Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preparing For The Future

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Just so long as I can still log on with my trusty Etch-a-Sketch, I won't complain.

You kids get off my lawn!!

2. so much information here. it would a huge loss if it were to go away. without the ford group, I would have never been able to know where to get parts and/or how to get my wagon back together. PLEASE find a way to keep us active. Thank you so very much, in advance.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Like I said, I will take another look... and so long as it isn't really expensive, make a change to my plans. Keep in mind, social groups get a tiny amount of traffic.

Pageviews last month on jalopyjournal.com: 25,134,555
    Pageviews on social groups last month: 1,896

Typically, I wouldn't mind and don't concern myself too much with pageviews, but social groups as they stand are expensive and a pain in the ass. They never took off on forums and as such, there isn't much out there to help manage them from a software standpoint.

All that being said, I'll figure something out to at least keep some of the people happy.

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My computer is so old, it's coal powered:eek:

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Please keep us advised us 1952-59 Ford Social Group members don't want to lose our home we have loved since 2009 if all else fails maybe you could get Fordbarn to adopt us ?

Rui, Kustomline54, hillbilly and 2 others like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well I joke about it, but the trend with software bloat, ya hafta have the latest and greatest hardware, or nothing works right, eventually. Backwards compatibility should always be kept in mind, except it isn't.

Whenever I see "We've Improved the Login Experience!" on a website, that just means what worked for the last 15 years just fine, ain't gonna work no more. I don't need any "improved experiences", get right down to it. Unless she's got big jugs or something I don't care. :)

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have no internal need to make change for change sake. I would much rather not spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours updating the site's software, etc...

The thing is though, if I want to continue hanging my hat on privacy and taking care of my user's data, I have to keep this joint in a position that makes it harder to compromise than any other site with as much data as we have.

Point is, change is often very necessary. And while you might not have an understanding of the nuts and bolts behind it all, you should at least trust those that do... And hell, I have much more motive to keep this thing alive than anyone else. It is, after all, pretty much my life's work.

8. Jim, your more than welcome to join the Old Farts social group

Stogy likes this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a thought...but what if you added the Social Forums to the "Misc" column (similar to Antiquated)? That way, folks could start social forum threads and they could also use "Search in this forum" function to find their favorite threads.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's the basic issue:

Social forums were a VB feature that I custom coded to import into Xenforo. Essentially, each social forum is a regular old forum with custom privacy settings.

This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it becomes one because we have so many... Most of them have very little content in them, but each still slows down and handicaps the search engine... which isn't all that great to begin with.

On top of that, moderating them is very hard and time consuming. Part of the hack to get them working was to be able to give regular users admin rights so that they can moderate their own social forums. That was fine at first, but when users go away and don't moderate - these unused social forums get stacked with spam... This spam hurts my revenue because it devalues the quality of the traffic I get on the main forum.

On top of that, the good data that is in social forums is very hard for regular people to get to... Finding content that is buried so deep is an almost impossible task.

From my perspective, I can't really think of a positive for social groups other than a small minority really likes the insulation they provide.

vintage56, fauj, Paul and 1 other person like this.
  11. I would have deleted the South Dakota group years ago but it did not work in the tools.

Stogy likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I joined one of the "shoebox" Ford social groups and didn't get much from it. I won't mis 'em.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Sounds to me like social groups are mostly being used as off topic forums for stuff that doesn't belong on the HAMB.

Hnstray, Moriarity, twenty8 and 2 others like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Make it easy on yourself. No one likes change.
    Guys will be looking back on this version in 10 years, like the old Pokémon version of the hamb.

15. I think it’s a cost versus return thing,,,,why spend money needlessly ?
    This is after all a free site for us,,,right ?

Now I’m certain the moderators are paid thousands of dollars a month,,,otherwise,,why would they live with trying to herd a million cats into line every day,,,,LoL .
    Just kidding guys,,,,,

Personally,,,,,this is a great place to come to because of Ryan,,,,and the moderators.
    There are even some that come on here knowing the information they need is OT,,,,but there is an abundance of talent here .
    I feel like an idiot half of the time,,,,,there are guys here a whole lot smarter than I am .
    And I also think about the ones that have already past away ,,,,and their insight is lost,,,we only have their old threads and post .
    I believe that a lot of young guys are looking for answers,,,,and want to keep up with the old ways,,,,,they just need some help and guidance.

Ryan,,,,you do whatever you need to do !

Like old Chief Dan George said,,,,,,,Endeaver to persevere!
    ( That’s one of my favorite lines from Josey Wales,,,,LoL ) .

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Chicster, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ryan.Thanks for the heads up.And also Thank you for a great site.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

hillbilly and Stogy like this.
  17. This is all way above my technical knowledge, but it seems like if all of the "dead" or comatose social forums were culled out, the remaining few active ones wouldn't be a drag on the system. Like I said, it's way above my skill level. I think we all appreciate the tremendous effort that goes into keeping this entire endeavour secure and running smoothly. Thanks for that............Don.

18. Just like with Landracing.com and other boards, too many sub forums make for a diluted final product. I had no idea guys were posting projects in the social forums? And while it was fun, Denise's kitchen remodel is pretty far OT.
    Nuke em all

19. orangedog

orangedog

I'm relatively new to the 52-59 Social Forum. About a year and a half ago I found my retirement project, a 54 Club Coupe. I'm only 2 years older than it is. I did a lot of searching for information. When I found the 52-59 group I discovered more information on one site than I could ever hope to find. I haven't posted much because I've found the answers to most of my questions in the FAQs. It would be a shame to loose this, but I understand the trails of keeping something like up and running.

20. LAROKE

LAROKE

Same here but at least Danny will be off the hook :D

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ryan...I'm computer savvy...but this is above my heed but I understand it is part of keeping things stable and a step above the Crooked Bastards...

Giver!!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

Just don't discuss the modern bits and trim your photos.

Tman likes this.
  23. Bring it on! I know I can do it. I got rid of my flip phone last year and now using my Apple 12 mini. :rolleyes:
    Ryan I have to say this site is the best and easiest to navigate. Do what you need to, I’m here to stay.:cool:

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

My thought as well.

25. If the 52-59 Ford social group goes away it will be very disappointing. :mad:

Rui, Texas57, Kustomline54 and 3 others like this.
  26. Shucks, I barely qualify as Hamb Friendly. Now I have a question. I hear about the Main Board. Is that what we are on now.

Ben

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't have a clue how social groups work on the HAMB nor do I see the need.
    Isn't that why other forums exist, you know like the one where people feel a need to post photos of what they are eating at the trendy cafes, or showing off their newest tatoo.
    Sounds like many of the "social" HAMB members are getting the benefit of being HAMB members without offering benefits to the rest of us, kind of like joining just to have access to the HAMB classifieds (I know, Ryan has no issues with that).
    We (I), have survived the past upgrades and I'm sure we will adjust to the new ones.
    Thanks all for what you contribute.

firstinsteele and K13 like this.
  29. Thank you.

Ben

30. A Boner

A Boner

This site is in the future now, compared to most sites! An update seems like a great idea, coming from you, for sure.