Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. catdad49

catdad49

Brian, love what you’re doing with your Vette, it’s a stunner just the way it is! The ignition shielding is nice to have, but leave it off ( the pieces down by the plugs). The skin you save will be your own!,

Stogy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Took me a minute to recall his name, but I remember Paris Fish’s quite well. It would Still be a crowd favorite wherever it went. I’m pretty sure I have any mag that it was ever in, the Way that Vettes were meant to be!

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I only ever saw it in magazines but I remember how I reacted the first time I saw it.
    That was one cool looking black hot rod Corvette wasn't it catdad!

Thor1 and catdad49 like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Sure was, Denny! I think it was called a “Street Freak” back then, all I knew was that it was (And Still Is) Freakin’ Cool.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  5. Poppinjohnnies

Poppinjohnnies

I love it! What a great find! I'm so glad you're cleaning it up, but leaving it in its original clothing.

VANDENPLAS and racer-x like this.
  6. racer756

racer756

Outstanding thread!

7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. I have been using purple power. Its like fantastic only better.

loudbang, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  9. Two boxes of parts showed up today. Things are going to start being reassembled. Now it gets fun.

OahuEli, scotty t, VANDENPLAS and 8 others like this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

That’s the kind of “unboxing” I’d like to see!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  11. Unboxing. Laying out the carpet. Im going to remove the shifter to get the two holes just right. The way all the carpet pieces line up there is not alot of room for error. It has to be mocked up before i start to glue it down. 20210822_200756.jpg

12. noboD

noboD

Don't know if you need them but I am having trouble getting window regulators. Everyone shows them in the catalogs but they are out of stock. Other door parts are back ordered too.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 20210822_182820.jpg The rear end axle straps have me baffled. I have the correct 57 length. I measured it. I have the car on the lift with two screw jacks under the rear end with the full weight of the car on them. I have ratchet straps from the frame to the rear end pulling it up as far as it will go. Even with all of this pulling the straps are not close to lining up the pre drilled rivet holes. I can get it through the loop but its still several inches short. Does anyone have any ideas?
    The front spring mount looks original. Could the rear shackles be incorrect and too long? If so what is the stock length center to center?
    Or maybe the rear springs are wrong. Something is screwed up. View attachment 5150086 View attachment 5150086 View attachment 5150086

14. Im good on the regulators.
    On the sill plate screw holes a few are stripped out. Whats the correct way to fix them?

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Did someone flip the shackles and put the rear of the spring below the rear crossmember? longer shackle would lower it...
    axlestraps.JPG

16. I wonder if the springs are wrong do to how high the car sits. It looks high in the back to me. 20210801_180952.jpg

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

are the shackles flipped??

OahuEli likes this.
  18. What year is the chassis in the pic? I dont have the bars running parallel to the springs. I need to look at the pic on a computer and not my phone to see the shackle detail.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that is a 61, but the shackles should be the same

Hamtown Al, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks high to me, but mine has 2 inch lowering blocks....
    vette2.JPG

WC145, 32SEDAN, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It looks like the shackles are flipped!

23. Thanks guys for all of the great advice. The shackles are flipped. I would assume the spring goes over the cross member. Thats going to drop the car a lot.
    Once again the power of the hamb. I had to go out to the car and look so i can sleep tonight. 20210822_212412.jpg 20210822_212452.jpg

WC145, 61Cruiser, OahuEli and 11 others like this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm kinda' diggin' the stance as it is. Personally, I would leave everything the way it is and say "To Hell" with the limiting straps. But I also understand wanting to put everything back to the way it's supposed to be. JMO.

loudbang likes this.
  25. I like a little rake but to me this looks funny. Theres way too much room between the top of the tire and the opening to the fender. I will flip it then push it outside for a good look.

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would never be one to say make it stock, because there are far too many stockers already. but it will look and handle a ton better once you get the back down

WC145, Phil P, OahuEli and 3 others like this.
  27. being a mopar guy thats used to shackles hanging down it never occured to me that they should be mounted pointing up. when i first got the car it crossed my mind that there was something funny going on. the car sat high and the shackles were visible from the back. i never paid attention to vettes but i never recalled seeing shackles hanging from them. i never gave it a second thought because i had so much else to do that was more important. it will give me something to do while i wait for more parts to arrive.

Baumi, OahuEli, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  28. Dennis D

Dennis D

May have been done to compensate for weak rear springs?

Budget36, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  29. Dennis D

Dennis D

Grind some of the old glass out and put some new pieces of mat in it.

Thor1, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Project creep will set in when you remove those rear springs. You will decide to replace the dried out bushings, and probably the shackles and bolts. Then probably the shocks and their studs. Then you might as well do the rusty springs too. Then...

Brand Apart, WC145, OahuEli and 14 others like this.