Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 348-409 3x2 air cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocketsled59, Aug 6, 2021.

1. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

i bought a ton of parts today. This was in it. 50,60,61 348-409 3x2 air cleaner. I’m curious what it may be worth. I’m in the restoration business and wondered about restoring it for resale but maybe it’s worth more as is? I see reproduction ones for $550-$1200. Any insight is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. No idea on value but I seem to recall only the 348 came with trips.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bornto I believe you are correct. In the restoration business you should know.

Pat

loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

5. Try 348-409.com the guys over there will have an opinion

loudbang and rocketsled59 like this.
  6. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I’m not a Chevy guy. So I have to rely on you guys in the know. I did just discover the 409 wasn’t released till late 61. And was not offered with3x2 induction. That being said this air cleaner is 59,60,61 348. Now to find out it’s possible value.

loudbang likes this.
  7. fordflambe

fordflambe

loudbang and rocketsled59 like this.
  8. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

loudbang likes this.
  9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'd leave it as is, or at most give it an Evaporust bath to get rid of the rust. Full size car tripower air cleaners are pretty rare and expensive these days, since most people replaced them with individual air cleaners back in the day.

Elcohaulic, Bob Lowry and loudbang like this.
  10. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I was thinking the same thing. I would like to find out how to price it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  12. 28rpu

28rpu

Put it on e***. That will price it. I put a single carb with Hemi numbers on that auction site and was surprised and happy with the sell price.

13. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Awesome. I have a lot of stuff to sell but it’s stuff I’m not too familiar with. Thanks for the insight. I don’t think I have any big dollar stuff but still worthwhile pieces. I’m just trying to supplement my income since I can’t seem to get parts for my shop jobs!! Thanks again

loudbang and 28rpu like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-8_4-35-57.png

Hello,

Since my brother purchased his new 1958 black Impala in the fall of 1957, we knew we had a great looking car and a fast one at that. The three carburetors just looked fast in the engine compartment. In the first year, we lived with the all black lid for the air cleaner on our 1958 Impala. The fit and finish was pretty good for the set up from the factory. But, the whole two piece unit came off every time we went to the drags at Lion’s Dragstrip.
    upload_2021-8-8_4-37-6.png
    We even tried these little chrome caps for each carburetor, but always came back to the larger better air filter unit that came stock from the factory. Those little chrome caps were for show only and did little to filter out the dust and flying debris that got scooped up into the engine compartment.
    upload_2021-8-8_4-37-47.png
    One time at Lion’s Dragstrip , we saw a chrome triple air filter and that gave us some idea as to which way to go. But, my brother said it looked too shiny and plain. So, we decided to just use chrome valve covers, Moon Breathers and just chrome the lid of the black air filter. Now, that was enough contrast to give our Impala come differences from other Impalas. Most of the time, the air filter unit was in the trunk when we were racing at Lion’s.
    upload_2021-8-8_4-38-25.png

Jnaki

If the cost of a reproduction is in the $500-1200 range, the stock original one with all of the imprinting on the side and shiny black finish should be worth a lot more. But, it would only appeal to those who want factory original for the 3 carb set up. Most like to show off the three separate carbs with individual carb stacks or caps.

Our idea was that for the thousands of miles we drove the 58 Impala from 1957 fall to the time I sold it in 1965, that air filter inside of that larger 3 hole air cleaner did a wonderful job of keeping the crud out. The contrast of the chrome lid and black base was perfect. The chrome valve covers made it look like a custom detailing. With the shiny black firewall and surrounding black fender shells, it looked very good.

During the 1963-64 summer, before we had our El Camino in the fall of 1964, we even took the 58 Impala out to the Mojave Desert, towing a trailer with two Greeves Desert Racing Motorcycles and extra tools/parts. Yes, it got extremely dirty and it was hot coming home after spending approximately 100 miles of desert racing. But, it did what it was supposed to do, keep the crud from getting into the motor.

Would I re-condition the unit you just got your hands on for future restoration sales? Yes definitely. You are in the business, so you know the value of a version of “new old stock” vs. remanufactured parts. There were a lot of 58 Impalas in our time at Lion’s Dragstrip that did not change over to the triple chrome carb covers. Since those did nothing for air filtering, the nice stock triple air filter and base was the answer for smooth air flow and great air filtration. YRMV

The 280 hp /3 carb versions were very popular at the dragstrip, as they swarmed from all over So Cal. For some reason or other, our black 1958 Impala was a one of a kind hot rod sedan for our area in Bixby Knolls and Southern portion of L.A. County.

rocketsled59 and 1934coupe like this.