Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cherry Bomb vs Thrush

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpazTaztic, Oct 23, 2009.

1. 1933 willys 77 that is exactly what I need in 2.5 inch. I'm running a bbc 427/435hp engine thats been hopped up. I think I'm going to need the 2.5 inch. Thanks for the heads up on these. I do appreciate it. If anyone finds what I'm looking for please pm me. I'm doing a car that has a very narrow window for era specific after market parts. I'm trying real hard to make the car just like I had it in high school.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Here’s the thing about Cherry Bombs. They’ve been disturbing the peace since 1968.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

SlamIam, 40FORDPU, Budget36 and 6 others like this.
  3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Old Farts like me remember back in the 60's one of the best sounds came from the Walker Blue Continentals,not sure if Walker still makes any the same exact way. But here's a picture from ebay there are several listings. 1-oops.jpg

Blue One, Elcohaulic and bowie like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Haven't seen any of those Thrush cans anywhere but eBay in several years. One of my Uncles had a set of those on a 63.5 Galaxie with a 427 in it, full pipes out the rear. Sounded great. First mufflers i bought were Hush Thrush ovals, basically a copy of the Corvair turbo mufflers, they were quiet at idle but woke up at speed. Last few I've done I used Flow Tech Red Hots, basically a Cherry Bomb painted dark red. Same sound, lots cheaper.

Good luck on finding the Thrush cans. You might have to buy one at a time to get a set. They turn up on eBay fairly often.

5. I will find some eventually.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. nikrnic66

nikrnic66

If you find those vintage Thrush blue cans chances are they won't be the size you want and will be very expensive. I'd like them myself but not going to pay 2 or 300. each like the few I've seen on Ebay.

7. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I run HP2, hush power. Stainless steel, 400 series which is magnetic. Very nice sound, deep and low. No rasp or snap on my 9.5:1 352. 2.25" duals. Flowmaster (Holley) bought the hush power line a few years ago. They are a bit spendy, but have that packed muffler tone, without the snap which I dont care for.

I've put a lot of glass packs (cherry bomb) on. I really like the HP2s better.

nikrnic66 and Paulz like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

Cherry Bombs... Disturbing the peace since 1968... :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    SlamIam, Budget36 and WB69 like this.
  9. Look at powersticks…love the way my Falcon sounds

10. Paulz

Paulz

I tried a few different cheap glass packs on my truck and couldn't find anything that had the sound I was after, even tried some of those auger inserts in combination with the glass packs (which sounded ok, but seriously choked the engine). So I finally bit the bullet and bought some 2.5" Hp2s. Lot of money, but they have the sound I was after and fit the space I had available. 11:1 463 Pontiac.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Ran the short Thrush mufflers with turn downs directly off the headers on a 428 Hemi Roadrunner. Same setup on a very cammed up 455 Buick Gran Sport Stage I. The sound was awesome on both. Sure created a dust storm on dirt or gravel roads though. Have a set of the Cherry Bombs on a 59AB flathead that has a low rumble, nothing loud or obnoxious.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I really think the compression has most to do with the sound of an engine.

Heck even my OT bangers with 11:1 sound angrier than my worn out smog 350 in an old 1 ton I have. A good healthy high compression engine has a lot of snap in the exhaust. That's why I think flatheads can sound so good on much less exhaust than something with more squeeze.

Deuces and Just Gary like this.
  13. big john d

big john d
    from ma

thrush 1967 $12 plus court costs

Center of the Galaxie and Deuces like this.
  14. Truckedup

Truckedup

Thrush and Cherry bombs, off topic noise makers, eh? ;):D Loud is not always a quality sound..

Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I'll second the use of band clamps. I use red high temp rtv and slide the clamp over.

Very nice for those places like around the transmission where you can drop a section of exhaust out for removal.

Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  16. Butch M

Butch M

i have purple hornies on my 55 chevy

17. You can still buy them…
    1C3AD9DE-CD1F-479D-96DA-D36764D4A76C.jpeg

18. I just got a warning with a notice to appear with it fixed. The steel wool I jammed up the tail pipes to quiet things down lasted long enough for the cop to sign off on it. :cool:

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  19. I sure do.:D
    I used them on my first ever build here in the UK way back in 1974.
    I bought them at the 74 Street Rod Nat's in StPaul and carried them back to the UK as hand luggage.

fullsizeoutput_457.jpeg fullsizeoutput_458.jpeg

HAPPY DAYS

Ive used Cherry bombs on my 1923 Centre Door model "T", & My 29 Tudor and & 27 "T" Coupe
    I really like them

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Max Gearhead, Blues4U, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one time, at band clamp...

nitrohonkey and Just Gary like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did someone say Purple Hornies?
    1974, I put them on my Malibu bracket racer so I could drive to the track for the first time.
    These were the first style with the large collector stub before they got "neutered", the rearend had 5.38's, what a sweet rumble!

65 Chevelle drag car.jpg

22. Geoff Dowson

Geoff Dowson

Try Black Widow mufflers. crisp clean no drone, but a touch too loud for my 36