Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Twin Eaton M90 351?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Menchacha, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Menchacha

Menchacha

Need some opinions on an idea I had, saw some guy twin supercharge a big block Chevy with two Eaton m90s off some junkyard pontiac grand prix’s, thinking about doing it to a 351 windsor. Think it would actually make power or just look super flashy? I’m a broke high school student so it’s about as much as I can realistically afford. I’ve made intake manifolds before so it shouldn’t be that hard, but I still don’t know if it’s a great idea. Any opinions?

alanp561 likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you want an engine with a blower, find a source motor (donor car, crate engine from a name mfg. etc.) complete with wiring and ECU. Otherwise, you're never going to get it right.

3. Really? How was that done BEFORE ECU?

Ben

HSF, alanp561, Deuces and 4 others like this.

4. Twin blowers been around for a LONG time... Efficient NO.. Kool factor YES !

4e45f7e019c60139c04027ffd19f4ba3.jpg

There NO stinking ECU"s here.

And yes a custom intake would have to be made.

anthony myrick and alanp561 like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

It wasn't a good idea to use two blowers on a BBC, it's probably not a good idea to use two blowers on a Ford engine. A single blower, the right size, works great.

If you want to put two blowers on just because it looks wild (which is likely why the other guy did it), that's another story. Go for it!

6. If that's the case, I'm sure there are better cost/benefit ways you can spend your money...and effort.

XXL__, alanp561, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  7. woodscaper

woodscaper

If you can get the blowers for little or nothing and have the ability to fab up the intake, GO FOR IT! No better way to learn new stuff and see what works!!!

Boneyard51, Deuces and Menchacha like this.
  8. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

I read up on M90's once. Not worth the effort for the displacement of that little blower.

9. squirrel

squirrel

if they came off of 231 engines, and you put two of them on a 351 engine, you should make a bit more boost than it did in it's original application.

10. From your post,,,,,,I think it would be more flashy than make good power.
    It can be done,,,,,but not on the cheap ,,,,, maybe use one and try that .
    Two just requires a lot more layout and plumbing,,,,,and really doesn’t return much for the effort and money spent .
    I see you have a 46 Ford truck,,,,,it would go nicely in there,,,,and fit under the hood I think .

Tommy

Deuces and Big mike 1968 like this.
  11. Menchacha

Menchacha

yeah only issue with using one is it would act more like a fancy restrictor plate since it was made for a 3.8L

12. Menchacha

Menchacha

Yeah that’s why I’m thinking two instead of one. Cause if one is just enough for a 3.8L, two should be more than enough for a 5.8

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Menchacha

Menchacha

I was thinking about that but I got enough spare parts lying around I wouldn’t have to spend much more than $200

14. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

If you've got access to a lathe, a mill and TIG it can be done.
    But two blowers are gonna create a LOT of heat. You're gonna need a good cooling system and good fuel to prevent it from a nuclear meltdown.
    The pulley system will also take alot of effort to get right.
    sbc twin blowers.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Go for it. When i was building high performance VW engines I wanted to blow one but couldnt find one small enough for the money.W ish I had them back then

Deuces and Menchacha like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

17. Menchacha

Menchacha

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Wrench97

Wrench97

Take a look at the Ford set up on the 3.8l 89-95 tbird super coupe, if you use fuel injection and a tuner package pushing air only in will make the plumbing and fit up will be a lot easier you could even add a CAC package to cool it.

Menchacha likes this.
  19. Menchacha

Menchacha

I’ll take a look into it, was thinking of welding a flange to the back and fitting a carb mount at a 90 degree angle to the back of it

20. Menchacha

Menchacha

Who needs efficiency, as long as it makes at least 5 pounds of boost I’d deem it a screaming success XD

Ned Ludd, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Do you have the super chargers etc ?

trade them or sell them and buy a centrifugal charger for a v8 and be done.

Lots of em for sale for MU$$$$S for not a lot of money used

alanp561, Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  22. Do it! I spent a lot of money to put dual four barrels on a car and it make no more power then it did before but it sure looks cool!!

alanp561, Boneyard51, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  23. tjm73

tjm73

Menchacha, alanp561 and squirrel like this.
  24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I can't believe some of you grumpy old farts. He is a broke high school student who wants to get his hands dirty and fuck some shit up! We should not only be encouraging this, but providing support and sage advice. This kid is a god-damn unicorn these days. Try getting any one of his peers to look up from their phone screens for more than 10 seconds once. Hopefully this sort of tomfoolery and shenanigans will lead to a career in a highly technical field such as engineering or machining, much better than another communications major becoming a "community organizer" and spending his life asking - Do you want fries with that?

25. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

It might work better than expected on a 351; those Eaton blowers, While tiny, are screw blowers, with very good adiabatic efficiency. Won't generate a lot of heat like 2 roots type, and the sizing of 2 in parallel should feed that engine well. It will take some real fabrication skills.

Guy Patterson likes this.
  26. This whole discussion is wayyy OT

5window, XXL__ and loudbang like this.
  27. OT,,,,,I’m not really sure about that .
    Superchargers have been around for a long time,,,,,even twin superchargers .

Now,,,,about the sage advice from a few posts back .
    Twin superchargers will be a lot of plumbing and added headache for a 17 yo broke high school student.
    There is nothing wrong with trying,,,,,but be prepared for the added cash outlay,,and the potential results.
    You have to learn to crawl,,,then walk,,then run .
    Like Clint said,,,,”a man has got to know his limitations.”
    I’m sure he can do it,,,,,but at what cost,,,that’s the question ?

Tommy

X38 likes this.
  28. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I saw a budget build using two at a OT 4th gen F-body forum. Have you tried doing searches on the subject?

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Further... here are some pix of my avatar 27 pickup truck. Single Eaton power'd 3.8L V6 (that's 230 cubes just like a flathead) from a donor Pontiac Grand Prix. Not pretty, hot rod motor wise, but it started on the first hit. Essentially stock motor, modified ECU to bypass some of the security issues by a pro. Wired stock. It was hard to fit under a T / A hood but a creative intake and hood scoop got it done. Makes about 210 lb ft a the rear wheels, 13.96 is my best in the quarter, just shy of 100. Gets 20 mpg at 80 mph on the interstate no problems. I have considered a simple pulley change for more boost. Essentially a take out / drop in. Uses a Camaro V-6 4spd auto. I suppose I could have done 2 blowers like you are planning, chromed everything and hid a lot of the wires to make a show motor. My point still is, I didn't have to do any math or new engineering to get it working. If I wanted an old school blown V8, with multiple blowers, I'd have went to some place like Edelbrock or a pro engine builder and got a dyno tuned motor, all ready out of the box.

ATTACH=full]5133112[/ATTACH] View attachment 5133113 View attachment 5133114 View attachment 5133115 View attachment 5133116
    View attachment 5133112 View attachment 5133112 View attachment 5133113

loudbang likes this.
  30. metalshapes

metalshapes

ECU? What kind of carb is that?

I've never heard of it...