Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Speedweek 2021 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Feb 17, 2021.

1. On my Android phone I can listen to Slim in one browser window and watch the live feed (which has no commentary) in another browser window at the same time.

Dino 64, loudbang, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  2. It is, no idea how many power plants it has had!?

loudbang likes this.
  3. cam.fran

cam.fran

Just curious. Can anyone tell me what the engine and body designations would be for a 53 f100 sbc/t56. From what I can find i think it would be c/pp or maybe c/mp cause of the engine swap but I don't know the requirements, just looking for a more professional answer

loudbang likes this.
  4. C class is roughly 306 to 372 cid. Because it is not a production block avail. in that truck (GM vs Ford)it would be Modified. To run Production you would have to run the correct Y block or Six if it was offered.

loudbang and cam.fran like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a record of 224+ you will need to meet ALL the safety rules for that speed if you ever planning to run at an SCTA-BNI meet. There are also other venues you can run for top speed with other rules and records. Most however use the SCTA mandatory minimum standards..

loudbang likes this.
  6. Yeah JD, I did not get into the details. The best bet if folks are interested in the Salt or Dry lakes is to visit, then find a crew to help out with. This is a DEEP rabbit hole to go down. It is expensive AND time consuming!

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m not one to take on Jessel either.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun is a big part of it but man is it dangerous, especially at the speeds realized here...there was a cycle down as well...thoughts go out to all who have met with misfortune...:oops:

Here is where that safety sanctioned makes surviving a much more possible outcome...

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Risk and rewards

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. cam.fran

cam.fran

If you wanted to go just to make a pass down the salt for your own satisfaction would you still have to run in that same class? Even though you know the truck wouldn't be competitive for the record?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

As well as what the other guys said, buy a rulebook and study it hard. Come out and see what this place is all about. Ask lots of questions, and take lots of pictures.

I did step one probably almost 15 years ago and go back into it for a refresher every now and then. I have been out 4 times now since 2016. The next step for me is to find a local team to get involved with out here, and really start going down that rabbit hole @Tman is talking about.

loudbang, Stogy and cam.fran like this.
  12. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

You have to meet the full safety spec of the chassis and engine combo you are in. No free passes out here. C engine class in a production pickup is a 200+ mph record. You need those tires, cage, fire suppression, etc. I have heard that running USFRA 130 club is a good way to try it out with a lower barrier to entry.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1998 there was a guy at the short course that had a big mid 70's Lincoln coupe that was set up with all the equipment that made it legal to run in it's particular class (record was way faster than the car was) The car would run an honest 150 on every pass. He was charging folks 150.00 to make one pass in the car after they had gone through rookie orientation and had been signed off on it. There were several people who actually did it and a few of them did it to get in their required qualification pass for their 150 mph card. One Japanese Tourist did it and had a story to tell for a lifetime. When the clocks on the long course got knocked out by a lightning strike on Thursday that week and they moved the clocks from one of the other courses they had the Lincoln make a pass to make sure that the clocks were working right. The car went out and knocked off it's right at 150 mph at each mile speeds and it was back to racing until the rain ran us out.

14. trollst

trollst

Man, every morning I check this thread, second year the border closed, second year, I was READY to go.....makes me want to puke, getting too old to keep waiting.....

b-bop, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang in there LeRoy! We'll get there.....chin up!

Stogy, trollst, Tman and 2 others like this.
  16. A Boner

A Boner

Tim Johnson called in sick today (MONDAY), so he is still at Bonneville Speed Week, and broadcasting his live video feed on the S.C.T.A website!!!

Audio...Seldom Seen Slim https://scta-bni.org/

Video...Tim Johnson http://lsrlive.com/

Be sure to turn on the volume...lower right corner!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Speed Gems, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

His sound has been sporadic this morning.

loudbang likes this.
  18. I think the issue is that Meredix software. In this day and age where everyone has a podcast there are far easier ways to get the sound out. Slim got this gig by default as well as the technology.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. trollst

trollst

Thanks, next year the salt will be crap, but, dammit, I'm going.....

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Timmy
    Hit 191.7 mph in his y block roadster with a 12mph headwind! Sounds like he’ll get his 200 this week

Rex rods did a 133mph successful shake down run as well

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Really need some positive news after yesterday and there is...yippee!!...the Salt Assault continues!!!

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Danny went 388, 399 out the back door in Ferguson's Un-Blown Liner !

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Seems to be a good cell signal on the salt. Lots of love videos of people making their runs being posted from the starting line

Stogy, Speed Gems and Tman like this.
  24. Stogy, Tim and 51504bat like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoping for 200.

6inarow, Stogy and Hamtown Al like this.