Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1939-1940 Ford parts - Worth selling or send to the crusher?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robinson, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Robinson

Robinson

Hello! I have not contributed much to this site lately (sorry), but I have learned from everyone’s posts and comments over the years.

I am hoping that someone who knows about 1939-1940 Ford suspension, engine and transmission parts can give me some advice! I want to either sell, give away or trash some spare parts, but I'm not sure what is worthless and what might be used by a restorer or traditional hot rodder.

My Dad and I acquired a 1939 Ford Coupe Deluxe a few years ago with LOTS of extra parts. We plan on keeping the complete car and a few spare pieces, but we don’t have anywhere to keep the stuff that we don’t need. We really don’t want to haul this stuff to the crusher if someone can use it. Some of it is probably worthless, but some of the suspension parts look pretty good. Lots of surface rust because it sat outside. I am posting photos of the pile of stuff because we have not organized it. We are not looking to make a bunch of money, but if some of it is worth something, we would ask a very fair price. We are located in Western North Carolina and would prefer not to ship anything because of the heavy weight of the pieces. If interested, study the photos closely. I’ve tried to make a short list as a guide.

6 or 7 banjo rear axles and suspension pieces
    2 or 3 top-loader transmissions
    Flathead intakes and heads
    Flathead alternators
    4 or 5 torque tubes
    Knee action shocks
    2 Radiators
    Fans
    Cranks
    Gears
    Exhaust manifolds
    Oil pans
    And, probably other stuff that I’ve missed.

Sorry, no front brakes, spindles, front axles, glass, wheels, or body pieces available. I know that this is what most guys look for, but what we have is on the car already. Thanks for any advice!

warbird1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It all has value to somebody looking to restore, or repair an original car. The issue is they're mostly large heavy parts, so shipping costs can be a deal breaker. But if you have any local swap meets coming up, I'd buy a space and put it all out to sell. If your prices aren't crazy it should sell.
    Or put it all on Craigslist, and see what kind of response you get locally.

3. Robinson

Robinson

Thanks, we have tried to sell a few pieces locally, but there isn’t much interest around where I live for ‘39 Fords! Asking around on here is my last resort.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Robinson, Where are you in NC? I'm in Cleveland, TN about an hour from Murphy, NC if the traffic is right on Route 74. I'd be interested in the tranny's which, if they are full of water, are currently worth about $10 per hundredweight as scrap. PM me and tell me what you think they are worth.

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. What about @Nailhead Jason ?
    He lives in central VA & has a '39 sedan. :cool:

lothiandon1940 and alanp561 like this.
  6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

They don’t make those parts any more.
    Don’t scrap them.

7. Take them to Charlotte Autofair. They will buy anything there.

8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

what are you thinking the stuff is worth?

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sell it all for $100 and be happy unless you have a strong back and
    don't mind lugging that stuff around and around and around.

Budget36, seb fontana and X38 like this.
  10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Those axle tubes were often used for jack stands. I dont know how stable they may or may not be? Have to be as good as some of the death trap stands I see
    now. If you were closer I would buy a few pairs and see what I could come up with. Also the torque tubes were and are still used for exhaust components.
    Very traditional stuff you have on hand there. Repurpose man, its all the rage these days!

11. I see a 35/36 rear radius rod look around and you may find the mate. These are worth something in todays market.
    Good luck.
    Thomas

51 mercules likes this.
  12. Take the parts to the Charlotte swap meet, you want get rich but the parts have some value. HRP

13. Robinson

Robinson

All very helpful suggestions and advice. I'm still not sure how to price this stuff, but I'm working on it.
    I'm not sure yet.

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I can see one part I can really use, too bad you’re not closer :oops:

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd take a couple of those flathead alternators....

16. atch

atch

Are you a member of the Ford Barn? Since your items are all (I think) original equipment I'm thinking that those folks might have more interest in acquiring some of those parts. You might even find someone who would like to make a deal to take it all.

Here are the Ford Barn want ad rules as posted by Ryan:

Hey fellas... Here are some preliminary rules for us all to abide by. I'm sure these will change in time, but they will at least get us going.

1. All ads must have a price.

2. Ads may only be "bumped to the top" once every three days.

3. This is not a discussion forum. Please limit replies to ads to constructive questions only.

4. 5 Ads per day max - first post or 3 day bump to be fair to fellow Classified sellers.

5, Titles for sale or wanted are prohibited.

I don't see anything about a minimum post count so it looks like you could join today and immediately post your pieces for sale. Rule 4 states 5 ads per day, but you can lump all of these pieces into one post if you want. Others do so on a regular basis.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is no part on a 39 - 40 Ford that someone is not looking for. same with any Ford or Chevrolet in that timeframe. I parted a 51 and 53 Chevrolet, no useable part went unsold. I got over 3 grand from each car and the good stuff like grilles and fenders and glass were not with the car at all. I had hundreds of listings and I probably could have sold the cat turds in the trunk if I wanted to. they don't make old cars anymore.

18. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You seem conflicted--do you just want them to find a good home with minimal effort, or do you want maxium value?

If you want maximum value, you have to put a whole lot of time into research, verifying the condition of your parts (open those transmissions!), and bringing each individual piece to market. Which market you use also makes a difference--value online to a global audience is higher than local value at a swap meet, which higher than "I-give-up-get-it-out-of-here" value at a garage sale. Selling anything for full value is hard work--people make a living at it.

On the other hand, if you just want them to find a good home and not go to scrap, post your pics to the Hamb classifieds with something like, "$250: must take all--local pickup only." Somebody will buy them and put in the work needed to get maximum value. A guy might get a fair amount out of that pile... and spend a couple years doing it.

You'll notice nobody here has given you any specific values. Not surprising. Without examining in person, parts are a pig in a poke--for example, that complete toploader could be worth hundreds, or could be worthless.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  19. adam401

adam401

In the transmission pile theres a double detent top trans which indicates a 39 transmission. Somebody here will want that. The more of those you have, the more of those you'll easily sell

20. Where are you located in NC? Charlotte Area? Myself and my Club brothers all look for that stuff. They are all in NC and I am in VA. If your serious about wanting all the extras gone. DM me here, I can make you a lump offer on everything you want to get rid of in one swoop.

Just Gary, TA DAD and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I live near Charlotte - the spring AutoFair is the easy place to sell your items. I have street rods - or I would be a buyer of sheet metal and trim parts.