Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chasing a vibration-Solved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51pontiac, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Friend of mine used the generic flathead style biscuits mounts from places like speedway.
    No issues.

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Anthony…thanks. I think I am going to order something along that line. Just doing research now.

Deuces and anthony myrick like this.
  3. I also use em for core support mounts :)

Deuces and 51pontiac like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Where's the other half that @alchemy mentioned early on?

5. squirrel

squirrel

Some vibration is normal....that's why rubber motor mounts exist in the first place, eh?

Hnstray, Deuces, Boneyard51 and 5 others like this.
  6. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Johnny…I used it and the bolts, big base and washers with the temporary cushions. They were not nearly as hard. 86AC1725-D6A2-4B22-B794-6E201393DC53.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ See the little cushion that goes under the frame portion of the mount?
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Here's a better pic.
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  9. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

044FA42E-6F4F-4C37-844C-9CAB25392FC6.jpeg Yup..I had it in place on the old mounts and reused it with the temporary cushions. It works well as an isolator with the large hole. They were in ok shape, not nearly as hard as the biscuit.

Deuces, alanp561 and Johnny Gee like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may not be the best one out there but you can buy the top and bottom pieced for a 52 Ford F-1 Motor mount from Rock Auto for pocket change. 1952 FORD F1 3.9L 239cid V8 Motor Mount | RockAuto
    You do need the cushion top and bottom of the mount on the frame. Otherwise when the cushion collapses a bit the bolt will move enough to bang on the bottom side of the mount on the frame.

Easy to find locally and not very big are 55/57 Chevy motor mount biscuits. they will only work if you have a bolt size hole in the mount though. They won't work if you have a hole for the Ford mount to work with.

Deuces, HemiDeuce and 51pontiac like this.
  11. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Mr48chev…thanks for the link.

Deuces likes this.
  12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

This thread Im sure will help folks in the future. Glad you found the issue.

13. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Interesting read glad you found the problem.
    I have a 57 Chevy truck fresh 383 column shift auto transmission. When I first got it running the shift level would move quite a bit when I stepped on the gas hard. I was using the cheep rubber side mounts that came with the cross member kit. A few weeks ago I installed some new poly mounts fixed the shifter movement but now the rear view mirror has a vibration at certain speeds. Go figure

Deuces likes this.
  14. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Carpok…finding the balance between rigid enough to avoid excessive movement and yet soft enough to absorb the vibrations is the challenge I anticipate for me. As MadMike said in a previous post even unused but old items on the shelf lost their flexibility. I have no doubt it will take some trial and error to find the correct biscuit. Interestingly my peep mirror vibrated a lot but the inside rear view mirror didn’t.
    Cheers

carpok and Deuces like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

Don’t use the biscuits from Speedway, they will collapse in a year. Speaking from experience.

nunattax and Deuces like this.
  16. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Thanks for the heads up!

Deuces likes this.
  17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I think I used biscuits from Bob Drake. Some out there are pretty bad.

18. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Great thread. Glad you pursued it and taught me a thing or two. Well worth your effort.

TrailerTrashToo and 51pontiac like this.
  19. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I've been following, glad you got it!

20. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

I was pretty happy with the swap mounts I picked up, just never used them. I recall looking at all sorts of brands/types from JC whitney to the local hot rod shop, and that was before the internet was any good with searches.
    You can get the replacement mounts with the metal covers. Trans-Dapt 9314
    I like the idea of the covers, they can protect the mounts from oil and junk, and if the old fella from years gone by was correct, when the covers touch the mount is worn down.

Rock Auto pricing is very hard to beat, probably pay more in shipping. FWIW in an OT vehicle I used DEA brand to replace a broken mount, I thought the rubber was a bit firm. But it may have just been the application. Old mount was destroyed so nothing really to compare to.

Poking the bear :p

Deuces, 51pontiac and G-son like this.
  21. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

MadMike…you read my mind..I ordered the Transdapt mounts a couple hours ago. They will be here Monday. I really need to get some miles in this car again. It doesn’t look pretty anymore but is solid and will get some attention over winter.
    Thanks!

Deuces likes this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Or split !

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I used old stock Ford Flathead mounts when I put a 430 MEL in my 55 Ford. But I put one between the engine and frame, one on the bottom and one on the top and put a long bolt through all three. If you do this, just snug the bolt and put a cotter key in it. I lost the nut and ran the fan through the radiator one time! Was super smooth and lasted for years, until I sold it. But that was in 1966, so they weren’t as old as they are now. Henry put good rubber in his cars back then!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Deuces, Desoto291Hemi and 51pontiac like this.
  24. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

478A6B7D-0DEC-46F4-B4D8-7618B37CFCB3.jpeg 62DE0B04-23D7-40CA-BDBD-025F1F0BEE39.jpeg Just to wrap this thread up I figured I would report that the new mounts ( transdapt 9314) are installed and work well. The car is now nice to drive, very little vibration transferred to body, frame or steering. As well, it is now running nice thanks to the complete tune up. Still a few details to tidy up but it is definitely drivable now so it should see some miles on it before the snow falls.
    Big thanks to all who threw in their 2 cents…it was appreciated!

25. Thanks for providing the wrap up summary...been following along on your progress. Fun read and I looked forward to your daily reports and findings.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    51pontiac and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah, all those things that weren't the issue, well, they probably needed a little tightening up anyway, ha ha.

Should be a dream to drive now!

51pontiac and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Just got back from a 20 mile drive, car ran great and I am very encouraged. Had to come home as the gas gauge doesn’t work yet and I wasn’t sure how much gas is in the tank (parts are sitting on the work bench though).You are absolutely right that stuff needed a bit of tightening up and in some cases readjustment. I have loved driving this car from the time we first got it and flat towed it 20 miles home on gravel roads back in 1973 and today’s drive just reaffirmed it, 48 years later. I will be spending my upcoming winter doing odds and ends on it mechanically and my wife and I plan to reupholster it again as well. Not planning any cosmetic changes at this point, sorta like the character it has.
    Cheers all!