Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

That a Muncie 318 three speed? I just today finished rebuilding a Muncie 319 (3sp+overdrive) for a friend, that would be a sweet transmission in there.

2. When i did the seats in my 66 i went all the way. I sandblasted the frames and springs then repainted them.. They got new burlap and foam. I most likely will go this same route. Mouse piss is nasty and wont go away.

3. The hardtop is definitely for a '57. Only the '56 and '57 had that waffle pattern headliner. The '56 had a narrow trim piece on the outside front header. The '57 had the wide stainless piece as like this one as seen in your picture.

Thor1, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  4. Thanks for the info. I need all i can get.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

and new foam makes driving much more enjoyable

racer-x, ottoman and Thor1 like this.
  6. noboD

noboD

If you are looking for info get Nolan Adams book called, Corvette Restoration and Technical Guide. You would want Volume 1. That would give you the most info how they were built, not necessarily how they should be.

7. I ordered the book lazt week. It came highly recommended. Thanks.

8. Squirrel your right. Most guys forget the foam. They end up sitting in the seat instead of sitting on it. The seats in this car have really good foam. They could be reused. Im conserned about smell.

catdad49, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  9. Smell wise, pick up an ozone machine. Obviously wash foam as you can, if you can, when you disassemble.

Small ozone machine in a confined area with whatever smells, will do wonders. Works for mildew/mold/smell prohibition.

You may be familiar with the machines in your career path .. but do be aware to not place anything living inside the constrained space of the machine while running.

They're cheap on Amazon or wherever you're inclined to purchase. Thread content regarding said machine by @scotty t and his Corvette fumigation, is here on the HAMB.

Good luck, as always !!

ottoman, Thor1, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  10. @kidcampbell71 turned me on to small ozone machines, it worked wonders for my ole 57.

Thor1, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  11. I will be looking into it. Is that a permanent fix? My buddy just picked up the seats. I have a few weeks until the covers show up.

loudbang, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. It’s been a couple years with no sign of mold.

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazon wouldn't ship the one I bought to California. Had to send it to my son in Washington state and picked it up when I visited him.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Yes sir.

Classified as a biocidal to destroy, deter, render harmless, or exert a controlling effect on any biologically compelled substance, microorganism, or smell.

Also banned in California. Sounds fun, right ??

Ozone destroys biological odors, bacteria, smoke, molds, & anything "living" inside of its environment.

It breaks down reasonably fast into breathable oxygen. **Ozone is 3 molecules of oxygen.

Use the generator responsibly .. you can’t be in the same room while in operation. This is the rule on commercial sized units. Although even with the smaller units, I suggest same. Noone needs that stuff in your lungs, or on your person.

Clean your seat foam however you deem appropriate. If something more neutral like baking soda, vinegar, soda water, or soap & water doesn’t do it. Ozone will save your parts from the trash heap.

@51504bat beat me to the California provision. Ha !! You know its gotta' be good stuff, if California says no. :D

Any questions, DM me. Can call if need be .. but a world class surgeon, mechanical extraordinaire, & nitro enthusiast surely has this at ease.

Hell, you may install one under your supercharger when done. :cool:

VANDENPLAS, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  15. That two tone silver 'Vette is a 78 25th Anniversary Edition. Nothing real special about those. The Indy Pace Car model, the black and silver one has a special VIN series, the last six digits starts with a "5" if memory is correct, different numbering system than the normal cars had that year.

Those wheels, YJ8 option were a hot commodity in the late 70's. I had a set on my o/t El Camino in '79. Also the Pace Car were highly polished and had a red stripe around the outer rim flat.

16. All good info. Thanks.
    Todays fun is cleaning the engine compartment. This car must have been stored with the hood off. The same slimy dirt is on everything. I have been spraying purple power and wiping for some time. Its starting to come around. The different colors and finishes on the parts are starting to show. The oil was changed today. There was no filter in the can. Thats nice. I started to remove the tail pipes then stopped. Theres alot of hangers under there. Some look original some dont. Theres some heavy rubber that might have been a loop of some kind bolted to the frame on both sides.
    I thought i would find a service manual at the swap meet this weekend. The guy was out. I will order a repro this week so i can keep moving on that project. Some of the parts i ordered should start showing up this week.
    20210801_143326.jpg 20210801_143333.jpg

17. alchemy

alchemy

That's the axle hanger, isn't it?

18. I have been scrubbing; buffing; washing; scraping; fixing things for the last three weeks. I wanted to push it outside and step back for a look at the progress. Its not bad at 20 feet and not too bad close up as a survivor. I get motivation from before and after pics. When i was done taking pics i took the top off. I set it on the grass and scrubbed the head liner. Seeing that the top was off i got after the roof latches. It doesnt end. Im done for today. I dont feel there will be any shame in driving it after im done with it. I just need a few more weeks. 20210801_180952.jpg 20210801_181024.jpg 20210801_181134.jpg 20210801_181144.jpg 20210801_181159.jpg 20210801_181220.jpg 20210801_181237.jpg 20210801_181351.jpg 20210801_182419.jpg 20210801_183327.jpg 20210801_185556.jpg 20210801_185849.jpg

redlineracer42, WC145, bowie and 27 others like this.
  19. noboD

noboD

Limit strap. Buy an assembly manual.

mgtstumpy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  20. The manual is coming this week. I already have the assembly manual. Whats the purpose of these straps? Do i need them?

catdad49, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Rough undercarriage, that will be tough to preserve and look like something when done.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Depends on how spirited you drive it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. I dont plan on doing anything with that for now. Im leaving it as a survivor. I might try to clean it up sometime later. My hands are full with the nitro car and the 66 for some time to come.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.
  24. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The rubber is for the rebound straps for he rear end(axels). Reproduced straps are available from Zip or Corvette Central.

egads, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. Are the straps some kind of primitive anti roll bar?

loudbang likes this.
  26. noboD

noboD

No, they are limit straps. They limit the amount of travel in the rear suspension.

loudbang, Thor1 and racer-x like this.
  27. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Here’s a pic fresh from the garage 5EDA482B-E0C0-40FB-8F8A-FD1B1F49EDE2.jpeg

28. I’ve got some misc small parts from my 57. Heater and associated parts, dash knobs, gauges etc. Let me know if you’re missing some small items.

WC145, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  29. The rebound straps do act somewhat like an anti-roll bar. The rear of the car can only lean as much as the outboard strap will allow. Later C1 Vettes came with a real anti-roll bar in the rear.

loudbang, Thor1 and racer-x like this.
  30. Hey Brian I've got a good friend that lives in franksville, retired engineer from Harley Davidson. Hell you guys might know each other! He's got a 58 vette. Bob Franchione?

catdad49, loudbang and Thor1 like this.