Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevy V-8 Lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modifieddriver, Aug 6, 2021.

1. I thought I was pretty smart about SBC engines, but I've got a question I need answered.

I have a set of mechanical lifters for an off road Z-28 camshaft I ran 20+ years ago. Looking into the lifter from the top where the push rod goes there's no clip retainer like you see with a hydraulic lifter. Push in with a push rod and it's solid!!

Then I have a complete set of 3-4 year old Comp Cams hydraulic lifters with the clip retainer. Push on these and it moves.

Then I have two sets lifters, the brand I'm not sure of. Both sets have the clip retainer. But when you push on these, there's no movement. They act like a solid lifter.

So, the question is, did they produce solid lifters with the clip retainer? Or could these be anti-pump up Rhoads style lifters?

All have the hole on the lifter side to get oil through to the push rod.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Rhodes lifters just leak down faster than normal hydraulic lifters. They don't act solid.

I have one solid lifter for a Chevy, it has a retainer in it.

3. no they don't. Solids do not need a clip there are no moving parts. just buy yourself a good set of solids and some cam break in lube. Or if you have your originals and know what lobe that they ran on just screw it together and run with it.

DO NOT RUN HYDRAULICS ON THAT CAM!!!!!!!

Your other option is to get that cam to me. I have been looking for one and I am a cheap bastard. :oops::oops::oops::eek::D

Tutashen, Elcohaulic, Saxman and 2 others like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

759401AF-A717-4763-9DD5-ED499F8C5786.jpeg

Here’s a Chevy solid lifter, I don’t remember what brand but it may have been a Melling or TRW.
    The flat disc with the small hole is called a piddle valve, its purpose is to limit the amount of oil passing to the pushrod. There is no movement of the pushrod cup when assembled, but I can hear the piddle rattle when I shake the lifter.

5. Fordors

Fordors

[QUOTE="squirrel, post: 14153172, member: 3595]

I have one solid lifter for a Chevy, it has a retainer in it.[/QUOTE]

Oddly I just have this one solid laying around too. No idea why I have it or got it but its been here for 50+ years.

Deuces likes this.
  6. All the Mopar lifters I have that are solid are made this way now .
    I have several sets from maybe 10-12 years ago,,,they have the clip and hardened insert to act as a solid .
    I decided to remove one to double check,,,yep,,,solid .

Now,,,,my Mopar hydraulic lifters look identical,,,but have the hydraulic guts inside .
    I guess it was more cost effective to make one lifter body,,,,and just have a different top ?
    I bought several sets of both hydraulic and solid some time ago,,,,,I’m glad I did now.
    They are much more expensive now and I know the quality is good on my older ones .

Tommy

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I know why I have one solid lifter. It's so I can degree hydraulic lifter cams. And check valve to piston clearance

8. Fordors

Fordors

EC453B41-E101-4ED6-AA9F-EBD5D56C31E6.jpeg

I have a couple of old gutted hydraulics with 5/8” dowels surface ground flat for the same purpose.

9. saltracer219

saltracer219

Some of the solid lifters have a belleville disc type retainer instead of a snap or spring ring, I have a set of that type, they look like there is no retainer.

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. Thanks for the replies.

Those lifters I have that feel like solids with a clip retainer are solids. And, I looked at the box, they are Crower.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

All the solids I’ve used have had clips. Is it possible that the ones you have that don’t move have been sitting long enough that they rusted shut. It doesn’t take much.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hello Frankie, long time no see on here!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, they do make solid lifters that are not one piece, and have clips. Being an old fart I was surprised when a friend got them for a SBC build, and I told him they were wrong, and appeared to be hydraulic lifters. But took one apart and they are solids. So they make solids with and without clips. One piece, and two piece.

Desoto291Hemi and SEAAIRE354 like this.
  14. Again, thanks for all the replies.

Deuces likes this.
  15. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And you'll be happy to "STEP UP" at Frankie's because "we screw the other guy and pass the savings on to you".

vic

16. I might be sick, but I'm still screwin' the other guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might not be at Charlotte. I might go to the ARDC Reunion at the EMMR instead.

17. I used to make slugs to go into hydraulics to convert them to solids. I guess that they could do that too. One lifter blank with different guts.

it just never occurred to me that anyone else was that back yard. :D

Deuces likes this.
  18. Tutashen

Tutashen

That's an heirloom bequeath it to your kids an sell other crap you don't care about an spend the money :)