Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 42 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Drg racr, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Drg racr

Drg racr

Pulling the '42 Ford Tudor sedan out of the barn, the first time it will see daylight in many years. It has a '48 Flathead V8, but I've never touched one. It will run!!
    Still deciding what route to take with it. IFS, 351W/AOD, 8.8" rear? Take it to somewhat original? Gasser style? So many choices!!
    Should I use the original frame, or find another with the same wheelbase? The frame in the car is still good.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Original, Hamb friendly, 60's Hot Rod

3. Frames are not "universal" even if the wheelbase is the same; best choice for your Ford is the original one that it was birthed with.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  4. Then why replace it? The original can ride just as good as what you mentioned in your post.

anthony myrick and Elcohaulic like this.

5. I have a stock 48 coupe that rides just as good or better than my 2011 F150 so the original suspension should be good if you only replace whats worn out.

Elcohaulic and seb fontana like this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

why do so many amateurs want to use a wrong frame? where does that idea come from?

7. spudshaft

spudshaft

Get it running as is while you research and plan.

das858, Cosmo50 and Elcohaulic like this.
  8. MotorTrend TV

9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Use the frame it was born with to not have trouble titling or registering this car...

504640 likes this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Picture please

11. Budget36

Budget36

Lol. Had a guy stop by years ago for something I was selling. I came out of the shop and with the doors open he could see my ‘36 Ford PU, I’d just finished the frame and had set the cab down on it. No front or rearend, just the bare frame.

He start going on and telling me I need to find an S10 frame, starts touting all the virtues of it, “and man that thing would ride nice” he said.
    I’d about had enough and replied “ I’ve driven a few S10’s, I think they ride like shit”.

12. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Sounds like a nice car the way it is. 42’s of any make are rare birds.

13. I love that. So succinct, so true and the perfect counterpunch.

504640, mgtstumpy and Just Gary like this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Because it's Oh so Easy.:rolleyes:
    Just ask anybody who has never done it.o_O
    ....And it's recommended by all the arm chair "expert builders" who (truth be known) can't change a spark plug, and don't own or have never owned a old car, except when it was "new".

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    X38 and Just Gary like this.
  15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Make it roll.
    Make it stop.
    Make it run.
    Make it go.
    Make it light.

Flathead...my first choice.
    2nd choice....283-327 SBC adapted to the '42 transmission.....easy peasy. The mounts and adapters commonly are available.

gary macdonald and Just Gary like this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

use the '42... when time to register you will be glad you did... the # will be right...
    some states require that you meet the smog regs that the chassis / motor #s had...

Guy Patterson likes this.
  17. belair

belair

"Tinkeritis" kills a lot of perfectly good cars. LITFA and drive it. If you want a go-fast car, you can make this one work, but there are MANY better starting places than a 42 Ford Tudor.

warhorseracing likes this.
  18. Drg racr

Drg racr

What I was thinking of was using an aftermarket IFS kit on the original '42 frame rails. I'm gonna get it running first and see what she does. It might be fun to have an original car for once!!

19. alchemy

alchemy

If you say "IFS" again on the HAMB the thread will get locked. We are all about old style hot rods, not modern stuff.

You will never turn the car into a new Lexus or Challenger, so don't even try. Enjoy it as an old car. Sure you can update the drivetrain and suspension a bit, but don't overdo it and ruin the feel.

20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Do you realize what a 1942 Ford is? We were climbing out of the Depression in late 1941. Design Chief Bob Georgie had this to say about the '42. "We realized war was coming by September of 1940, when the car was designed. As a result, nothing sensational was planned. We just wanted a design that would last."
    The '42 Ford was all new and was going to be a good seller until......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shortly after December 7th, American Industry went into full war production. The last month of production Jan 1942...were Blackout Models with no Chrome trim.
    Total production for all 1942 Ford cars was 160,211 making these very rare. Maybe the rarest of the flathead V8 era with the Blackout Models being....well, very special.
    [​IMG]
    The first Ford B-24 rolled out of Willow Run in May 1942.
    [​IMG]
    Ford also produced the...GPW plus a host of other things.
    There are lots of interesting FoMcCo stories durring these years.
    Edsel making Ford Motor Company one the arsenals for Democracy.
    Edsel dying of stomach cancer in 1943. The Old Man treated Edsel poorly his whole life. Excuse my language but Henry treated his son like shit. Henry the self made man, always disliked those born into wealth. Edsel, his own son was born into wealth, his wealth. Edsel suffered from ulcers probably from his teens. In March of 1943 he died of Stomach cancer. They say the Old Man was lost as a ball in high weeds after Edsel died.
    This let the gangster Harry Bennet (Henry Ford's leg-breaker) a man Henry admired, rise to full power. The war-time profits.....gone. Nobody knows where that money went.
    The US Government brought Henry Ford II out of the Navy to run the company. The first thing he did was throw Bennet out....literally.

A 1942 is a special year. I would strive to keep the car intact as much as possible.

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1945/1946(officially all are 1946 models)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my opinion the '42 was the best looking of the series. With that said I also have a soft spot for the '46.

22. 504640

Thanks for your strong message to this particular non-traditional gear-head! If more alliance members, moderators, or just regular members who care dearly about traditional rods 'n customs, would be so candid in opposition to the blatant disregard for the original, intended purpose of the HAMB, maybe we can get it back!

Jim Bouchard and warhorseracing like this.
  23. It’s easy to get caught up in the change everything concept.
    Fact is you have everything there to build a nice ride.

24. Drg racr

Drg racr

Non-traditional gearhead??? You're kidding me, right?? I've been building hot rods and customs for near a half century. I've done mild to wild. What I was referring to is improving the handling of the car, not sliding an S10 frame under it!! Now I understand where the Hokey part comes from.

25. 504640

I suspect you still don't grasp the concept of traditional rods 'n customs. I note that on you profile page you list, besides your '42, these not quite traditional vehicles as your property:
    1988 S10, 350, 700r4. 1989 Ford F150 Lariat, 95K miles
    According to your profile page you are 54 years old! Since your building career has spanned "near a half century", I must commend you for such an early start! LOL!

26. alchemy

alchemy

I learned to weld at 12, but I wouldn't say I've been building hot rods since then. More like just helping. Actually building hot rods since the age of 4 is really impressive.

Building an old Ford (pre-war) is a lot different than Camaros and Mustangs and late model trucks. Stick around a while, read some threads on similar cars, and I bet you'll get the hang of traditional hot rodding. Get yourself in a hurry and you will be running smack into a wall.

Jim Bouchard, X38 and 504640 like this.
  27. 504640

Drg racr's lack of understanding is not entirely his fault. When I first joined there was somewhere on the site a very detailed description of the concept of traditionalism, and what to be expected by posters! I have heard many complaints of an overzealous administration enforcing their dictates.
    I can no longer find such a detailed description and expectations on the site.
    I also see a lack of consistency in the enforcement of site policies. Once, about 4 years ago, I posted a rear view shot of Ken Moreland's, Bob Bauder built 40 ford tudor. The shot emphasized the big slicks and narrowed rear that was required to gain the distinction of "Worlds Quickest Street Rod"! The post was removed and I was reminded that no pro-street cars are to be covered. If you look up member Sting Ray, you will see a shot of pro-street sting ray being used as his avatar. I believe the pro-street corvette has been used as his avatar photo since 2012, years before and now years after I made the blunder of posting one of the most recognizable '40 fords ever built. Both the '40 and the 'vette are bad-assed and appreciated by me, representing an exciting time in that particular era of hot rodding. But I recognize they are not traditional! A lack of consistency provides mix messaging.
    Although still a great site, which I find to be essential, I would like to have the old, hard-line, traditional rod 'n custom site back!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It seems there's a bit more leeway in Avatar pictures.

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

???

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/new-to-the-h-a-m-b-introduce-yourself-here.18/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

X38 likes this.
  30. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Don't worry about semantics.
    The point many of us are trying to make is the early transverse suspension of the Early Ford 1909-1948 and especially the the Early V8 1932-1948 is very viable design. You'll see anything from Flathead V8s, SBCs, Early Cadillacs, Early Olds, Buick Nailheads, Early Hemis, Y Blocks, FEs, 348/409s, Lincolns V12/Y/MEL and BB Chevys (Mystery Motors) in theses early Ford cars. In a sense the transverse design is the "soul" of the car. It's what makes a Early Ford.
    Will it handle like a new Mustang? No, It will handle like a Early Ford V8 hot Rod, a '42 Ford.
    That's kind of the point.

Dangerousdan likes this.