Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hurst mid mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Read a ton of threads on hurst front mounts needing a mid mount. Ordered a set of these brackets from speedway that mount between the bellhousing and block. Don’t like the gap it creates, was thinking of modifying them to bolt to the outside of the bellhousing. Should I have any concerns with that? Picture of the brackets I’m referencing in mock-up

891804A9-291D-4319-86E0-1C40B1402226.jpeg

2. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I thought those were meant to go outside the bellhousing??

That's how I'd run them, along with longer dowel pins so those are engaged into the mouting plate too.

You just have to support the motor some other way when you service anything in the flywheel area is all, since you'd have to pull the ears off to remove the bellhousing.

Budget36 and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. It might take some grinding and some custom fabbed spacer's, but it should work. Longer dowel's too, as Ericnova72 suggested.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

agree, I thought they went on the outside but no way in heck how they are. I’ve read several other threads and seen pictures of people mounting them in between. I started cutting and grinding on one to fit on the outside, a lot of material needs to be removed. If I can’t may then work I’ll just fab up something else with a similar concept

5. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

There’s a recent post on here talking about the same thing. I had some fanned when I had my engine and trans installed, there’s some pics in that posts. Mine bolt on the back of the bellhousing .

6. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

They go between the block and the scattershield . Round track cars run a side mount, those mounts and no rear trans mount. With a automatic trying to put them on the outside is a problem because so much of the case is in the way.

jaw22w and lake_harley like this.
  7. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Do you have pics of what you came up with?

8. 37gas

37gas

I worked in NASCAR for years and we put them between the block and bell housing to hold up the back of the engine when you had to change a clutch. On my hot rod I put a hydraulic throw out bearing in and used the mid mounts to make up part of the deference you need to set up the bearing. the air gap between the block and bell housing seamed a good place to let the clutch vent. Been there for 10 years

9. So if the brackets are installed between the trans and the block.... What else needs to be done to compensate for this additional space?

On an automatic for example does the torque converter need shims?, special spacers? other?

10. lake_harley

lake_harley

Just to be sure the torque converter fully engages the front pump of the trans, you'd want a spacer between the flex plate and the torque converter the same thickness as the "batwings".....probably 1/4".

Lynn

427 sleeper likes this.
  11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Have them on my coupe @Barbarian for my 409 with Hurst style front engine mount. They bolt on the outside as a couple guys stated. I just made sure I used longer bolts so they snugged all the way down like the other ones. The mid mount is a must if you're running the front mount style and an aluminum body tranny

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've been curious about this since I got my '56 Vette a year ago. It has front engine mounts and a tailshaft mount, no mid mount like the passenger cars. It has an iron 3 speed but in '57 I think the 4 speeds came out, aluminum I presume.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I just saw a guy yesterday online who put tabs on his trans, mounted solid to vertical angle iron welded to the frame. Any concerns with it being mounted solid, or is rubber needed?

14. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

The transmission mount on the tailshaft always needs to be rubber.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  15. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Yea, we are talking mid mounts here. The rear was rubber. The mid mount was solid mounted without rubber.

16. lake_harley

lake_harley

At best, mounting any motor mount solid is going to transfer vibration into the chassis. Solid mounted engines are common on dedicated race cars, but for something that's going to be driven on the street I think the nod would go to some sort of mount that had some give. Over time I would expect that solid engine/transmission mounts would cause something to crack or break.

Lynn

17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I used poly bushings on my mid mount. My set up is the front mounts, the mid mount and the tranny tail mount all with proper poly/rubber. Vibration is minimal and I know the whole set up is solid with no weak points. over build and then you don't run into issues.

Tman likes this.
  18. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Do you have pictures of what your mid mount looked like?

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

looked through my file on the build and I couldn't locate any

20. Budget36

Budget36

Can you massage the BH area where they are to bolt to on the block, to bolts them on the BH ? Little off here, little off there?

21. BTTT Any more pics?

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

every first generation corvette has a factory front mount and a tailhousing mount. I drive mine like I don't have a nickel in it and there are no problems

bowie and olscrounger like this.
  23. Trying to decide if I want to use up my Hurst mount that has been kicking around forever and do a mid mount or just swap to side mounts since it is a later block

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I am in the camp that mid mounts are not needed based on first generation corvettes not having them....

427 sleeper, olscrounger and Tman like this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any reason not to just run a 1/8th" steel mid plate like drag cars use? You can "leg off" of it to padded frame mounts and alleviate any worry. Trim it to some kool shape where it shows, have some surface area for lines or wires that looks neat. Add 1/8th washers between the convertor and flex plate if that too is a worry. On a clutch not sure, never did it. Didn't early Chevy V8 trucks run bell housings with mid mounts? I hate to see easy stuff complicated but maybe I missed a detail here...?

26. I am thinking that as well. This is in an AD pickup with an auto so it will be well hidden.

And yes, I do have a couple of the truck bellhousings with mid mounts.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.