut you down! No wait.....that was tach em up. Never mind. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

They are there for aesthetics.

6inarow and blowby like this.
  4. Silly me, I thought they were redneck wheelie bars.

HuskerNation and 6inarow like this.
  5. On really long springs,
    Without them unless you jack under the axle, can you imagine how high you would need to go to get the wheel off the ground if you jacked off the body?
    Be abit like the bloke in the pic above.

lippy likes this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Storage hooks

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Interesting concept, when you put the jack under the bracket, it would lift the car faster, and it would also lower the wheel from the body work to make it easier to get the tire out of the wheel opening.
    I've had a few cars through the years where adding extra clearance between the tire and the fender would have been helpful. Gene

Six Ball likes this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Also picking up some leverage helping the jack out and not nearly as dangerous as the bumper jacks to come.

If they'd been on Oldsmobiles Christmas Story would have been a different movie.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  9. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I don't know if it actually lowers the axle or wheel. To me it looks as though the spring is made flatter, when the rear shackle pivots up, and that keeps the wheel and axle from dropping. That helps to lift the rear axle more and not so much the whole car?

10. They're silly, cut them off.

11. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Oh, poooooo....

12. The37Kid likes this.
  13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree that the shackle being pulled rearward when the jack raises would seem to flatten/tension the rear spring. This would emulate placing a jack under the axle U bolts. It would raise the tire in the wheelwell allowing you to clear the tire free from the ground faster than a frame jack position where you have to wait for the leaf spring sag to clear the tire from the ground.

I love ingenious stuff like this!

• I'd guess it may be patented or we'd have seen the aftermarket offer it for other cars? Anyone good at patent searches?
    • I'd love to see the O/P jack up the car via two methods; a traditional frame mount jack and then the Pontiac shackle mount jack and show us two side pics and the difference (measured from bottom of frame to ground) to clear the tire tread from the ground on each method.

52HardTop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. rc57

rc57

Alright, who backed the clear car into something? Can't blame the "blind spot".
    [​IMG]

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Were they only on GM vehicles?

16. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

I admit I havent read the entire post BUT the extensions on the rear shackle are to prevent the shackle from rolling over . Meaning it could under some conditions, have the spring above the shackle mount ( its not on the frame ,its outside of it and could flip or rollover and make it lean . At least thats what I was told .

17. 37gas

37gas

that's not a clear car it's painted with base coat clear coat

seb fontana and AGELE55 like this.
  18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Tie downs used on car transporter?

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mystery was solved a long time ago.

And the springs are directly under the frame rails, with one shackle on each side. Look at the "clear car" in post #74.

gary macdonald and Budget36 like this.
  20. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Thank you . Im sure one of the spring mounts are on the outside of the frame , maybe the front but it doesn’t matter now .

21. AGELE55

AGELE55

Lol...you guys skipped a page. We solved this one on post #38.:rolleyes:

22. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

......... Post #11

<-------- '36

AGELE55 likes this.
  23. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>We solved this one on post #38.>>>

No we didn't. Everbody knows the front end of a rear wheel drive tries to go slower than the rear end. So the front end lifts up to try to go slower than the rear end. So a rear wheel drive needs antiwheelie wheels like mentioned earlier in this thread to prevent this. So here's a side by side comparison from a bulgarian car magazine of what really happens when antiwheelie wheels are used and when they are not used when they obviously should be.

wheelers.jpg

AGELE55 and Budget36 like this.
  24. AGELE55

AGELE55

Lol...somebody needs to tell squirrel. I think that’s his car.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  25. AGELE55

AGELE55

Sorry... but no vacation prize pack and barrel of cash without photographic evidence. ;)

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stunt man grab handle.......i asked Jackie Chan....now hes knows spring hangers.....im not lying....

AGELE55 likes this.