Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine guys what do you see

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Aug 2, 2021.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Im working on tuning my truck abd i believe i have it close. I broke a valve this weekend so I had to take the head off. Just looking to see if anything bad stands out. Only the exhaust valves have marks on the push rods not sure why.

Thanks Tony 20210802_093558.jpg 20210802_093558.jpg 20210802_093516.jpg 20210802_094233.jpg 20210802_094335.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. i see the push rods are rubbing on the head or gasket.

mgtstumpy and stillrunners like this.
  3. It may be an optical illusion, but the top push rod in the picture looks bent.

Elcohaulic, Beanscoot and alanp561 like this.
  4. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

The plugs look like you have some detonation going on

RodStRace likes this.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed, but my eyes see them as nearly all bent! Probably a camera thing, but they all should be checked regardless!

Chris

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Check the valve guides, rocker pattern on the valve stems etc..
    What valves do have, some of the parts that come with aftermarket heads are junk.

7. The pushrods are fine,,,,,Mopar rods with the cup on top always cast an optical illusion.
    The exhaust valves look like they were sealing well,,,,good color .
    The intakes look somewhat rich,,,or not sealing quite as well .
    When it’s right,,even the intake valves will have a little tan on the surface .
    Not bad though .
    I really don’t see much wrong on the plugs,,,,,looks like they have several hours on them from the street,,,from the wear on the electrode?
    What size engine,,,,360 ?
    Tommy

8. sdluck

sdluck

Didn't this engine eat a cam?Does it have guide plates?

9. greybeard360

greybeard360

That has shaft rockers. The pushrods are probably just touching the heads on some casting flash. I had to check and clearance every Edelbrock head I installed because of that.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. fordor41

fordor41

I thought top and bottom push rods looked bent

11. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Looks to me like the head gasket was leaking on the no 1 cyl. ( lower front corner ) plus the carbon is washed off that piston from the water getting in the cylinder.

12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

This is the 340 that I have in my 37 and spin it to 7000 rpms. While racing I heard a tick and this is what I found. The only problem is I cant find the top of the valve. I pulled the head because I had over .100 valve lash on cyl. no. 1. When I took it apart the intake valve was missing the top of the valve. I checked all the pushrods and they are not bent, but they are rubbing on the head. I have had a little detonation. Running rich is problem that I have been working on slowly, been adjusting jets, by watching my AFR gauge. The plugs have about 10000 miles on them and, the gap was set larger, because the MSD sheets told me to with the higher compression. The pistons come out of the block about .007 of a inch.
    Thanks for the input, I'm glad that everyone is seeing what I am seeing. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything. This motor pulls my truck pretty good and want to get through this year without having to pull it. My plans are to do that over the winter and go through it.

Thanks Tony

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

75321.jpeg Here is qhat it looked like. 20210729_155036.jpg

Deuces, warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  14. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

So it has lash caps on it ?

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

No lash caps, just a missing top of the valve. I had to file it down to get it out of the head, but didnt seem like it was that big of a mushroom for the amount gone.

Tony

loudbang and TA DAD like this.
  16. Joe H

Joe H

It could have just worn off is now dust in the oil filter, don't most valves have a hardened end on them?
    What is interesting is how the quench area of the heads and pistons are clean, and the pockets are full of soot.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

BA77D004-12FA-4E43-B12F-2F28E7DF6A0E.jpeg

What I’m seeing is a parting line where the tip of the stem could have had a dissimilar metal friction welded to it. Lots of valves have a large portion of the stem friction welded to facilitate manufacturing.
    I don’t know what material your valves are but they may have welded tips to provide a hard wear surface, that valve may have simply lost the tip.

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The left cylinder is burning quite differently than the other 3 ?

loudbang likes this.
  19. It had a hardened Stellite tip on top of it,,,,it’s to keep the stems tips from getting beat up .
    If it’s gone and you can’t find it upstairs,,,,,it’s in the oil pan somewhere .

I should have known 340,,,,those lifter bosses looked like they were angled to me,,,,,LoL .
    7000 is very reasonable for that engine,,,,good old Mopar .
    Good looking Harland Sharps there ,,,,I like them !

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  20. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Looks like number three exhaust valve is missing a seat.

21. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

I agree with Kevin looks like regression on the exhaust seat on #3 and pull the pan and look for metal

22. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Replace all the valves. Contact B3 Racing engines for a rocker stand height correction kit.
    Harland rockers should not be bolted directly to the stands. The kit will correct the geometry that causes this damage. You will need new pushrods to go with the stand height correction kit.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What thickness head gasket are you running?

24. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Havent heard of this before. I have been running these for 2 years now and never had a problem yet. I will look into it just to be safe.

TRENDZ likes this.
  25. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

go to the website and read articles 1-4. It has a pretty good explanation with pictures.

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

You seem to have a pretty good handle on the parts and engine details. The SBM has a splayed valvetrain angle AND the offset exhaust rocker. I'd be looking at clearance around the pushrod and how much the rockers move sideways on the shafts. There appears to be spacers between the rockers, but are they also shimmed to a tight tolerance?
    www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/side-clearances-on-mopar-rocker-shafts.124111/
    [​IMG]

27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Good article I will look into this. Never checked it but I will now.

Thanks Tony

RodStRace likes this.
  28. roll the pushrods on a table, if they're bent you'll see it, replace them as needed.

29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

None of the push rods were bent, and motor is back together. Havent driven it yet but it is running good as of now. If it quits raining today I will take it for a ride. Thanks for all the input from everyone here. As usual I have learned more about motors and other things to inspect when needed.

Tony

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

And ....what was done to correct the problem (s) ?

Lil32 likes this.