Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Want to buy a new bodyworking tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Aug 17, 2021.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'm going to buy a new bodyworking tool for my arsenal. This will surely be the one that finally makes my bodyworking skills something to be proud of. Anyway, I'm looking at getting a Surface Conditioning Tool. There are some less expensive ones and some pretty expensive ones. The wheels that go on them all look similar, so I'm wondering if they are a standard size and fit all manufacturers?
    Anybody have one they want to recommend?

Amazon SCT.jpg
    Jegs SCT.jpg
    Eastwood Contour.jpg

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  2. Looks to be an altered grinder , I have found the grinder to be to fast and put off to much heat as well ( regular grinder 11000 rpm) and have found that a drill works much better !!!

ekimneirbo likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure it is variable speed. Mine is 1-6 and they work better and get less gummed up around 3 or 4. Get the lightest one. :cool:

Chavezk21, ekimneirbo and fauj like this.
  4. Be prepared for a bunch of guys who have never used one to give their opinion on why not to buy one. It happens every time this particular tool is brought up.

5. These have been reviewed here before. The two no-names weren't mentioned and probably weren't out yet, but the Porter Cable and the Eastwood were. These are basically stripping tools, and from what I saw are only really good for removing paint and surface rust (no pitting). The drums aren't all that cheap and you do need to make sure they're not proprietary to just that brand, which was the case for the Eastwood and Porter Cable. The review is here...

These struck me personally as a solution looking for a problem.

fauj, Just Gary, 302GMC and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an Eastwood Contour and really like what I can do with it but it is a bit on the heavy side. It worked better on paint and light surface rust than on serous rust though. I took a surface rusted fender on my OT car that had had the factory new fender shipping coating on it for way too many miles down to bare shiny metal in about five minutes and had it ready to wipe down for primer.

This is my Eastwood contour on the passenger door that I am going to stretch for my 48's stretch cab.

Second shot is after working on it with that drum that was on the contour for about 1 minute at most.

Third shot is a close up and my vertical cut line will be just inside of those dents. It does a nice job but with it's weight you do get a workout. Best thing is that it doesn't gouge the metal. IMG_2404 (2).JPG IMG_2405.JPG IMG_2406.JPG

LAROKE and ekimneirbo like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

be sure to let us know how it works out!

ekimneirbo and fauj like this.
  8. evintho

evintho

If it's just for stripping paint, all you need are a few of these strip discs..........
    Blackhawk strip discs

I'm getting ready to strip the paint down to bare metal on my '54. I heard about these composite discs so I bought a cheap one at HF just to try it out. Slapped it on my 4" angle grinder and it took it down to bare metal in seconds! No heat! Just ordered the above strip discs and that should be enough for the entire car. You'll get the same workout with your angle grinder as you would with the Eastwood tool but you'll have an extra $200 in you wallet!

9. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As others have stated, the Eastwood SCT Contour is good for stripping paint and light rust but won't remove deep rust. Use the aggressive 21970 drum to strip paint and filler. I haven't found the interleaf or flap drums to be that useful for anything other than removing scratches.

10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Im in the Blackhawk corner , besides being on a cheap or good four inch grinder , its easier to guide the shit blowing off to where you want it.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Same here Blackhawk disc or equivalent...

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I use these and I also have smaller ones for my die grinder

ekimneirbo likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a somewhat similar pneumatic Snap-On tool called the "crud thug". Kind of useless.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thanks to everyone for the responses. The video from Crazy Steve was very good. :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I looked up the 21970 and they are normally $50 each. How long do they last ? Most of the other ones are less expensive, but thats pretty steep if they don't last a long time. I don't mind paying the extra bucks for a quality tool, but I don't want to it to be one of those situations like ink for printers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I bought 1 from Eastwood It is alright I was kinda disappointed in it I would not buy it if I had tried 1 1st

ekimneirbo likes this.
  17. The cost of the drums was one of the deal-breakers for me. Now, it appears that the Jegs and Amazon versions may use the same drums which might produce some price competition but I'm very gunshy about tools that use proprietary consumables. I've thrown away a couple of tools in the past because the tools/supplies went off the market for whatever reason.

I will say that I love 'surface conditioning' abrasives for non-aggressive material removal; they're the very best I've found for prepping aluminum for polishing, reducing prep time over sanding by half at least. And there's a huge variety of discs available for more 'generic' tools that IMO will do pretty much the same job as these specialty tools for much less $$.

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I thought this was just a glorified afro disc (polycarbonate) tool with expensive consumables. And it might be. But I have a couple friends of mine who do some really high end paint and body work, and they swear by Eastwood SCT. When the time comes for me to do some real metal work, I'll buy one and give it a shot.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  19. Useless…throw a 3M clean and strip Disc on an angle grinder and call it good
    F2D65662-881C-4228-868E-6A809F5E7B34.jpeg

20. 3-4 hours ,couple of 3m disks and my drill and the whole car is done , drill works better than the grinder and not as much mess .Most times I will remove the paint with a razor blade and just deal with the primer .Can strip the paint with a razor in a few hours
    Much rather deal with flakes than dust in the shop especially ..

21. LAROKE

LAROKE

I've had my Eastwood model for some time now and am happy with it. I've found other uses for it as well (When you have a new hammer, everything looks like a nail). One of the features that may differentiate it from a cheaper version is that when you hit the start button, it comes up to speed gradually. You don't have to worry about torque tearing it out of your hands. Top speed is also limited like a buffer as opposed to a grinder.

ekimneirbo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've stripped two quarters, two fenders, hood, valence and tag panel. It's still hanging in there. I'm gonna guess it will last about one whole car.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

ekimneirbo likes this.
  24. If it’s half as good as the videos then I’d give one a shot.

LWEL9226 and ekimneirbo like this.
  25. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I picked up the Eastwood one a few years ago, The drums form Amazon fit fine they are slightly larger and come close to rubbing on the guard but work fine. I haven't used it for any body work yet and don't know that it would be that useful. I works great for stainless and aluminum fab work when trying to blend in a brushed finish.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Call me ol'School... But an 8" with a box of 40 / 80 grit depending how crappy the finish is...
    Plus if you've never used one to make shit flat... You will be amazed!! Haven't used my airboard in decades... Except onc KIMG9338.JPG e in awhile in a tight spot...

milwscruffy, ekimneirbo and texasred like this.
  27. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

My step dad was a body man for 50 yrs and swore by 1 of these. He used a board file too but 85% of his work was done with a 8" sander.

Said the same thing too, you could make anything flat with it.... And he did too. Always impressed me with how he could manipulate it.

Did some amazing body work with just that and fast too, sadly I never picked that skill up.

ekimneirbo and Hollywood-East like this.
  28. Magfiend

Magfiend

I have had the Eastwood SCT for a few years, bought it to refinish stainless commercial coffee brewers and, with practice, it can mimic a decent #4 brushed finish. I also bought a bunch of the other drums but haven't tried too many out. I'll have to look into the Amazon copies as well...

ekimneirbo likes this.
  29. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a cheapo one off Ebay for about $80. Replacement drums are about $20. I got it for final finishing of patch panels etc and was principally inspired by Flops amazing work. Previously I couldn't remove marks from the surface without feeling as if I was thinning away the metal with the DA sander. This machine does it with ease. It also makes very short work of any surface rust that might have developed. My metalworking skills aren't necessarily improved by it but the much improved appearance of work done give me a warm fuzzy feeling which is more than worth the price of the machine. And it's also inspiring me to improve my metal bashing skills. Oh, and it removes the polished finish that the shrinking disc makes much easier than the DA does.

Chris

warhorseracing, chiro and ekimneirbo like this.
  30. 37gas

37gas

looks like a shortcut for lazy people.

Lone Star Mopar and ekimneirbo like this.