Register now to get rid of these ads!

Preparing For The Future

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Preparing For The Future

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I really dig the new format over on GJ! Losing the social groups is no real big deal, I haven't used mine in years.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm not a computer geek. Will I have a struggle with the new system like I did when you changed to what we have now?

Lil32 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

He said nothing drastic....so you should be OK....

The previous change was drastic.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for watching out for us. Most of us have a hard time just figuring out how to get to this site. Our "modern" thoughts are ancient to most others. As you know, will have to remind us about all of this again when you are ready to flip the "modern" switch

6. If anything I have found it more user friendly. Slide over to the garagejournal.com and see for yourself.

LWEL9226 and Tim like this.
  7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh crap...us old guys hate "change":mad:
    I know it's what's best for the HAMB and it will probably improve the site immensely, but it's still "change" for us "too lazy to learn something new" old guys ;)
    Geez, I guess I can now add "whiney" to my fat, balding and cranky "old guy" credentials:eek:;)

8. silent rick

silent rick

just curious to know what the top 5 busiest or most actice social groups were

9. I know I use the MD and VA sites for local event info and their classifieds. I’m sure the other states use them the same way. The traffic isn’t what it used to be but still a great resource.

10. Definitely going to miss the HAMB Chapel.

11. Well better is always good. Unlike the cars that we drive our forum needs to keep up with technology. I am sure that most of us can figure it out and we can help those who don't think that they can.

Thanks @Ryan and gang for keeping us cutting edge.

12. I completely understand that most of the social forums are dead and have been dead, but a few are very active. As @wraymen mentioned above, the Virginia and Maryland groups are very active and well utilized. Is there any way to keep any of the more active ones while eliminating ones that have had no activity for years?

13. Fordors

Fordors

It’s a tough job @Ryan , but somebody has to do it. Seriously, thanks for all you do, we appreciate it.

14. I, for one, haven't been on the main board in years but am on the 52-59 Ford page every day. Because my car has modern parts I can't discus it on the main page.
    I will miss the HAMB.

15. It's probably just a familiarity issue, but I prefer this format over the new GJ.

dirty old man and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. OK, I'll be the whiner....

I get some of this. I did a quick 'survey' of all the social clubs and I could only find 16 forums that show recent posts, so there's a lot of dead weight. I personally belong to 7 forums, and only 2 have had any recent activity to speak of which was a bit disappointing, some of them it's been years since the last post. But the 2 have been useful, I check those regularly. The 'active' forums break down like this; 5 'clubs', 2 'makes', 5 'geographical', and 4 'uncategorized'. The 'clubs' could go away. Any active club that can't manage it's own webpage... well, they must be pretty lame. The 'geographical' would be a loss to me, but I can live with that. One of the 'uncategorized' forums is basically a tech forum and I'd hate to see that one disappear. Same goes for the 2 'makes' forum. One of those, the '54-59 Ford owners is popular and a great resource for those guys. The other is the 'A D' forum, maybe the same deal. This site is about the collective knowledge, and any loss of that knowledge is a bad thing.

If they all have to go away, can anybody explain how I could archive the tech forum for my personal use? Is that possible?

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looking forward to it

Tman likes this.
  18. Will all the post on the main boards disappear? and is there any way of saving the tech threads on the 52-59 Ford Social group? -this is a extremely active group and a lot of guys building cars within this group will not be able to post on the main board due to playing outside the 65 cut off, I'm afraid this will alienate some members.

Like i said this group is pretty active with 8,852 Discussions and 80,723 Posts. HRP

19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Being the HAMB is advancing does this mean LS powered hotrods...LOL...

lake_harley likes this.
  20. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, I appreciate your attention in keeping our information safe and secure. For that reason, I happily renew my Alliance Membership every year. I also suggest everyone else to do the same. Such is the old adage "you get what you pay for" Free Apps can only do so much.

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I founded the 1952-59 Ford Group on the H.A.M.B. in May of 2009 we are probably one of the most active Groups it is a shame to get kicked to the curb. Every day I go to other sites on the web to recruit new members which over the years has been very successful,I guess we will be looking for a new home too bad we couldn't find a new home on Fordbarn as we have built a HUGE reference and DIY the "Sticky Faq" file that has been a major help to a lot of folks over the years. Sad it has come to this !:(:(

22. I can appreciate the need for change and also understand that the majority of the social groups have become pretty stagnant over the past few years. However, like others have mentioned already, I am in a couple social groups that aren't completely dead and sure hate to lose that feature. Any ideas for a way to use some new functionality to retain some of what we would be losing without social groups would be appreciated. Also, good point on the alliance membership. I need to get that renewed soon since I am currently a freeloader here. :oops:

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Hate to see the OFC go away.

24. Fairlane 62

Fairlane 62

Ditto, I access the 52-59 Ford group almost daily, as well as some others less frequently.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody understands a fraction of what's behind the HAMB curtain other than you. Doesn't take a genius to see this ^^^ is true. Like many others have said (or will say) . . . we are blessed to live under such a benevolent despot as you! Long live the HAMB!

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, goodbye Calendar Girls.

26 T Ford RPU and LAROKE like this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK... I think I've heard enough to re-address social groups. I don't much like disappointing folks. I'll see what I can do.

The37Kid, fordsbyjay, Rui and 33 others like this.
  28. Sweet! Thanks Ryan! And, I just renewed my Alliance Membership, so am no longer a free-loader here...

29. I'm confused, so when is another volume of the Jalopy Journal coming out in print??

guthriesmith likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

could you add another forum that's called "old social groups", lump it all together, and let them have at it? Then it would operate just like the other forums, and not cause back end trouble?

drdave, 41 GMC K-18, fauj and 2 others like this.